Are there any good Mecha RPGs?

Discuss paper and pen roleplaying games here.
Reki101
MiniWarGaming Regular

Are there any good Mecha RPGs?

Post by Reki101 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:48 pm

I know that there is a Battletech one, but Ive heard it's overly complex. I've also heard of old Macross and Robotech ones, but I don't know much about them, and I'm always Dubious about older games. And finally, I know about Robotech RPG Tactics, but it's not an RPG despite having "RPG" in the title.
Drive me closer, I want to hit them with my sword.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Are there any good Mecha RPGs?

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:25 pm

Robotech RPG Tactics is a wargame derived from the Robotech RPG - the 'RPG' is in the title to pay homage to its origins.

"Heavy Gear" comes to mind. There's also some Mecha elements in Cthulhutech, if you like mixing Mecha with horror and magic. "MechWarrior" has an RPG as well, though I'm not sure how up to date it is.

There are a few Mecha-based RPGs using the FATE system - "Mecha vs Kaiju" (title says it all), "Apotheosis Drive X" (a Gundam-esque setting) and my personal favourite, "Iron Edda: War of Metal and Bone" which uses Dwarven-crafted Mecha in a Norse Mythology setting.

This is the tip of the iceberg, just literally ones I could pull off the top of my head. There's more out there... lots more.
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

coldsteel
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by coldsteel » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:13 am

If you can find them, the Robotech ones from Palladium was an excellent system.
Crucifiers (SM codex) (11881/703 PL)
Orks (3745/255 PL)
Astra Militarum (####/378 PL)
Fallen Crucifiers (CSM codex) (####/351 PL)
Khornate Daemons (####/65 PL)
Death Guard (2387/128 PL)
Primaris Marines (1099/60 PL)

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:40 pm

Nothing by Palladium can ever be called an "excellent system," sorry.

Mechwarrior, Heavy Gear, and Mekton II are all decent and will scratch a certain itch. Of them, I think Heavy Gear is probably the most interesting in terms of background and mechanics, although the original setting for Battletech/Mechwarrior (AD 3025, pre-Clans) is pretty cool too.

BirthByBullet
First post! Good job, now post more...

Post by BirthByBullet » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:57 pm

I have always lurked around here, love seeing all this awesome stuff, and rarely visit the RPG section of MWG...but you know, I have the same issue-there isn't a lot of Mecha-focused RPG's, especially with some focus into Wargaming even involved with it. Heavy Gear and Battletech really were the only ones.

So I ended up making my own.

Here is some vid's of me GM'ing the game that is right now ongoing, with links in the Description to the RPG.net threads associated with it; https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... DR5pdrj8Iu