Getting back in...

This is for discussing anything to do with Wizard's Magic, the Gathering card game.
edsgotjive
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challengeParticipated in King of the Hill

Getting back in...

Post by edsgotjive » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:01 pm

What's the best(cheapest) way to get back into the game? I don't have an LGS, so I may be forced to go to Walmart to buy cards. I was looking at the fat packs and deck builders toolkit, but don't know much about the quality of cards inside. Any suggestions?
Shop Smart...Shop S-Mart.

Marit Lage
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Getting back in...

Post by Marit Lage » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:22 pm

Do you intend to play with friends or on a competitive level?
Chaos Space Marine Tactica (old)
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

edsgotjive
Ribbons Earned: Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challengeParticipated in King of the Hill

Post by edsgotjive » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:26 pm

Hopefully with competitive friends. But much more to the friendly side.

Marit Lage
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Marit Lage » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:36 pm

Then I recommend getting singles from either CoolStuff or StarCity Games. Personally, I prefer CoolStuff (rewards for buying stuff from them in the form of discounts, and $1 for shipping singles) over StarCity, but it would be up to you. I don't recommend getting packs at all, since a sure thing is always better then a gamble.

If you're going to be playing with friends and getting back into the game, probably your best bet would be to pick one or two colors or a theme and build a deck out of that.

As far as competitive friends and playing Magic, I do recommend suggesting using the Legacy banned list, as it will keep things from getting out of hand (take a look at the cards that are on the list and you'll see what I mean), while retaining a huge card pool and deck building flexibility.

And as always, ask questions. I've been playing Magic in a friendly, competitive playgroup, keeping it Legacy keeps things from becoming "who has the most disposable income to build a deck and kill everyone at the table."

Remember that you don't have to only do two player games. Multiplayer is a lot of fun, though three-player games can quickly become a bit awkward.
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

edsgotjive

Post by edsgotjive » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:40 pm

Thanks. Are any of the preconstructed decks worth looking at?

m14
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Awarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by m14 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:19 pm

To get started with, sure. They provide a decent starting place, or collection of new stuff upon release of each set. I'd definitely look into them, but don't count on it being super good.

MFletch
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Post by MFletch » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:44 am

Marit Lage wrote:And as always, ask questions. I've been playing Magic in a friendly, competitive playgroup, keeping it Legacy keeps things from becoming "who has the most disposable income to build a deck and kill everyone at the table."

Remember that you don't have to only do two player games. Multiplayer is a lot of fun, though three-player games can quickly become a bit awkward.
Both of these points are simultaneously both absolutely true but also quite false.

The player who can afford Jace will win, or LED or whichever legacy staple you choose. In the long term legacy is cheaper as you do not replace your cards but for a good deck standard is the cheapest in fact a good standard can very cheap indeed.

Then multiplayer is fun but always deteriorates to politics, then it comes down which deck can deal with multiple opponents so one for one removal is a no go.

I would suggest starting with drafts or sealed. This is the best way/cheapest method to open packs. You get to know cards and learn which could be powerful.
Else if you wish to have a complete deck then maybe go for an event deck. The intro decks tend to be very weak with a few exceptions.
The Rakdos event deck I seem to remember is the most powerful and the cheapest to improve for standard play. It is an aggro deck but you'll find aggro decks tend to be the cheapest for a variety of reasons.
In the long term it will be cheaper just to buy the individual cards for a deck. This way you get the deck you want without buying extra cards. Also buying a complete deck is always best, for example if you do not have the dual lands your deck with perform worse and you will not a feel towards which cards are powerful and fit the deck.

Marit Lage

Post by Marit Lage » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:16 am

He doesn't have a LGS, so drafting might be a problem for him, and standard would be kind of pointless.

I've never had a problem with Jace. A Beast Within or equivalent usually does the job. However, the issue of multiplayer and "money cards" can be solved with a little ingenuity and his playgroup as a whole.
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

MFletch
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Post by MFletch » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:43 am

If you are going to buy cards that are still being printed then we are naturally talking about standard(actually block but nevermind.) You can buy old cards, and get some good ones cheaply it is very true.

Nonstandard do tend to be cheaper, as they are less used. However, it was the mention of 'disposable income' that doesn't sit well- if you are rich you'll beat poor legacy players. I can dream of cheap standard decks that beat the best/most expensive standard decks.

Drafting with friends tends to be cheaper than at a FLGS. If you share the price of a booster box then you can draft together. It is not that expensive to do this, say, once a week then you get some residual money back as you keep the cards.

Jace, the Mind Sculptor may be slightly over rated but I rather be the player who can afford it and plays it.

Marit Lage

Post by Marit Lage » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:27 am

When I said disposable income, I was referring to players playing decks worth upward of a grand. Granted, I do have a Legacy tournament deck that would be worth that much, but it's not something I would ever play in a friendly game, unless I was asked to play it. When it comes to decks I build for fun, I don't like to spend more than $60 on a mana base (usually it's about $20), and $50 on the deck itself. Usually, I'll build something fun for $40 and be happy with it.

Some examples of what I've built for playing with friends:
Venser control
Tribal Demons
Tribal Spiders
Nicol Bolas control
Proliferator

All of these cost about $40, and are fun to play, while remaining competitive. Spiders in particular seems to give most standard decks a headache (Swarmyard and Starstorm tend to be backbreaking when used correctly).
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

edsgotjive

Post by edsgotjive » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:34 pm

I don't really want to be a "net-decker", but are there any good sites to look at to get ideas for building?

Marit Lage

Post by Marit Lage » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:44 pm

edsgotjive wrote:I don't really want to be a "net-decker", but are there any good sites to look at to get ideas for building?
Tappedout.net can be a good resource, if a little random. Personally, I would look up an interesting creature type to build a deck out of, and start from there until you find an interesting mechanic that you would like to try out.
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

edsgotjive

Post by edsgotjive » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:16 pm

Thanks for all the advice!