What Has Everyone Else Been Playing Lately?

This is for discussing anything to do with Wizard's Magic, the Gathering card game.
Zero
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

What Has Everyone Else Been Playing Lately?

Post by Zero » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:50 am

So what kind of deck/s have you guys been piloting of late? How has it been performing for you? Is it a casual deck or a competitive deck?

I'm slowly turning my once Junk Aggro deck into more of a "The Rock" deck that uses Deadbridge Chant and runs white for Angel of Serenity, Centaur Healer and Loxodon Smiter. The core of the deck revolves around the Chant, Deathrite Shaman and Varolz, the Scar Striped and I'll be adding Scavenging Ooze once M14 hits as well, so that I have a nice selective engine and can make the Chant a lot less random. I want to come up with a different name though, I've always thought "The Rock" sounded hideous. The idea is to grind your opponent out in a war of attrition, which you'll always win because your creatures are getting fatter, the important ones are coming back, Varolz and Lotleth Troll are nearly impossible to remove and it has lifegain all over the place. Right now it's just a casual deck because I don't have the cards I need, but I definitely want to fine tune it to a solid standard. It hates on Junk Rites very easily too. Definitely a very fun deck though.
What matters creative endless toil
When, at a snatch, oblivion ends the coil?

My awesome blog of awesomeness.

Bone2pick
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: What Has Everyone Else Been Playing Lately?

Post by Bone2pick » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:00 pm

I still play my esper control from time to time but the above deck, bug zombies ftw, is what I'm into the most. It's a tight list, but if it's considered competitive (and I'm sure many wouldn't classify it as such) then it's on the low end of the spectrum. It's got too many bad matchups for the deck to be great, but It has a puncher's chance with its speed and synergy. The addition of Varolz has given it a stronger midgame, and highborn ghoul is a meta call that I'm happy enough with (mainboard at least).

Boros Reckoner still punishes me, along with pillar of flame. I take my beats with those and hope to race, it is what it is.

I played last night and had two big wins against a naya midrange deck that were nail biters. In my first win, after a back and forth early & midgame, I slammed duskmantle seer who was quickly o-ringed on my opponents turn. I then responded with yet another seer who managed to attack on my next turn. My opponent seeing me tapped down (my flier, not lands) dropped Aurelia, the war leader and proceed to alpha strike me to death. Luck was on my side as I had an abrupt decay for the o-ring and blocked/killed Aurelia with my second seer. My turn comes and my opponent takes both duskmantle triggers and then 8 power in the air. :) The second win was epic too but I'm too lazy to type it out.

I'm enjoying the deck enough to keep playing it for a while.
Space Marines excel at warfare because they were designed to excel at everything.

-Primarch Roboute Guilliman

Zeruel13

Post by Zeruel13 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:15 pm

Well I only really play casual so none of my decks are standard legal or even necessarily modern legal (few banned modern cards in some of them). My most recent deck is a shot at blue/white control with a lot of evasion and bounce type effects with a healthy dose of exile and counter cards. My other most recent deck is blue/ red aggro centred around kiln fiends, nivix cyclops and wee dragonauts with a healthy dose of burn, card draw and unblockable tricks. My other decks I own are a blue illusion deck, black with a splash of red vampire deck, a boros themed deck, and orzhov themed deck and a more or less traditional black deck.

m14
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Awarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by m14 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:05 pm

I've been playing a fairly standard Rakdos aggro deck alongside black/white coin flipping (see Flipping Rigged topic). Those are the ones I play most often as far as 60-card goes, with the latter more for casual play. Rakdos is a standard legal deck, and contains minimal M13 and Inistrad. I do have a modern deck, but it's too slow to be competitive in modern. My other favorite deck is a Dimir Grind EDH led by Mirko Vosk.

Zero

Post by Zero » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:23 am

Sounds like a reasonable mix.

Slightly off topic, but I managed to trade a Voice of Resurgence + Sublime Archangel for 2 Deathrite Shaman's, 2 Varolz, the Scar Striped and 2 Temple Gardens. Pretty stoked because as far as I can tell, the Deathrites and Temple Gardens are just going to keep going up, especially once RTR rotates and people stop cracking them in packs, while I just need Varolz for my deck. And I don't think Voice is going to stay around $70 forever...

m14
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Awarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by m14 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:21 am

I think Voice has potential to stay high, especially because of its potential in other formats. Whether that value is in the $70 range is yet to be seen, but it wouldn't be taboo to say it will. The card blessed amazing for a two drop.

MFletch
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Post by MFletch » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:53 pm

Voice does not see much play outside of standard. It seems doubtful that it will suddenly get readily embraced.
Voice of Resurgence is also side boarded out a load and is obviously 2 colours. If standard is took over by 1 or 2 decks which happen to be non gw and voice happens to be bad against them then price will fall.
The other major factor is the demand of other dragonmaze cards, this will push the price of voice down.

Sublime Archangel has more or less consistently been crazy high priced, may as well get out of them before rotation.
Varolz is powerful enough to keep his price going forward, he single handily makes junk aristocrats a deck, he'll make himself another deck post rotation.
Temple garden is one of the most expensive shock lands, that can not last, blue is the best colour. Also the price after they rotate will probably be steady as most people will have their playsets. The price of original shock lands was fairly fixed so I can not see the reprints doing anything crazy.
Deathrite is currently insanely cheap. It does and will see play in all eternal formats, with everyone needing a playset.

