marker lights

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
horus-wm
MiniWarGaming Beginner

marker lights

Post by horus-wm » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:52 pm

If a unit is hit with 5 marker lights can a single enemy unit use the marker light list to re-roll 1's and add a +1 to it's BS in that phase? Like is that one tau unit able to re-roll 1's and add a plus to their BS on a dreadnought that has 5 marker lights on it?

Bojazz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Re: marker lights

Post by Bojazz » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:57 pm

Markerlights aren't expended in order to give units bonuses anymore, that was a 7th edition thing. In 8th edition, once a unit has been hit by a markerlight, then the effects of that markerlight are available to all tau models that fire at it, including any models from the same unit that fired the markerlight, so fire your markerlight first!

So if you get 5 markerlights on an enemy unit, then every tau Sept unit in your army can use the bonuses of ALL of the effects on the markerlight table when firing at that unit.
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

Jeffers
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Jeffers » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:15 am

Im not sure thats right. Me and my friend looked at it and we've interpret it as:

5 marker light hits you can do the following:-

Use bonus 5
Use bonus 2 and 3
Use bonys 1 and 4.

The word cumulative needs clarification as the people at gw store are unsure aswell.

If you get all of them then markerlights will be insanely good

jwak
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by jwak » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:51 am

Bojazz is right.

The index says '' when a unit is hit by a markerlight, place a counter next to it for the remainder of the phase'' so they're no longer 'spent' like they were in 7th. The benefits are cumulative, so if you have two markerlight on a dreadnought all Tau Empire models shooting at that dreadnought can reroll ones and fire seeker missiles with their own ballistic skill.

I don't have a copy of the codex to hand, but I know that the basic mechanic of markerlights didn't change from index to codex.

PlazmaBurn
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by PlazmaBurn » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:50 pm

I have another question about markerlights that came up in a game I played the other day, so I'll just add it to this thread:

If a unit has 5 markerlights on it, can units firing at it still reroll ones to hit? Or does the +1 to hit modifier mean that ones become twos, and therefore can't be rerolled?

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:46 am

I'm pretty sure I read in the rulebook that natural rolls of 1's are always autofail so no the roll wouldn't become a 2 as there is always a chance the shot should fail. In that case, you would still get rerolls of 1 even with a BS stat of +2.

Nexus_Crawler
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Nexus_Crawler » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:54 am

Ronin wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:46 am
I'm pretty sure I read in the rulebook that natural rolls of 1's are always autofail so no the roll wouldn't become a 2 as there is always a chance the shot should fail. In that case, you would still get rerolls of 1 even with a BS stat of +2.
This ^
--Necrons, Dark Angels--
--Connoisseur of fine Cheese--

Nexus_Crawler
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Nexus_Crawler » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:57 am

Markerlights are the cats-backside. If 5 end up on any unit, it may as well be erased from the board. When the new Knights drop, then TAU will have a new place in our local meta.
--Necrons, Dark Angels--
--Connoisseur of fine Cheese--

Koonitz
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:39 am

PlazmaBurn wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:50 pm
I have another question about markerlights that came up in a game I played the other day, so I'll just add it to this thread:

If a unit has 5 markerlights on it, can units firing at it still reroll ones to hit? Or does the +1 to hit modifier mean that ones become twos, and therefore can't be rerolled?
Rerolls occur before modifiers. If you hit on 3+, but have a -1 modifier, you cannot reroll the 3, because it is still a hit at the time you decide to reroll. If you miss on 1, but have a +1, you CAN reroll, because you decide whether to reroll while the roll is still a 1.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

PlazmaBurn
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by PlazmaBurn » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:43 am

Thanks for the help, everyone. I'm pretty new to 8th so I'm still getting a handle on the nitty gritty of the rules.

Koonitz
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:57 am

PlazmaBurn wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:43 am
Thanks for the help, everyone. I'm pretty new to 8th so I'm still getting a handle on the nitty gritty of the rules.
To expand, to help your knowledge, note that you can never get a result less than 1 when rolling to hit (per the rules), but you CAN get a result higher than 6. Thus, other effects that trigger on particular extreme results (ie: 1's or 6's) after modifiers, can trigger on more than just those rolls when you have modifiers. (Rerolls occur before modifiers, but these effects occur after modifiers)

For example, plasma overheat occurs on a 1. If the firing model suffers a -1 to hit, then a result of a 1 is still a 1, but a result of a 2 becomes a 1, thus the model will overheat on 1's and 2's. Another example is the Chaos "Death to the False Emperor" rule, which grants Chaos marines an extra attack when they roll a 6+ to hit. If they have a +1 to hit, a 5 becomes a 6 and a 6 becomes a 7. Both trigger the extra attack. I know of at least one rule that grants extra bonuses on 7+ to hit, and there are some models that have a 7+ armour save.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch