Ral Zarek

This is for discussing anything to do with Wizard's Magic, the Gathering card game.
OutcastPython
MiniWarGaming Regular

Ral Zarek

Post by OutcastPython » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:33 pm

I found the planeswalker Ral Zarek in a booster pack I bought after playing 40k this evening. I know he's very rare, but being new to the game, I don't know what his value is ( money and trade). I have been playing the game for about two weeks now and understand the game. I have a red green deck (started from a starter set and I added to from booster packs), so as of now, he doesn't fit into my deck (I don't use blue mana right now). I am thinking of trading him for a planeswalker I could use and a couple of other cards. Could anybody just give me a little direction on how much I should be trading/selling him?

Marit Lage
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Ral Zarek

Post by Marit Lage » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:45 pm

I'd look at prices on either coolsruffinc.com or starcitygames.com to get an idea of the market value of him.
Chaos Space Marine Tactica (old)
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

Zeruel13
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Zeruel13 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:47 pm

Too bad you didn't pull him a couple weeks ago. Back then he was still going for about $40 US, he's now down to about $17 or $70 if you were lucky enough to pull a foil version of him.

Zero

Post by Zero » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:13 am

Maybe you could trade him for a Domri Rade or something. That guy's pretty nuts in my opinion, especially in a creature-heavy deck (as a GR deck should be...).
What matters creative endless toil
When, at a snatch, oblivion ends the coil?

My awesome blog of awesomeness.

OutcastPython
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by OutcastPython » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:32 am

Okay, thanks for the response. I think I will trade him for dmori rade since my deck is pretty creature heavy.

MFletch
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Post by MFletch » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:33 am

Domri rade is a better in a sideboard card. When it is good it is very good indeed.
I would try to trade for the red/green dual lands, they will make your deck play a lot better everytime.

Otherwise Ral Zarek could go up in price, you can just try waiting.

OutcastPython
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by OutcastPython » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:51 am

I actually have a bunch of daul land as is. I think I will keep him and make a blue/red deck around him. I tried out a red/blue deck last night and won 3/4 games. His special rule with the coins is great

Zero

Post by Zero » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:27 am

The thing about the last abilities on just about all Planeswalkers that you'll find out is that you'll almost never get it off. The more experienced you become and the more experienced the people you play with become, the less you'll use it because the second ability will usually be needed or they just won't let you get to his ultimate ability.

But if you like him other than that, then go for it. Just letting you know that you shouldn't judge a Planeswalker by his last ability. It's more of cool thing you get to do every now and again.

OutcastPython
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by OutcastPython » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:52 am

Okay, thanks zero. That is a great point you have. I do like the card, so I believe he will stay in the deck.

Zero

Post by Zero » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:48 am

Yeah my friend picked up 2 today and they were pretty nuts. He RWU control deck, and the -2 ability is pretty powerful. He never got to use the coin flipping, but he was still an impressive force.

MFletch
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Post by MFletch » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:04 pm

Zero wrote:The thing about the last abilities on just about all Planeswalkers that you'll find out is that you'll almost never get it off.
This is really interesting. Each planeswalker is different but most in the current standard are able to ultimate in a good match up.

So Domri rade and tamiyo are good for the ultimate in the esper match up as they can not deal with resolved planeswalkers and the middle ability is not really relevant whereas their emblems just win the game.
Lilly and milling jace vs. control tends to be able to ultimate as tapping up always seems the most appropriate action even compared to the ultimate.
Sorin and artitect of thought vs. aggro the up count tends to keep you alive then if the game goes well they naturally ultimate.

Ral zerek in standard seems to be mostly for the repeatable fire ambush, for value. If your other wraths and burn spells are doing the same job then I have seen Ral ultimate fairly easily but coincidently as you are just saving up to shoot creatures.
Also Ral Zerek in legacy is funny. You play stasis which means nothing untaps; ral keeps the stasis in play with nothing able to happen on either side apart from ral ticking up; ral just wins the game.

OutcastPython
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by OutcastPython » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:43 pm

That's been what happens when he gets into play. I wait until I have some creatures in play (usually better creatures/many mediocre creatures) and then I use Ral's ultimate and win the game

Zero

Post by Zero » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:35 am

OutcastPython wrote:That's been what happens when he gets into play. I wait until I have some creatures in play (usually better creatures/many mediocre creatures) and then I use Ral's ultimate and win the game
And your friends aren't dealing any damage to him in some way? Do they know they can attack Planeswalkers with Creatures? Or that any damage spell that says "target player" (such as Searing Spear) can hit a Planeswalker? Or that Oblivion Ring and Detention Sphere can both Exile Walkers?

I can see what MFletch means about some Walkers going off in good match-ups, except Architect of Thought because even against aggro I think his card draw is very relevant. In fact, I know it is because my friend plays American Control and it hurts when he flips a Supreme Verdict and two burn spells. Either way, my creatures are dying.

The only Planeswalker that I can think of that could reliably get to ultimate in most match-ups is Vraska, though I'm not necessarily saying that's what you'd want to do in most games, just that you can. Against an aggro deck, in order to knock a few loyalty off her they have to sacrifice creatures. Now if they only want to keep her from going ultimate and don't want to waste some of their more nut cards killing her, they're probably only swinging with some small dudes. But then, if they're swinging with small guys I can easily push a Smiter in front of it and just kill it and Vraska stays healthy, so they either have to swing with a lot of them and I may be able to block a few and keep Vraska alive and in the end it's a 3 for 0 or 3 for 1 or whatever. Or they hit with something big and it either dies killing Vraska or my Smiter dies and Vraska goes ultimate.

Obviously all the other forms of removal work on Vraska well enough, probably excluding D-Spheres or O-Rings because she's in the colours of Abrupt Decay, but point is she can ultimate far more easily than other Walkers, and even then there are plenty of ways to stop her if you're running red. Control decks would have a tremendous amount of trouble though.

OutcastPython
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by OutcastPython » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:12 pm

Oh, I just realized that I had learned how to use planeswalkers wrong. The guy I learned from, a guy from my flgs, taught me how to use them wrong...

Zero

Post by Zero » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:35 am

Well that makes sense...

Return to “Magic the Gathering”