GW Teasers/Rumours Discussion

In the future there is only war... Discuss the Warhammer 40K game right here...
Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: GW Teasers/Rumours Discussion

Post by Ronin » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:19 pm

That said, terminator armor on sisters is totally possible considering there are humans who interface with it like some inquisitors.

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:15 pm

The problem with Terminator armour with Sisters is that, really, why don't you just play Space Marines? Because, really, if Sisters get line Terminators the same way Marines do, you're effectively playing human Space Marines.

GW will want the army to feel unique in its own way and giving them Terminator armour will not do that.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mrazek22 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:04 pm

I'm calling this now: The new digital list builder will require micro transactions. Each race is $20, and more than 1 list costs extra. $15 per extra list. Everyone will be back on the free app made by the community which must not be named, within a week. It's going to be the same as every GW app. The app is free, but literally every function costs $$$.

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:13 am

Not sure about the terminator armour, previously, only the Ordo malleus has had wide access to terminator armour (for inquisitors). AFAIK the only human member of the Ordo hereticus that has terminator armour is Tyrus from the old inquisitor rpg.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.

Bojazz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Bojazz » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:39 am

mrazek22 wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:04 pm
I'm calling this now: The new digital list builder will require micro transactions. Each race is $20, and more than 1 list costs extra. $15 per extra list. Everyone will be back on the free app made by the community which must not be named, within a week. It's going to be the same as every GW app. The app is free, but literally every function costs $$$.
I don't think GW has ever done this with their apps. Their painting app has remained 100% free and their free pdf rules downloads have remained 100% free unless you want to pursue the hobby and play with advanced rules. I'm pretty convinced that their rules program will remain free to use with no microtransactions. Although if I am proven wrong I am very willing to eat some humble pie. I love pie.

Speaking of humble bragging, I met the MWG crew briefly today at their adepticon booth. Matt seems especially cool.
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mrazek22 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:04 am

Take a look at their other apps. Freeblade, White Dwarf Magazine, Vermine Tide, Black Library Audio, Carnage, SpaceWolf, Drop Assault, Legions (releasing this year), Regiside, all of their PC games after SoulStone, and their entire business model. All of them contain in-app or in-game purchases, loot packs, micro transactions, and basic EA/Konami type stuff. It's the way the industry is going. You can't just buy 1 complete thing these days. You have to buy the starting thing, then the 12 expansions, then the bonus packs, and if you dont want to grind, there are loot packs available.

So yes. I think their list builder app will be heavily monetized. It's why they prohibit any mention of the other app in their stores. Because it takes their bottom line.

Signet-Powers

Post by Signet-Powers » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:36 am

Koonitz wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:15 pm
The problem with Terminator armour with Sisters is that, really, why don't you just play Space Marines? Because, really, if Sisters get line Terminators the same way Marines do, you're effectively playing human Space Marines.

GW will want the army to feel unique in its own way and giving them Terminator armour will not do that.
I agree, but that's why I suggested a HQ rather than a unit. Normal Canonesses die to easily and Celestine is too over the top surviviable. A single Termie HQ would be a reasonable middle ground I think.
mrazek22 wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:04 am
It's why they prohibit any mention of the other app in their stores. Because it takes their bottom line.
Woah-- What store do you go to?

Bojazz

Post by Bojazz » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:57 am

mrazek22 wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:04 am
Take a look at their other apps. Freeblade, White Dwarf Magazine, Vermine Tide, Black Library Audio, Carnage, SpaceWolf, Drop Assault, Legions (releasing this year), Regiside, all of their PC games after SoulStone, and their entire business model. All of them contain in-app or in-game purchases, loot packs, micro transactions, and basic EA/Konami type stuff. It's the way the industry is going. You can't just buy 1 complete thing these days. You have to buy the starting thing, then the 12 expansions, then the bonus packs, and if you dont want to grind, there are loot packs available.

So yes. I think their list builder app will be heavily monetized. It's why they prohibit any mention of the other app in their stores. Because it takes their bottom line.
Most of those arent even GW apps, they're third party programs GW has sold the use of their IP to. White dwarf has no microtransactions in it unless you call buying a magazine subscription a microtransaction. Same goes with black library. The rest of those just aren't Games workshop. Yes the video gaming industry is currently using microtransactions, but this won't be a video game, it will be a utility. The only similar app out there is an age of Sigmar army rules app that lets you use a warscroll army builder program for a monthly fee.

