Blood Scrivener

This is for discussing anything to do with Wizard's Magic, the Gathering card game.
Zero
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Blood Scrivener

Post by Zero » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:36 pm

If you guys have been following the spoilers for Dragon's Maze, then you should have seen Blood Scrivener. Otherwise, it was spoiled in this article on Daily MTG.

Anyway, I'm actually pretty excited for this card, and I'm going to pick up 4 ASAP because I think it has the chance to get pretty darn expensive. But then there's also the chance it'll got the way of Disciple of Bolas (who I've been running 2-of lately btw, fantastic card) and just won't see as much play as was expected.

So it's not as great as Dark Confidant, but he's not standard legal anymore. I think Blood Scrivener is going to be a stellar card in any aggro deck running black and I'm thinking about running 2 in place of some Rancors because I dump my hand pretty often, and hate sitting there top-decking lands. Once Strangleroot Geist rotates I'll probably start running it as a 4-of, but for now the Geist offers more.

Does anyone else plan on running it? What kinds of decks do you guys think it'll find a home in? Do you think it will be a common-place card in Top-8 decks or will it just be another decent card that can't find the right home?
What matters creative endless toil
When, at a snatch, oblivion ends the coil?

My awesome blog of awesomeness.

MFletch
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Re: Blood Scrivener

Post by MFletch » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:44 pm

I believe it can be written as hellbent mechanic. Only one of those cards is around today.

I love drawing cards. However, this doesn't really allow you to use that, as you need to get rid of cards every turn to draw the cards which makes it hardly an advantage.

Liliana of the Veil seems like a sweet combo. This may be enough to push the card into modern.

In general, though, you want to keep cards in hand. Especially if black. You need the promise of threatening removal, or anything. For example, it is normally the case you hold back a land in your hand, this doesn't usually cause any disadvantage to you but means the opponent has to play around spells.
If the opponent had black mana open and an unknown card would you attach rancor? Yes, if you can not play around it, yes, if the removal spell would have happened the turn before but otherwise the risk to rancor is not worth it.
Else you play around wrath effects by sand bagging creatures.

It looks like it will just combo with Sire of Insanity, which at 6 mana and non zombie doesn't seem to really fit in.
If you have to play with no hand to draw 2 cards at least make sure your opponent has no hand.

Maybe pack rat?
land, arbor elf - 5
land, somberwald sage - 4
land, pack rat, Blood Scrivener, at the end of opponent turn pack rat - 0
turn 4 trigger blood scrivener, double pack rat activation. Giving 19 power turn 4, plus maybe a few useful cards in the graveyard.
Seems bit weak but pack rat looks like the only method to empty a hand, and does so at instant speed

Anyway at best I see it as a sideboard card against jund.
2/1 zombie is just not exciting enough, with the jumping-through-hoops-card-draw not strong enough.

Maybe a useful comparison is to the card triumph of ferocity. It only becomes a useful sideboard card, if you do not have to do anything abnormal to naturally draw cards from it.

[they are printing a 3/3 for GG in m14, that would suitable for a strangle root geist replacement. Though strangle root geist is used in Gruul aggro as it is unwrathable, kibler's deck for value with undying and decks that use simic guildmage. So it is hard to replace but probably not needed after rotation.]

Zero
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Re: Blood Scrivener

Post by Zero » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:21 pm

Fair points, I can see there being situations where it's not going to be a very good card. In my deck though, I've been running 21 lands and with the small cost of most of my creatures and the Arbor Elves, I usually dump my hand by around turn 3 or 4 with only 2 lands in play and then I start trying to top deck the right stuff. Do you think Blood Scrivener could be a reasonable 2-of for those situations?

A 3/3 for GG sounds reasonable, though hopefully something a bit less vanilla shows up by then...
What matters creative endless toil
When, at a snatch, oblivion ends the coil?

My awesome blog of awesomeness.