GBXVII: lordazaral's Command Bunker - COMPLETED 31 Jul 2010

yoyomansizzle
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: RED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Re: GBXVII: lordazaral's Command Bunker WIP -Updated 18 Jul 2010

Post by yoyomansizzle » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:39 pm

Its look awesome so far! get it painted :D
Rengar 2012.
"Sizzles picture art is different though. He actually took the time to create the picture he posted using photo shop software. That is creativity. You newb trolls could learn something from him." -Vassago42

lordazaral
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Re: GBXVII: lordazaral's Command Bunker WIP -Updated 18 Jul 2010

Post by lordazaral » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:41 am

One more update after some inactivity. The imperial aquila now sits upon the tower. I was going to add more, but this one was a pain in the wazoo and I don't want to do it again. Took me almost half an hour plus half an hour of trial and error and brain storming. The black on the wings, tail, talons and head have been cut around so it is very 3D and I think it will look magnificent once it gets painted. And, the next pictures you see will be the completed product which will be in a day or two.

Bjorn
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: GBXVII: lordazaral's Command Bunker WIP -Updated 25 Jul 2010

Post by Bjorn » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:15 am

how did you do the aquilla? Lovely piece btw mate,Great job!
Gott mit uns

lordazaral
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by lordazaral » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:13 pm

I printed out this : http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Aquila cut out the image roughly, glued it to some card stock, then cut out the details and glued it on. PAIN IN THE WAZOO. The pieces are thin so they are fragile. I had to glue a couple of them in place seperately.

lordazaral
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by lordazaral » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:03 pm

Almost done putting the texture paint on, then its time for primer and color!!!! No pictures till its complete though, I want some surprise! I'm getting excited. It's taking forever because of all the waiting for paint to dry!!!!!! ARGH!

Blue
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Blue » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:54 pm

When I'm painting terrain I use a hot lamp and a big fan to dry the paint quicker. Also do it when I'm glueing sand down. Speeds the dry time incredibly.

Can't wait to see the finished product.
...Blue
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

lordazaral
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by lordazaral » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:38 pm

After some snags and hang ups and other various delays, it is finished. Not as finished as I would have liked it to be, but this is the best it will be for the deadline. I'm not very happy with it, or I'm not happy with myself, or many be its on of those things where the artist hates his work even though its really good. I don't know, not for me to decide. I think it is bland myself. I could have put a lot more detail and doo dads on it but I procrastinated (story of my life btw) and then had stuff come up this last week that took more time away and I also couldn't force myself to work on it for some reason. But, it's done, and here to compete.

If I had made it just the tower as shown in the first plus some terrain base, I think that I would have had a much better piece than this. I got carried away and bit off more than I could chew. Or maybe I just needed a warm up piece to get myself into the grove of things. I don't know. I do know it could have been better and I'm contemplating making another one, better designed and better constructed and possibly maybe making it into a production piece. I dunno. Too many thoughts at once, such is my curse. Now I'm rambling so I'll shut up lawl.

Sebell
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Re: GBXVII: lordazaral's Command Bunker - COMPLETED 31 Jul 2010

Post by Sebell » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:20 pm

I'm feeling the same way about mine. It looks good, and i really like the raised Aquila on the side of the tower. Though i would make a quick suggestion of maybe grabbing some sand to add to the base or something and seeing how it looks, if it looks better do a quick update, shouldn't take more then a hour.
Raven Guard: 2000 and growing
Painting eyes are the bane of my existence.

I think she missed her calling, she should have been a sister of battle. - Avitus

lordazaral
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by lordazaral » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:08 pm

I'll just go with this. It's just a friendly contest anyhow. I'll just have to do better next month!

hendrics84
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by hendrics84 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:12 pm

lordazaral wrote:I'll just go with this. It's just a friendly contest anyhow. I'll just have to do better next month!
Cannot agree more! Its all just for fun and seeing what eachother can come up with. Great work, the scale is incredible.

The huge building that i made last group build i believe it was, never gets used anymore (mainly cause its an embarkable building), but yours looks like it would be a fun piece to play on.
***Well, you know what they say... When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!***

Bite me once, ouch. Bite me twice and you might be a brain hungry zombie

--+3000pts Chaos
--+3000pts Grey Knights
--1500 pts Dark Eldar

Twaaghh
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Twaaghh » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:54 pm

Stunning. I love how the pictures just seemed to grow. Didn't think it would stop. Make a second and connecting wall and you have a nice campaign set-up. Although this was only for this project I still think you should. :twisted:
Army - [W/D/L]
-{|[+]===================|}- (0%) =2/0/0= Warriors of Chaos - 2500+

lordazaral
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by lordazaral » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:19 pm

I thought about doing that. My original thought was to make it a corner piece bunker of a 9 board complex for an insanely large but not apocalyptic game.

The idea was each of the outlaying boards would be a game of 40k going on, say 1500 pts vs 1000 points. The armies on each table could only affect the army on their table. Once it was destroyed, they could either push into the center, where there would be another, larger defender army which would also be dug in, or they could move to one of the 8 outlying that was adjacent to the board they started on. The defenders goal is to destroy the attackers and the enemies goal is to destroy the army in the center and capture the base. Turns on separate tables would be independent of each other. A table could be on turn 3 and the one next to it could be on turn 1 still. If you joined a battle on a new table, you had to wait for your allies turn to do anything and your turns would be simultaniuosly to his/hers from then on. Needs refining and such, but it was an idea I was messin with in me head.

Ryan
Gold Vault Member

Post by Ryan » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:36 am

That sounds great! Mabey you could talk to miniwargaming or Dragon and see if the'll run one for you!
-Ryan Guzowski
9000 points points of Imperial Smurf Marines!!!!
Yay a full company!
4000pts of Empire

lordazaral
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by lordazaral » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:52 am

That's a little far away for me lol.

Blue
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Blue » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:40 am

Nice completed piece there Lordazaral! It definitely did grow quite a bit from the beginning pictures. Like Sebell said simply adding some small patches of sand here and there and painting it like the walls really gives a good life like feel. But really, it looks great.

...Blue
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

Return to “Group Build XVII (17)”