They are releasing this app in direct competition to battlescribe and army builder, both of which do not have microtransactions, and they've advertised it as being 100% free.
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mrazek22 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:47 am

Hey, if you really think that GW doesn't get a cut out of every single micro-transaction, or isn't part of the monatization scheme that exists today in game companies, I can't change your mind.

However,I can say I believe that their app will be 100% free to download, with additional charges thereafter, which would meet their 100% free criteria and also my prediction.

Also, they CANNOT compete with Battlescribe. They just can't. It's like saying IE competes with Firefox. No company in their right mind would dedicate paid staff members to the creation of an item that will bring them ZERO return. Firefox is successful because it's not beholden to investors. The only way it will be more effective is if they watermark lists made with their builder, and they will not accept 3rd party built lists.

How many times does this literally need to happen before you realize you've been screwed? How does the digital edition of a codex cost almost the same as a paper copy?

The app will have associated costs, and Battlescribe will continue to be banned.

Koonitz
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:31 am

mrazek22 wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:47 am
Also, they CANNOT compete with Battlescribe. They just can't. It's like saying IE competes with Firefox. No company in their right mind would dedicate paid staff members to the creation of an item that will bring them ZERO return. Firefox is successful because it's not beholden to investors. The only way it will be more effective is if they watermark lists made with their builder, and they will not accept 3rd party built lists.

How many times does this literally need to happen before you realize you've been screwed? How does the digital edition of a codex cost almost the same as a paper copy?

The app will have associated costs, and Battlescribe will continue to be banned.
To a point, I do not disagree with you. However, when was the last time you purchased no name brand cola over Coca cola or Pepsi? An official branded product is more expensive, but is objectively higher quality.

It's nice to have options (especially for those with less disposable income), but the official product will always attract attention for that reason. If GW does pull off a higher quality product and supports it enough that mistakes are fewer, and fixed more often, they will pull market share from Battlescribe.

Personally, I have always refused to use Battlescribe BECAUSE it has so many mistakes. The official book and a piece of paper are all I will ever need (a pen, too, if I don't feel like writing in my own blood). I have come across, witnessed or questioned enough things from that program, that I refuse to rely on it, and will question my opponent on a great deal of things I don't know for certain, myself, if he's using Battlescribe to reference it, unless I also trust the person. And for the love of the Emperor, Tzeentch, Gork (Mork?) or whatever diety you believe in, ALWAYS HAVE YOUR RULEBOOK/CODEX HANDY IF YOU ARE USING BATTLESCRIBE! It's not a rulebook/codex replacement.
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons

mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mrazek22 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:42 am

Koonitz: I love your posts.

That being said, I am just mad over the fact that a squad of necron warriors costs almost half as much as a Necron start collecting box, which is a squad, a leader, and a vehicle.

Ronin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ronin » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:19 pm

If you think that's ridiculous, look at how the tau crisis suit box is 10 dollars away from the start collecting box with a ton more models, lol.

Koonitz

Post by Koonitz » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:35 pm

Ronin wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:19 pm
If you think that's ridiculous, look at how the tau crisis suit box is 10 dollars away from the start collecting box with a ton more models, lol.
Does the Star Collecting Box still have the OLD Crisis suit models in it?
Armies:

mrazek22
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by mrazek22 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:46 pm

ALL I WANT FOR XMAS 2018 IT AN ALL WEAPONS SPRU. Seriously. It comes with like 10 Plasma, 10 Melta, 10 HBs, 10 LCs, 10 MLs, 10 flamer/heavy, 10 of each melee weapon...etc. I would pay 50 bucks for that, in a heart beat. Beats buying three boxes of units I don't need to get their weapons.

Arnathos
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Arnathos » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:19 am

Well, if you play Space marines, of any sort, and don't mind a retro look, Forgeworld has sets of 5 of the same weapon, for almost any new style weapon. Not as cheap as 50 USD, but cheaper than buying 5 of the same squad.
Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.
WH40k:
IG 5000pts[95% Painted]
Word Bearers 10000pts[89% Painted]
WHFB:
Empire 5000pts[95% Painted]

FYI, I'm Dutch, not Finnish, I just live there.