Dimir Ultra Mill

This is for discussing anything to do with Wizard's Magic, the Gathering card game.
Nonebutone
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Dimir Ultra Mill

Post by Nonebutone » Tue May 14, 2013 10:52 pm

So Decided i wanted to make an effective Mill deck for standard. Here is what i've got so far:

Land: (22)
(5) Swamps
(7) Islands
(4) Watery Grave
(4) Drowned Catacomb
(2) Nephalia Drownyard

Creatures:(8)
(1) Geralf's Mindcrusher
(1) Evil Twin
(2) Mirko Vosk, Mind Drinker
(4) Consuming Aberration

Enchantments:(4)
(4) Heartless Summoning

Instants:(11)
(4) Far/Away
(4) Thought Scour
(2) Crypt Incursion
(1) Dream Twist

Sorceries:(14)
(4) Breaking/Entering
(4) Mind Grind
(2) Pilfered Plans
(4) Mind Sculpt

Planewalkers:(1)
(1) Jace, Memory adept

So far... It can mill ALOT very quickly, but lacks any defense against faster decks, So i've been looking to change out a few cards.. So far I'm looking at Dimir Charms, and Duskmantle Guildmages to add more "oomph" to the deck, and replacing the "Far/Away" With Cyclonic Rifts.

Thoguths? Ideas to Improve?

-None
"The Humans say, If you build it they will come. Alas each time I build something, Most people tend to Run." -Musing of the Dreadboss.

Zero
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Re: Dimir Ultra Mill

Post by Zero » Tue May 14, 2013 11:58 pm

I think you should run 3 Jace's minimum, then tone down the actual number of mill cards you run so you can run a whole lot of removal instead. This way you basically shut down their whole game while you mill them with Drownyard's, Jace and Mind Sculpt. Jace and the Yard's alone will win you games, it's just a matter of you living long enough for them to do it.

So just pack in as much removal and as many types as possible. I'd also suggest just splashing a little white for Supreme Verdict and Sphinx's Revelation to help you live longer. Devour Flesh would also be a nuts card for you because you don't care about their life total, and I'd say Grisly Spectacle would be a reasonable removal spell in a deck like yours because it does two things you want in one card, and getting all the value you can out of cards is highly important.

So I'd cut the Consuming Aberrations, maybe all the other creatures too except Mirko Vosk (because he does mill really well), Breaking and Entering, Mind Grind, Crypt Incursion (run it sideboard against Junk Rites though, I reckon), and maybe Dream Twist and Pilfered Plans (though I actually don't know what they do...).

Then splash white and run 4 Supreme Verdicts, 2-3 Sphinx's, another 2-3 Jace, Memory Adept, and then just pack the rest with removal.

That's what I'd do anyway.
What matters creative endless toil
When, at a snatch, oblivion ends the coil?

My awesome blog of awesomeness.

Nonebutone
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Nonebutone » Wed May 15, 2013 10:51 am

I'll agree that the deck needs better removal, but alot of the cards you've listed don't really fit the style of deck i want to make.

This deck is meant to be Pure Mill, hence every card in it having some way to mill the opponent, Soon as i start to take the mill out of the mill deck, it starts to lean towards control, which isn't what i want to make.

(hence the lack of any counter spells (including the ones that mill))

-None
"The Humans say, If you build it they will come. Alas each time I build something, Most people tend to Run." -Musing of the Dreadboss.

Zero
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Zero » Thu May 16, 2013 4:17 am

Well then, run 4 Grisly Spectacle at least. Otherwise... Uh... Good luck!
What matters creative endless toil
When, at a snatch, oblivion ends the coil?

My awesome blog of awesomeness.

MFletch
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Post by MFletch » Thu May 16, 2013 11:40 am

You should be looking for something like cremate. If you mill people who use their graveyard then you are likely to get burnt, in the case of harvest pyre literally.

Psychic strike is really strong. Counter spells are really important, this one mills a little as well. For one making sure mind grind actually resolves is crucial.
Pilfered Plans is useful as well. You want to gain card advantage whilst milling, this is precisely what you wish to do. I would be happy to play all 4 copies.
woodlot wurm seems a good card to think about. It is something towards an out to a lot of powerful cards.
Guildgates are really important for 2 colour decks. The fixing makes up for slight tempo loss.

I actually really like the consuming abhoration. Obviously it will just die but it fits the strategy well.
Whereas Mirko Vosk needs to actually attack to do anything, attacking is not the game plan.

I think if you want a pure mill deck. I would go for self mill, into psychic spiral for the win or some of the innistrad favourites that use your own graveyard well.

Heartless Summoning is very risky, it does not combo with clone effects.
Talking of which evil twin is fun, you should play 4.
Thought scour works well with augur of bolas and snap caster, you are playing neither so I would drop the card.

In general I have to reiterate the advice given above. You will need to control the board state before worrying about milling. In some ways all I mean is you can not mill cards quicker than aggro decks can damage you.
Against midrange into control decks aggressive milling might be able to outrace them.

Obviously going into 3 colours give you access to more powerful spells.
If you wish to be nothing like control maybe go for defender deck, you can infinite mana into a sands mill or just door keeper them to death.

Return to “Magic the Gathering”