Dragon's Maze Prerelease.

This is for discussing anything to do with Wizard's Magic, the Gathering card game.
Nonebutone
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Dragon's Maze Prerelease.

Post by Nonebutone » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:53 pm

Anyone going? and if so what guild did you pick for the events?

I've signed up as Boros and Gruul for the two days I'm going for

-None
"The Humans say, If you build it they will come. Alas each time I build something, Most people tend to Run." -Musing of the Dreadboss.

Zero
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Re: Dragon's Maze Prerelease.

Post by Zero » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:16 pm

Yeah I'm going. I preregistered yesterday. I'll be playing with Golgari or Orzhov depending on whose cards I liked more after they're all spoiled. Most likely Golgari though, being my favourite guild...
What matters creative endless toil
When, at a snatch, oblivion ends the coil?

My awesome blog of awesomeness.

Zeruel13

Post by Zeruel13 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:45 pm

I'll be going for sure as well, signing up with either Boros or Orzhov.

m14
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Awarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by m14 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:00 pm

I'm registered for Simic. After seeing a deck for them, I've grown more interested in the guild. Plus it'd be a challenge to make a good deck with the secret ally system, and so a bit more fun.

Zero

Post by Zero » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:41 am

After seeing the cards, definitely Golgari. There are just more cards for them that I'd actually want to use. Hoping my ally is Orzhov though :P

MFletch
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Post by MFletch » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:31 am

I am pretty sure the Dimir guild packs will be short on creatures. This given the slight lack of good low drop creatures(though you need to add 50% to the number as it is a small set) in dragon maze is going to be a problem.
Sealed is a creature heavy format and having 4 packs which might be light with playable creatures that fit a curve and then having dimir is going to mean making a deck is near to impossible.

That is issue I see with golgari: it can be given dimir.

I foresee most decks being 2 colour unplayables, or 3 colour decks with extremely shaky mana bases given their mana curves. This seems naturally more random than gatecrash sealed.

m14

Post by m14 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:52 pm

All that means is that it will be more interesting to see how the day(s) unfold and games get played. I imagine that many a practice game will be played in order to filter out decks and such. I view randomness in terms of deck building to be a teller of player skill. Some get crap, but all will get the core cards they need for at least two colors.

MFletch

Post by MFletch » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:15 pm

Sure deck building is skill intensive.
However, some pools are just plain bad. The prerelease seems to lend itself to bad pools.
I would disagree that everyone will get enough playables for two colours, dragon maze packs are too colour intensive with a lot of guild cards and not many low drop creatures.
The mana fixing is awesome, so in general there should be enough playables overall. Though the issue is mana fixing does not help your curve, frostburn weird and Wojek Halberdiers are great turn 2 plays but it is totally unreasonable to have them both as the turn 2 plays of a deck.

m14

Post by m14 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:17 pm

Design was aiming for a slower sealed format... I found Gatecrash to be nice and slow, yet still enjoyable. Obviously different people think different things, but I feel it's best to save any reservations until Saturday night in the US.

Nonebutone

Post by Nonebutone » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:19 pm

So, stopped by at the game shop where I'll be going to the Pre-release

Seems the "Secret" Guild is not so secret, as the pre-release packs are built with the two guilds facing either side, also was able to switch my Boros to the Black/Green guild...

So I'll be playing
Gruul/Gorgari
Gorgari/Dimir

What a surprise...

-None
"The Humans say, If you build it they will come. Alas each time I build something, Most people tend to Run." -Musing of the Dreadboss.

m14

Post by m14 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:17 pm

Hopefully other FLGS's won't be allowing picky people to choose their secret ally...

Nonebutone

Post by Nonebutone » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:19 am

The guy owning the pre-release i'm going to didn't let me or anyone pick what their secret ally was, he just let me see the pack i was getting before the event lol, hes already made up a "No Trading" sign and stuff, just because its... blantly obvious what your ally is the second you get your prerelease pack.

-None

MFletch

Post by MFletch » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:47 am

Logistically it will be hell for the FLGS issuing out different packs given there are 25 to choose from. So I completely understand them going for no looking on the back.
But I do not see any harm in it.

I can say from the last two prereleases that the guilds touted as the most powerful were not always the first to go. So it seems giving a choice does not lead to power gaming.

m14

Post by m14 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:42 pm

So after 2 solo events, I ended 2-2 in each. My pulls in the second were good, just not in color. Pulling Alms Beast as my Orzhov rare wasn't exactly the best. In a vacuum, I wouldn't like Dragon's Maze, but when combined with RtR and GCR like it should be, I like it. It's really solid, giving each guild some necessary tools to be great.

Zero

Post by Zero » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:33 am

I only played one event, but managed a 2-2 result as well. A pretty significant improvement on my 1-3 result last time I'd say :P

I chose Golgari as my guild and got Dimir as my secret ally, but in the end I ran white over blue. I pulled both a Deathrite Shaman and Voice of Resurgence, so I'm pretty happy with that.

My first game was close. I lost 1-2 because I had no way of dealing with his flying 3/3 that returns a 2 or lower toughness creature to my hand and I couldn't push past his blockers to race, especially when I couldn't get enough creatures down. Second game ended fast with me winning 2-0. Third game went quickly as well, 2-0 for me
Last game I played against a 5-colour deck and he destroyed me in the first and last games, though in the second he got mana screwed and I just beat on him with a 2/2 and 3/2 until I could Phytoburst over if them to end it. Terrible luck on his part.

I'm quite happy with my results, because I feel like I'm improving at Magic in general. One of my friends got a pretty mental pool and went 3-1 with his only loss being to a guy that winds literally every FNM and event he attends.

Return to “Magic the Gathering”