Can they even do this?

This is for discussing anything to do with Wizard's Magic, the Gathering card game.
Zero
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Can they even do this?

Post by Zero » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:10 am

In aDaily MTG article about all the combo decks and stuff, one of the decks the guy made used Master of Cruelties to attack and then Ninjitsu to get a creature in and attacking the same turn, even though you normally couldn't. But the wording of ninjitsu I'd that you return target "attacking" creature to your hand, while MoC is only allowed to attack alone, so as far as I can tell you can't even use third combo because you couldn't return one of the Ninjitsu cards to your hand because they can't attack in the first place...

Am I missing something that let's you do this or...?
What matters creative endless toil
When, at a snatch, oblivion ends the coil?

My awesome blog of awesomeness.

Marit Lage
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Can they even do this?

Post by Marit Lage » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:04 am

The restriction only applies to declaring attackers, not anything that happens after. So once he's unblocked and sets their life total to 1, you can then ninjutsu in a guy before combat damage would be assigned.
Chaos Space Marine Tactica (old)
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

MFletch
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Re: Can they even do this?

Post by MFletch » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:20 am

For one it has already been FAQed.
Actually you do not mean declare attackers step you mean declare blockers.
The moment the blockers are declared, the legality of blockers is checked and triggers happen, this will be when 'attacks and is unblocked' will trigger and be put on the stack.

Ninjitsu can only been done after blockers have been declared when you are given priority.

For example, on friday you have the RtR azorius guildmage and are attacking in. Then you opponent blocks and pumps their guys, you probably do not want to detain the blockers as the legality of blockers has already been checked so the 'can not block' clause does nothing.
However, if you have the simic manipulator you have a means to deal with this, as taking control of a creature is one of the few ways to remove a creature from combat.