Slivers! But I have no idea where to start...

This is for discussing anything to do with Wizard's Magic, the Gathering card game.
Genevaman
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Location: The Land of Shamrocks, Leprechauns and Lucky Charms!

Slivers! But I have no idea where to start...

Post by Genevaman » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:02 pm

So I started up magic again a few months ago with a pretty powerful Green/White 'blink' deck and a beastly Black Zombie Aggro deck. These two have worked out really well for me and, with Orzhov being my current RtR project, I've been mostly successful with my games.

Only yesterday I found something out. Something that must seem blatantly obvious to most of you but was news to a come-late returner to the game like like me. Slivers were reprinted as a tribe as some point!

My local meta plays modern almost exclusively so the thought of playing a Sliver deck never even crossed my mind. As far as I had been concerned they were relics of an older time and the only games I'd get with them would be with the few extended players that show up at my LGS. Only now I've learned they were brought back inside the modern format and faded memories of my crazy old Sliver deck are surfacing again (I used to have a playset of Sliver Queens).

But I have very little knowledge of how these new(er) Slivers played. Does anyone have any experience of them? Were they any good as a tribe? Most importantly, what colours would work best in a new Sliver deck.

My old deck was a five colour deck but - with Gemhide Sliver - it seems I could narrow it down to tri-colour. Green seems to be a must, of course, but what else? So far Red, White and Blue have my attention. Any advice?
Always exhaustively argumentative.

Imperial Guard - 2,500pts
Tyranids - 2,000pts
Space Wolves - 2,000pts

Marit Lage
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Slivers! But I have no idea where to start...

Post by Marit Lage » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:46 am

The main issue with the Modern Slivers is that you don't have access to Muscle Sliver, Winged Sliver, and Crystalline Sliver, which are the backbone of the older CounterSliver deck along with Sinew Sliver.

If I had to make a list of playable Slivers available in Modern, here's what I'd pick:
Sinew Sliver
Two-headed Sliver
Pulmonic Sliver
Essence Sliver
Darkheart Sliver
Firewake Sliver
Bonesplitter Sliver
Harmonic Sliver
Necrotic Sliver
Sedge Sliver
Spined Sliver
Gemhide Sliver

For ones I'd actually play in Mordern to start a deck with, here's my pick:
Sinew Sliver
Sedge Sliver
Two-headed Sliver
Harmonic Sliver
Spined Sliver
Chaos Space Marine Tactica (old)
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

Genevaman
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Genevaman » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:14 am

Wasn't Muscle Sliver reprinted though? I could have sworn I saw an updated version of him.

Tyranids - 2,000pts
Space Wolves - 2,000pts

Marit Lage
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Marit Lage » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:17 am

Genevaman wrote:Wasn't Muscle Sliver reprinted though? I could have sworn I saw an updated version of him.
That was in the premium deck; it wasn't a reprint.
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

Genevaman
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Genevaman » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:13 pm

Ah! I see. Bummer. At this rate I might give them a pass. Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it, but these Slivers seem to be a lot different from what I'm used to them being. All of their abilities seem similar to the originals but just watered down - which I don't understand. I mean, yeah, Flying Sliver and Crystaline Sliver were pretty crazy for their cost but not excessively so. Especially nowadays when creatures are stronger than ever.

Pity. I was really excited when somebody showed be Sliver Legion too. I might take a shot at extended if I can convince some people to get into it. My usual opponents seem to have a phobia of anything with the old style border art though.

Tyranids - 2,000pts
Space Wolves - 2,000pts

Marit Lage

Post by Marit Lage » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:46 pm

You got me thinking about this deck now; I'm going to build a modern list for them. I'll post up a list sometime this weekend.
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

Marit Lage

Post by Marit Lage » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:27 pm

I came up with a list in record time! Granted, the meta in Modern is foreign to me, but I tried to come up with some thing that would work well.

Creatures (26)
Sidewinder Sliver x4
Sinew Sliver x4
Sedge Sliver x4
Spined Sliver x4
Two-headed Sliver x3
Firewake Sliver x2
Harmonic Sliver x1
Homing Sliver x2
Darkheart Sliverx1
Telekinetic Sliverx1

Noncreature Spells (12)