It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:26 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

OK, to put this simply I started playing back around '95 and played for probably 3 years. I was pretty good, but never bothered getting into the crazy expensive deck combinations. I have not played since then, but my local GW club is getting into Magic. Has the rules changed that much or are they pretty much the same? I know most tournaments now stick to cards no older than 2 years...

I guess I'm out of tournaments. Most are I think Version 3 (?) along with some of the expansion sets from that period (Duelist, Ice Age...). I have a lot of cards... a few thousand. If I stack them up they would be about 2 feet tall. I used to work for a guy that owned a comic store and he would sell me boxes of boosters for 40% off. I would then take some of the expensive cards I was not going to use and sell them to someone who would sell them in a college town, so we both made good money. This paid for all my cards about 2x over easy. Back then cards worth $50 were not that uncommon and I sold many worth $20. I still have some very destructive decks, but do not know if the rules work well with them. The rules were pretty solid back then, but some of the wording on the cards were not the best.

My painting services:https://www.facebook.com/toddabbottpainting

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:05 am 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge
Well, one major change in the rules is that there is no longer mana burn. Leftover mana will just disappear. Also, I think there has been some slight changes in how stack works in combat... Not sure, though. Most changes are just streamlining the wordings.

Anyways, you can always play legacy or vintage if your cards are too old for Standard. Another option for starting out anew is Friday Night Magic tournaments, where you form a deck out of three booster packs (you choose one card from the contents of one booster, pass it to the player next to you, and take another card from the cards the player on the other side of you gives, and so on). Also, if you have so much cards, Commander (or Elder Dragon Highlander, as it was originally called) could be a viable option for you. Because I'm lazy, I'll just provide a link to the rules instead of explaining them.

"Tuomir, you're made of win" -ranger
"Tumor is just plain retarted. Tuomir is cooler than that" -jackmrnorris94
"Tuomir has proven his brilliance in this scenario" -The Airman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:31 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Combat damage no longer uses a stack, so you cant hit for damage with a guy and then sacrafice that same guy to do additional damage

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:42 am 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

The lack of mana burn is good. Not being able to sacrifice a card that is destined for the discard pile sounds good too. Can you still tap something destined for the discard pile (say that defended or was targeted by a damage spell)? What about combining monsters to defend?

I think our club is going to allow legacy cards at least for a while... mostly because the store does not even stock the cards yet and many of use are old timers. Do they print the version or date on the cards now? I have not bought any for probably 12 years.

My painting services:https://www.facebook.com/toddabbottpainting

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:11 am 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge
Todda wrote:
Can you still tap something destined for the discard pile (say that defended or was targeted by a damage spell)? What about combining monsters to defend?

Yeah, activated abilities are (usually) instant speed (that's interrupt in old terms), so they go into stack if you use them after your opponent casts a damage spell, resolving first. You can also tap defending creatures, after you've selected the blockers.
Todda wrote:
I think our club is going to allow legacy cards at least for a while... mostly because the store does not even stock the cards yet and many of use are old timers. Do they print the version or date on the cards now? I have not bought any for probably 12 years.

Yeah, there's a set mark on the cards nowadays, a small icon under the picture on the far right side.

"Tuomir, you're made of win" -ranger
"Tumor is just plain retarted. Tuomir is cooler than that" -jackmrnorris94
"Tuomir has proven his brilliance in this scenario" -The Airman