GBXVII: Hendrics's Hillside Bunker **COMPLETE!* 7/28

hendrics84
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Re: GBXVII: Hendrics's Hillside Bunker (updated 7/11)

Post by hendrics84 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:27 pm

genso6 wrote:Very nice with the monitors and mechanical features! Any army using a fortified location would set up whatever it takes to get the drop on the enemy, and you pulled it off nicely. Reminds me of the Macragge scenario with the communicators
Thanks :D Ive been slacking on working on it right now as i am waiting for my GW Battlefield accesories packs to come in.

I want to play a game with it already, but havnt had a chance to.
***Well, you know what they say... When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!***

Bite me once, ouch. Bite me twice and you might be a brain hungry zombie

--+3000pts Chaos
--+3000pts Grey Knights
--1500 pts Dark Eldar

hendrics84
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by hendrics84 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:40 am

Ok, so the idea that Fallynknives mentioned with the weapon, heres how i decided to do it. TL Heavy Flamer, with a 180 degree arc of fire, mounted to the celing of the bunker. It is shot during the squads shooting phase, provided someone is in base contact with a control pannel in back of the building (therefore making this Marine not able to shoot any other weapons).

I also added some barbed wire around the top, and an access hatch to the roof. I made a ladder on the inside too, still adding the finishing touches to it all.

***Well, you know what they say... When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!***

--+3000pts Chaos
--+3000pts Grey Knights
--1500 pts Dark Eldar

fallynnknivez
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by fallynnknivez » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:13 am

Hey whats the rules for a TL Heavy Flamer? Plus i think you should add barbed wire to the bottom piece and make an entrance (since it is not embarkable) that is the width of a standard marine base, or at least the size of what you want to be able to use it. (25mm prevents my oblits from taking over hehehehehe)

First i think it should get a 40 degree arc like a pintle mounted weapon. If you turned that bad boy 180 it would be spewing flames into the walls of the bunker.

Maybe a die roll at the beginning of the game, on a 1-3 its broken down, 4-6 its working, or maybe every time you try to use it lol. Maybe even a roll of 1 and it overheats causing a savable wound? Just to add some flair to it.

Also, most standard troops can not take a heavy flamer, so i am just thinking that maybe they would not know how to use one? Maybe an extra 10 or so points to the model for the training to use it, or make it take more then one to use it? Only if its a unit that can not take a heavy flamer normally. Otherwise its just kinda like giving a unit a fortified location, plus access to fire all one weapons (not like fire points) and if one chooses not to fire the squad (that can not normally take such a thing) is now equipped with a heavy flamer.

Just my opinion on it for house rules... Then again i have never seen any rules on using building turrets or the like so....

I guess this would be something for my table if you do not use it.
5.2k Necrons (42% Painted)
2.2k Tyranids (55% Painted)

hendrics84

Post by hendrics84 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:41 am

fallynnknivez wrote:Hey whats the rules for a TL Heavy Flamer? Plus i think you should add barbed wire to the bottom piece and make an entrance (since it is not embarkable) that is the width of a standard marine base, or at least the size of what you want to be able to use it. (25mm prevents my oblits from taking over hehehehehe)

First i think it should get a 40 degree arc like a pintle mounted weapon. If you turned that bad boy 180 it would be spewing flames into the walls of the bunker.

Maybe a die roll at the beginning of the game, on a 1-3 its broken down, 4-6 its working, or maybe every time you try to use it lol. Maybe even a roll of 1 and it overheats causing a savable wound? Just to add some flair to it.

Also, most standard troops can not take a heavy flamer, so i am just thinking that maybe they would not know how to use one? Maybe an extra 10 or so points to the model for the training to use it, or make it take more then one to use it? Only if its a unit that can not take a heavy flamer normally. Otherwise its just kinda like giving a unit a fortified location, plus access to fire all one weapons (not like fire points) and if one chooses not to fire the squad (that can not normally take such a thing) is now equipped with a heavy flamer.

Just my opinion on it for house rules... Then again i have never seen any rules on using building turrets or the like so....

TL Flamer is just re-roll to wound. And for making an entrance, i dont think it would really matter as you gotta roll 2d6 for difficult if you want to get over that baricade.

