Worldspine Wurm in Reanimator?

This is for discussing anything to do with Wizard's Magic, the Gathering card game.
Zero
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Worldspine Wurm in Reanimator?

Post by Zero » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:51 am

After seeing so many good cards coming out for Junk Reanimator, there's absolutely no way I'm not jumping on that band-waggon.

So I know the Wurm goes back to your deck whenever it hits your graveyard, but what about running it as a 1-of in an attempt to discard it to a Troll our something like that, and then playing Unburial Rites before it's ability triggers? Or can I only do things like that with Instants?
What matters creative endless toil
When, at a snatch, oblivion ends the coil?

My awesome blog of awesomeness.

Marit Lage
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Worldspine Wurm in Reanimator?

Post by Marit Lage » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:54 am

Unburial Rites is a sorcery. You would need instant speed reanimation. The main reason for this is because you can only play sorceries when the stack is empty. With the Wurm's trigger on the stack, it isn't empty until it resolves.
Chaos Space Marine Tactica (old)
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

MFletch
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Post by MFletch » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:40 pm

There are bad modern decks and ok legacy decks which do something similar with
Emrakul, the Aeons Torn . Before it shuffles back into your library you can reanimate it. So the idea is sound.

Through the breach would be good with worldspine wurm, if you wanted an interesting modern deck.

Maybe the effect is combos well with Possibility Storm, a new card from dragonmaze? but probably not.

Unless there is a full combo like human reanimator which goes infinite then reanimator decks work based on playing a mostly fair game with just the reanimator as a bonus.
It is really unlikely you will be able to cast if from your hand, which really limits appeal and does not take over the late game if you do, which makes it not worth the wait of a dead card in your hand.
If you look at the popular high drops for rites decks then they chose Grisselbrand, as he wins games by himself.
Or in standard they choose angel serenity who takes over games, and works well with graveyard based fights.
Also a single or so copy of craterhoof which just acts as a finisher.

All of these have more impact then the wurm and can be played normally if the opponent spends a few turns playing graveyard hate.
Griselbrand is the real problem, as if you are going to play a 9-drop then you may as play him especially as he is in unburial colours.

Zero

Post by Zero » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:58 pm

Well that is a shame, I suppose it's better I learn the rules properly now though as opposed to when I try to build a deck... But in any case, I'm still going to go for reanimator because it looks like too much fun and should be set for write a while, even if Obzedat's Aid isn't as great as Unburial Rites it still does the job.

MFletch

Post by MFletch » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:58 am

There are cards like Defy Death that do not see play. As such I would imagine reanimating creatures with
Obzedat's Aid is not going to be that strong.
Though I suspect there will be a combo deck based on Obzedat's Aid returning an enchantment or planeswalker to the battlefield.

Junk reanimator is one of the most powerful standard decks right now so probably is worth considering.

Zero

Post by Zero » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:34 am

Actually, I think I might take a whack at 5-colour reanimator trying to use Obzedat's to reanimate Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. I'll have to get brewing and see if it could work at all, or if I even need 5 colours and can just get away with not bothering with red and blue.

MFletch

Post by MFletch » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:39 am

Apart from omniscience or maybe griselbrand I can not think of a more powerful standard legal permanent then Nicol.
Again I like reanimation targets to be castable from the hand. This is in case of main board graveyard hate. I guess if you are 5 colours you can faithless loot away uncastable cards.

If there were enchantments like seance that use the graveyard that would be a good starting point. Maybe something along the lines of zombies, as they can be cast from the graveyard using a creature and can be cast for free using rooftop storm.