It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: just starting out
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:28 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
HELLO im new to the MTG and just had my first game and im really likeing the green and black decks

can anyone give me advice on how i should set my deck up??

Post subject: Re: just starting out
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:32 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Well, what sort of environment are you playing in? Kitchen table games against Friends? Friday Night magic? Standard Tournaments?

-None

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:11 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
bit of everything bar the kitchen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:32 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

I can help answer any questions but they will need to be a bit more specific

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:45 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

atm im looking for basics so like how many creatures, "magic" and land cards you have in your decks???

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:55 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

most of my decks run 16 or so creatures and 22 land if they are aggro based, if they are control, more like... 4-8 creatures and 26 land.

it really depends on how you want to play, if you want giant green creatures attacking the enemy, then your going to want decent ammount of mana sources, few ramp cards (Search for land) And... big mean creatures you can throw at your enemies' faces.

-None

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:36 am 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

a very very good beginner set up of a 60 card deck would be a rule i use to this day

25-20-15

25 lands, 20 creatures, 15 spells/enchantments

I've place 1st in my regionals 4 times over the past 6 years

and the 25-20-15 is always a great place to start

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:20 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

RecklessFire wrote:
a very very good beginner set up of a 60 card deck would be a rule i use to this day

25-20-15

25 lands, 20 creatures, 15 spells/enchantments

I've place 1st in my regionals 4 times over the past 6 years

and the 25-20-15 is always a great place to start

i think you aybe on to something i have just been useing 20 land 10 magic and around 30ish creature but i never have enough mana so ill look into a deck ith that in

atm ive just made 3 decks
black and green
green and white
white blue and black

they work well but need abit of tweeking

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:28 pm 
Gold Vault Member

Ribbons Earned: RED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
I do a 20/20/20. 20 creatures, 20 land, 20 enchnt, instant, sorcery, and so one ( whatever i missed insert there ) that's usually what i go by, but that's usually a lower costing deck, I'd put a bit more land in and remove some creatures for higher costing goodies. But green is such a good one for pumping out mana quick.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:02 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

one way to really build a deck is to tell yourself that you are never going to restrict any possibilities.

When I first started out I told myself that I only wanted to play black. That in the end was a huge mistake because now I really like red/blue and missed out on a lot of good cards in those colors that I traded away due to my restrictions.

On to deck building. What you need to do to start out is have an idea. Inside that idea you need to find out what your win conditions are. If you are going to kill with creatures think of your aggro strategy and which creatures you think will do the killing. If its spells put in your spells that you want to win the game with and everything you need to protect those spells or yourself until you can cast them.

As for putting in lands normally mono colored decks you want 20-22 lands since each of your lands will be in the color you need. If you are going multiple colors boost that to about 24-26 lands. One thing I really like to do is build my deck and once it is assembled take about 30 minutes or so of just shuffling and drawing 7 cards. You will find if you are hitting what you want in your opening hand more often then not. If you find your hands are always filled with land or ways to get lands and less of your spells/creatures then remove 1 land at a time and add a spell. If you are always spell flooded remove one of your less important spells and add in land, rinse and repeat.

Next thing is trading. If you are going to start trading I would recommend 1 thing and that's know the value of your cards you want to get rid of and the value of the cards you want. Also don't let people pressure you into trading for cards you don't know if you want even if they make it sound too good to pass up.