Halp! Turn 1 charging.

If it ain't human, and it ain't from the warp, then it must be Xenos.
zigginator
Now we're getting somewhere...

Halp! Turn 1 charging.

Post by zigginator » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:06 pm

Hi all,

I sunk my teeth into my first 8th edition battle last evening and was absolutely shocked by the aggressiveness of the 9" reinforcement deployment and charging.
My opponent fielded 2 squads of 15 death company with some P/swords and hammers mixed in and Lemartes sandwiched in between them for good measure. 3 bahll predators and 1 furioso was also on the table at 1500pts.

Myself i took 2 squads of 20 warriors and 1 of 19. 1 command barge w/staff of light and 1 overlord w/ staff of light. 3 Crypteks w/staff of light and 1 Triach stalker w/ twin heavy gauss cannon.

I probably spent too many points on my HQ buffers I realise and some war-scythes would've been nice buried in the warrior units

In Short Lemartes allows death-company to re roll failed charges and failed hits. He was pretty much guaranteed to get in and hit with just about everything without touching command dice. I pretty much lost 2 squads of warriors on the first turn.

I did roll poorly for overwatch and my opponent was very successful at rolling saves.

I was wondering how other players are dealing with the first turn charges, do you take throw away units as a meat shield? Keep things in reserve to counter deploy at a later stage? Take a melee unit to counter charge?

Cheers.

Bojazz
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Re: Halp! Turn 1 charging.

Post by Bojazz » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:14 pm

There are a few great ways to deal with deep strikers. You got the main one - bubble wrap units.

- deploy your army spread out throughout your deployment zone so there are no areas over 9" from your units. This is to deny any deep strikers amidst your lines. Place cheap throwaway units conga-lined across the board out front, right at the edge of your deployment zone, with a 3" buffer area between them and your main army. The enemy can only deep strike 9" close to your army, and so can only make a charge into the throwaway unit. If they manage to shoot holes into that unit, then they have to make a 12" charge into the army behind them. Remember that the opponent doesn't NEED to arrive on the first, or even the second turn, so keep your bubble wrap on as long as possible as you move towards your objectives.

- Infiltrators. If you have units that can deploy around the table - use them as area denial for deep strikers. These are generally more expensive than throwaway units, but they are effective nontheless.

- Overwatch. If you have any weapons that are decent at overwatch - deploy them out front to absorb the charge. I'm not sure if tesla can still proc during overwatch, but that might be a decent option.
Craftworld Eldar - Power Level 360
Orks - Power Level 70

zigginator
Now we're getting somewhere...

Re: Halp! Turn 1 charging.

Post by zigginator » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:47 pm

Thanks for the reply. Ill be sure to take some bubble wrap next time.

I was well aware of the 9" deployment as i expected to get charged turn 1 but just wasn't prepared for the Death-company madness.
Even set up my lines so i could not be multi-charged.

But its about time melee armies got some love :P