It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: M:TG Sub-Forum and You
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:21 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Hey you! Yes you, the dude (or possibly dudette) reading this post. You might have noticed that the M:TG sub-forum isn't exactly the most active section of MWG. But I have good news, we just hit 2 pages! Yes, we have passed the point of no return and Page 1's capacity for displaying threads has hit critical mass. It has been a long journey and this section has slowly grown, all the while encouraging new players (at least 5 that I can think of) to develop interest in this excellent TCG.

To mark this momentous occasion I will take this opportunity to unveil my latest plan to encourage more activity in this section of the forum. If you are familiar with the Monthly Fluff Contest in Off Topic you'll have a basic understanding of this idea, a Monthly Deck Building Contest. Each month I will create a thread detailing the themes/restrictions for that specific contest and people will, over the course of the month, submit their decks. After which I will either choose a winner or possibly open it up to a vote (I will not be submitting decks for the contest but I might offer a suggestion of my own after a winner is chosen).

The exact details are still undetermined. I would like to avoid some of the issues I had with my Celebrity Deathmatch thread in Off Topic. As such I would appreciate input on how this contest should be handled. Should I be an impartial judge? Should we all vote on them democratically? Or something else (I briefly entertained the notion of asking Cotterbot and Vassago to judge decks with me but haven't discussed it with them)? Also, should the decks be submitted via the thread or should they be PMed to me? Are you concerned that someone might look at your deck and steal an idea or two? I suppose that is a legitimate concern so let's discuss it.

Also, I don't want this thread to be dominated by Monthly Deck Building Contest suggestions... what else can we do to make this sub-forum more interesting/active? Is there something you would like to see that you haven't so far? I, and probably a few other users, would be interested in doing more if we knew people would read our posts and participate. Would you be interested in reading articles or discussions on specific game mechanics? What else can we do? Am I just beating my head against a brick wall here? Think about it, write a post, and make your thoughts heard. If you're reading this right now I want to hear from you. Even if your response is "dreadlord you're nuts." :roll:

Push that reply button now.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:21 pm 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

dreadlord wrote:
Push that reply button now.

What if I hit the 'quote' button, thus bypassing your request and post entirely?

Deck themes sound fun, I'd like to see what the good folks here can come up with, as the strangest combinations pop up all the time in MTG and work. Most of the time.

'Airman, a winner is you. :wink: '-commando_jim
'I <3 you Airman!'-dreadlord
'I <3 you aman!'-Ronin
'I agree with Airman 100%'-Ashran

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:08 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

So ummm... I'm not really complaining but a moderator thought this thread was good enough to sticky and then didn't see fit to add their input? :roll:

Come on fellas, this is a serious question. If you want me to make MTG-related stick figure webcomics I will! They would be really low quality but I'd make them. :|

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:30 pm 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

I think it'd be fun -- you just need a graphic designer with lots of freetime.

And the M:TG section of these here forums in a big boy now! No more diapers.

'Airman, a winner is you. :wink: '-commando_jim
'I <3 you Airman!'-dreadlord
'I <3 you aman!'-Ronin
'I agree with Airman 100%'-Ashran

Last edited by The Airman on Thu May 13, 2010 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:09 am 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

I'd kinda like to see monthly deck challenges. But, really, they don't even have to be contests to see who the best winner is. I'd be involved just to make theoretical decks based on a theme and get input. SO, really, it would be more like:

Monthly Magic Workshop

Or some witty title like that. Really, the point should be more towards helping new players see combos and learn how to fine-tune decks rather than a bunch of vets going "Haha! Mine is better than yours!"