I dont see an issue with it being a 180 arc of fire, as its modeled it should have a 360 arc, as it is on a turret. For shooting it, flamer templates ignore cover. So as long as your not hittng any friendly units, it should be fine to shoot, rules wise.

As for the guys shooting it, maybe yea, make it so the Marine trying to opperate the turret roll, 4+ and he can shoot it. I just dont want to over complicate it if it gets used in a game. So in most games, it wont be used like that, but like i said, i just think it looks cool.

--+3000pts Chaos
--+3000pts Grey Knights
--1500 pts Dark Eldar

fallynnknivez

Post by fallynnknivez » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:55 am

hendrics84 wrote:
fallynnknivez wrote:Hey whats the rules for a TL Heavy Flamer? Plus i think you should add barbed wire to the bottom piece and make an entrance (since it is not embarkable) that is the width of a standard marine base, or at least the size of what you want to be able to use it. (25mm prevents my oblits from taking over hehehehehe)

TL Flamer is just re-roll to wound. And for making an entrance, i dont think it would really matter as you gotta roll 2d6 for difficult if you want to get over that baricade.

I dont see an issue with it being a 180 arc of fire, as its modeled it should have a 360 arc, as it is on a turret. For shooting it, flamer templates ignore cover. So as long as your not hittng any friendly units, it should be fine to shoot, rules wise.

As for the guys shooting it, maybe yea, make it so the Marine trying to opperate the turret roll, 4+ and he can shoot it. I just dont want to over complicate it if it gets used in a game. So in most games, it wont be used like that, but like i said, i just think it looks cool.
Well yeah i have told ya plenty it is awesome, i am just tryin to help with house rules to make it more entertaining/realistc. In reality i believe this piece (classified as a bunker) would be an embarkable 14 armor building... Or played as a reinforced cave would be a 4+ cover save, and any move on/onto/off of the base acts as difficult terrain (or maybe that is just ruins) but you said it would be difficult to move on it anyways, and with barbed wire around a dangerous test is not a far shot there.

As far as the flamer, your right the arc is fine, but honestly a unit that can not take one as an option should not get the power to use one in game without some sort of drawback... potential to die... 2-10 people have to help negating their shooting phase, a roll of a 1 and they done messed up and take a wound... whateva... Its yours to make house rules for :) Can't wait to play on it.
5.2k Necrons (42% Painted)
2.2k Tyranids (55% Painted)

stevey293
Ribbons Earned: Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Post by stevey293 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:02 pm

the blue bits on the outside look like blue babybells lol. good work on the thing though.

hendrics84

Post by hendrics84 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:49 am

stevey293 wrote:the blue bits on the outside look like blue babybells lol. good work on the thing though.
:) They are glass aquarium beads. Used them as counters for the longest time when playing Magic the Gathering. I saw them sitting there, figured, why not!

Thanks too, ive still got to do some highlighting, also i have to move that barricade up to the edge of the base, due to the "untis firing through cover" rule. I have to make sure that the squad inside can shoot out without their targets getting cover saves...

But dont worry Blue, ill have it done by the due date :mrgreen:

--+3000pts Chaos
--+3000pts Grey Knights
--1500 pts Dark Eldar

hendrics84

Post by hendrics84 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:10 pm

I just added highlights to everything, and am now opening my new package of goodies to finish the piece off with.

--+3000pts Chaos
--+3000pts Grey Knights
--1500 pts Dark Eldar

hendrics84

Re: GBXVII: Hendrics's Hillside Bunker (updated 7/20)

Post by hendrics84 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:59 am

Alright, its complete! I think ive got it to a point to where im happy with it, and have played with it now a few times, works and functions great.

Still have yet to use the heavy flamer some how though. Hope you guys like it.

Re Magnatized the front piece, as well as the ammo crates for use on other pieces if needed

--+3000pts Chaos
--+3000pts Grey Knights
--1500 pts Dark Eldar

Blue
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Re: GBXVII: Hendrics's Hillside Bunker **COMPLETE!* 7/28

Post by Blue » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:18 am

Looks good bro. Nice work!

...Blue
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

Return to “Group Build XVII (17)”