ETC advice for Lizardmen

Discuss all you want about the Warhammer game that started it all...
TauDroneController
MiniWarGaming Beginner

ETC advice for Lizardmen

Post by TauDroneController » Wed May 20, 2015 11:48 am

Hi Everybody
I'm going to play my first tournament for WFB ever. It's 2400pts and ETC and I've got very few ideas for what to include in my army except I want a Slaan and a Carnosaurus. I'm playing Lizardmen by the way. I'm used to half competive games normally so tips on tactics would be wonderful. Ideas for lists or what to include in my list are very welcome.
Thanks in advance.

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Re: ETC advice for Lizardmen

Post by TigerDave » Wed May 20, 2015 1:53 pm

TDC -

Aside from the advice others can give you here, you should also visit http://www.lustria-online.com/ for tactics from other cold-blooded.

For me, I can tell you the depredations I have suffered at the scaled hands of these unmentionables ...

2x units of 10 skinks with poisoned javelins. Use them on your enemy's big gribbly. Can march and shoot, and you don't really care too much about penalties as long as you don't need worse than 6s to hit, because 6s are what you're aiming for.

"Cowboy" - I think an old blood or something like that on a carnasaur? Has something like a 1+ Armor Save.

'Dactyls of some sort that get in the backfield and cause problems. I hate them.

Zipding
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Location: Hovering behind your left shoulder, invisibly, of course

Post by Zipding » Wed May 20, 2015 3:09 pm

Slann are the best unit in the Lizardmen list when tricked out properly.

They work really well with Life and Light Magic, although the Lizardmen High Magic and Metal are also pretty decent, avoid Death magic (I'll explain later). Their disciplines are also really good depending on what build you're going with. If you're using Khaine Magic (From End Times: Khaine), grab the discipline that gives you each signature spell of the main rule book. Doing so will give you 64 spells to play with during the game. I personally like Soul of Stone (you can add or subtract 1 to the miscast table), Becalming Cogitation (re roll first failed dispel each magic phase), and Harmonic Convergence (2 additional dice to channel). After that, you choose your magic items, which includes your banner because the Slann can do that and be General at the same time. Standard of Discipline is an easy choice as it will make almost everything within 12" of it essentially have Unbreakable (Cold Blooded Ld 10 with reroll). Other good options for magic items is the Cube of Darkness, Obsidian Talisman (I'm not sure on name, it's the one that gives you MR3), and the Shrieking Blade (I'll get to that later).

In total, your Slann will come to around 500 points or so, which can be around the same price as a Vampire Lord and dominate more of the magic phase.

TigerDave is close to what Cowboys are in the Lizardmen list, they're Scar-Vets on Cold-Ones with Great Weapons and Light Armour. This gives you a Ld8 Cold Blooded S7 death machine that can kill a lot of things. Old Bloods work for this as well if you have the points, but the Slann comes first for Lords allowance. I don't know how well this tactic will work with the Carnosaur, though. Since that is 220 points vs the Cold One's 20, with the Cold One, he'll have a 2+ Armour Save, and the Carnosaur will have a 3+ Armour Save with no additional equipment (1+ and 2+ if you have an Old Blood instead of a Scar-Vet).

Other good things in the Lizardmen list: Stegadons. They wreck everything on the charge with the right upgrade (Sharpened Horns). The Ancient is better than the regular due to increase strength and save along with with their giant blowpipes instead of the bolt thrower.

Bastiladons are okay as well, but they're fairly fragile for the role they seem to be built for. If you do get one, the Solar Engine is better as it can easily destroy a small unit or ruin a combat for your opponent if you roll a 6. It's also quite useful in drawing out dispel dice from your opponent.

A Skink Priest or 2 is nice as it can let you carry an extra dispel scroll and have some fun with Lore of Heavens/Beasts depending on what you choose. I prefer Beasts particularly for Wyssan's Wildform. The +1 Strength and Toughness can be a lifesaver in unfortunate combats.

Small units of Skink Skirmishers are really useful as redirectors due to their speed and weaponry. With their poisoned attacks, they can bring down something big like a Terrorgheist or even another Stegadon with good enough rolling.

Finally, what I was referring to earlier with the Slann is pairing them with Temple Guard. Due to the rules in the Lizardmen book, by giving the Slann a Shrieking Blade, the entire unit essentially has Fear if you have around 20 Temple Guard. Also, this unit automatically becomes Stubborn and Immune to Psychology so long as the Slann is in it and they offer extra wounds to the Slann since the opponent can't target your caster until there are less than 6 Temple Guard remaining. They are also the reason you shouldn't choose Death Magic on a Slann, since Purple Sun is the best spell in that lore, the vortex starts in base to base with the Slann and Temple Guard only have Initiative 2, which means that you could lose a fair chunk of your unit to cast your best spell. Lore of Life though is just mean if you get the right spells. If you get Throne of Vines off, you've pretty much got an indestructible unit unless the dice really do not go in your favour.

Last comment: Whatever you do, never let your opponent get Pit of Shades or Purple Sun of Xereus off. They will end your army (Hooray for I1 and I2 everywhere).
Armies:
Lizardmen: 3200 points
Vampire Counts: 2500 points
Skaven: 2200 points

Amount painted by army:
Lizardmen: 97%
Vampire Counts: 92%
Skaven: 87%

TauDroneController
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by TauDroneController » Wed May 20, 2015 3:17 pm

That's some amazing advoce and I'll be incredibly happy for more, but there's one thing i'd like to clarify. The tournament will not use the Khaine magic rules but will allow 50% Lords.

TigerDave
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by TigerDave » Thu May 21, 2015 8:31 am

My personal opinion is that the lack of End Times magic makes your game stronger, not weaker. Having to roll a D6 to see how many power dice will be allowed to conduct your casting attempt tends to result to "not enough" way more frequently than "wooo-daddy, this is going to be stingy!"

And Zipding, thank you for the corrections! I don't remember exactly what those monsters are - all I do is stomp feet and sulk every time he brings one.