Anyway I think the deal looks sweet, as long as you got the cards you need.

khani
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by khani » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:38 pm

I drafted bulgari the other day
..... :mrgreen:
Khani is more OT family then Shas! There I said it! -IGfanatic

Khani I have to admit, you're awesome -wulfrun

In the grim darkness of the near future there is only.... Khani? -the airman

Zero

Post by Zero » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:35 am

khani wrote:I drafted Golgari the other day
..... :mrgreen:
MFletch wrote:Voice does not see much play outside of standard. It seems doubtful that it will suddenly get readily embraced.
Voice of Resurgence is also side boarded out a load and is obviously 2 colours. If standard is took over by 1 or 2 decks which happen to be non gw and voice happens to be bad against them then price will fall.
The other major factor is the demand of other dragonmaze cards, this will push the price of voice down.

Sublime Archangel has more or less consistently been crazy high priced, may as well get out of them before rotation.
Varolz is powerful enough to keep his price going forward, he single handily makes junk aristocrats a deck, he'll make himself another deck post rotation.
Temple garden is one of the most expensive shock lands, that can not last, blue is the best colour. Also the price after they rotate will probably be steady as most people will have their playsets. The price of original shock lands was fairly fixed so I can not see the reprints doing anything crazy.
Deathrite is currently insanely cheap. It does and will see play in all eternal formats, with everyone needing a playset.

Anyway I think the deal looks sweet, as long as you got the cards you need.
From what I can tell the Shocks will all increase after rotation. People will have playsets, sure, but I doubt they'll have a playset of every single colour combination and when they make a new deck that wants those colours they'll be wanting those Shocklands. Plus there's the new players who won't have been around for RTR looking for the Shocks for their modern decks. In any case, I'd say all the Shocks will go up in price after rotation. Not necessarily a huge amount, but enough to warrant me wanting a playset of every colour combination and then some to sell for profit later. I assume the same could be said of Deathrite Shaman and Varolz. Varolz not as much, because he's no nut card, but I have seen a number of Modern decks using him (although I don't know if they were meant to be competitive or just fun, I don't play Modern yet, but either way...).

Voice, though, I can't really justify $70 for it. It's a nice card. Maybe one I could see around the $20-$35 range, and while it has been called the "best card in the format" people also used to trade their foil Sphinx's Revelations for $7. It's good, but I don't think its effect warrants $70.

That's just what I think though, could be completely wrong...

MFletch
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Post by MFletch » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:17 am

Before RtR the original shock lands were a steady $10.

So after RtR there will be more shock lands on the planet and more people playing modern. Hoping these factors cancel out then the original shock lands can drop back down to probably slightly $10 with puts the new ones maybe slightly below it, that the average price should be about $10.

Zero

Post by Zero » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:01 pm

Well then, I was unaware of the price before RTR. Either way, I still think the Deathrite Shaman's will go up to around the $35 mark at least after rotation, considering they're relevant in every single format.

Flindo
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Flindo » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:57 am

I have a Red/black goblin swarm deck, a Green Troll deck, a Blue Merfolk buff deck, a black Relentless Rats deck, a Rakdos deck, and I want to either start a white Kithkin or Cat deck so I have one of each color as a tribal, also when M14 comes out I want to start either a standard or EDH Sliver deck.
Infinity:
Morat 1400 Points
Warmachine:
Skorne 209 Points
Gatormen 141 points
Malifaux:
Gremlins 203 Soul Stones
Relic Knights:
Noh Empire: 68 points

IGfanatic
Ribbons Earned: Mods, please no more ribbons for me. They break!

Post by IGfanatic » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:55 am

To get back into magic I made a red aggro deck. Almost all my cards are 3 or less with the exception of 2 canyon minotaurs and 2 of something else, but is a 3/4 for 4 IIRC. It focuses on destroying small creatures to due immense damage for a low cost. Seeing as most of my guys are 1/1's or 1/2's I'm okay with killing them off for a combo if my opponemt doesn't have anything small.
Iggy's are proud and noble creatures.

The Jank Collective Youtube channel.

Flindo
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Flindo » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:12 pm

IGfanatic wrote:To get back into magic I made a red aggro deck. Almost all my cards are 3 or less with the exception of 2 canyon minotaurs and 2 of something else, but is a 3/4 for 4 IIRC. It focuses on destroying small creatures to due immense damage for a low cost. Seeing as most of my guys are 1/1's or 1/2's I'm okay with killing them off for a combo if my opponemt doesn't have anything small.
I would replace the Canyon Minotaurs, they are over costed with nothing special at all, your paying too much for a 3/3 for 3R, green has a card that is literally the exact same from the same set for one less.
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/ ... eid=279993
Hell, I pay 2GG for a 4/4 Troll with can't be countered, Hexproof and Regen
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/ ... eid=214050
but if your looking for a good red card for the same cost and same damage, hellrider is one of my particular favourites, and if you like goblins, Krenko is beastly.
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/ ... eid=368530
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/ ... eid=253712
Infinity:
Morat 1400 Points
Warmachine:
Skorne 209 Points
Gatormen 141 points
Malifaux:
Gremlins 203 Soul Stones
Relic Knights:
Noh Empire: 68 points

IGfanatic
Ribbons Earned: Mods, please no more ribbons for me. They break!

Post by IGfanatic » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:43 pm

Yeah, you're right. I don't have too many red cards though so I have to wait till wednesday to trade with the other guys.
Iggy's are proud and noble creatures.

The Jank Collective Youtube channel.