Sealed Deck Builder

This is for discussing anything to do with Wizard's Magic, the Gathering card game.
Zero
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Sealed Deck Builder

Post by Zero » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:56 am

I've become increasingly interested in Sealed and Draft, so for the fun of it I tried out the Sealed Deck Builder on Daily MTG.

Here's what I came up with:
Land (18)
9 Mountain
9 Plains

Creatures (16)
1 Angelic Skirmisher
2 Court Street Denizen
3 Daring Skyjek
2 Ember Beast
1 Firefist Striker
1 Foundry Street Denizen
1 Nav Squad Commandos
1 Skinbrand Goblin
1 Skyknight Legionnaire
1 Spark Trooper
1 Towering Thunderfist
1 Wojek Halberdiers

Other Spells (6)
1 Act of Treason
1 Angelic Edict
1 Holy Mantle
1 Madcap Skills
1 Mugging
1 Skullcrack

I'm curious to hear what you think, and see what you came up with.

As far as I could see, Black was absolute junk, and Blue didn't fare a whole lot better in general. I was sold on White and Red as soon as I saw Angelic Skirmisher, Wojek Halbediers and Spark Trooper all in there, not to mention all the other Battalion guys and generally good cards.
What matters creative endless toil
When, at a snatch, oblivion ends the coil?

My awesome blog of awesomeness.

MFletch
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Re: Sealed Deck Builder

Post by MFletch » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:55 am

Gatecrash is not a good sealed format, but then what sealed format is good.

Green or black with white may have been fine but they do not have enough 2 drops.

Skullcrack doesn't do much. You lose a card, they lose 3 life, they win with that trade.
Madcap Skills and Holy Mantle are too bad against removal to main deck despite how good they can be.
Foundry Street Denizen is a bit vanilla in your list. There is no room for a 1 mana 1/1

Syndic of tythes is a fine magic card. It is a bear with upside, in a format where 2 drops are key with a deck that wants a low curve.
Primordial is one of the few cards in the pool which will 2 for 1 your opponent. Sealed is slow enough to cast 7 drops.
Gargoyles are a good 4 drop, you haven't any. It also gives flyers to your list. They are not much different from assault griffins which you probably think are very playable.
Zarichi tiger is actually a fine 4 drop instead of the griffin, probably does not suit your list.
Righteous charge is a good finisher, you only have the skirmisher that comes down and wins the game for you, it is nice just to have the finishing move.
Debtor's pulpit is insane removal, 5/6 mana is not even that much to pay in sealed.
Aerial manoeuvre might be needed as you little/no combat tricks.

Also 18 lands seems a little high given your current curve stops at a single 6 drop.
Against a good simic deck I would change into black/white or maybe gruul, as you/most boros decks struggle. Debtor's pulpit and the inclusion of skullcrack are the only two real things I question with your choices.

Bone2pick
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Bone2pick » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:14 am

MFletch wrote:Madcap Skills and Holy Mantle are too bad against removal to main deck despite how good they can be.
Strong disagree here. Madcap is playable, but can be cut if your card quality is high enough. As to Holy Mantle, it's a stone-cold-must-play in nearly any and every limited deck that can run it. The card flat out wins games, and it slams through stalled board states. The gamble you get burned with it is more than offset by the games it wins for you.
Space Marines excel at warfare because they were designed to excel at everything.

-Primarch Roboute Guilliman

MFletch
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Post by MFletch » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:34 am

It is fundamentally bad against removal. Gatecrash has very little ways to be 2 for 1ed so this is a big down side.
Like a lot of gratcrash those two are very swingy. Either they have removal and the card is actually bad for you else the card wins games.

Even the deck in question has many outs to a holy mantle, if not out racing it, all of which make the mantel weak.

Bone2pick
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Bone2pick » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:10 pm

It's fundamentally good at winning the game. Some cards have a down side but are still top limited cards, this is one of them. LSV loves the card as well. Personally speaking, if I see this card and I'm white I'm slamming it.
Space Marines excel at warfare because they were designed to excel at everything.

-Primarch Roboute Guilliman

Zero
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Zero » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:54 am

I've heard a good number of people talking about how much weight Madcap Skills pulls in Sealed, and I think I'd rather play it and take my chances with removal than not. It's 2CMC and in Gatecrash there really isn't a whole lot of good removal. It'd be something I'd side out against decks that happen to have picked up all the decent stuff, though. Aside from Enchantments though, I was a touch on the fence about whether I should go for 18 or 17 lands. I suppose I'd cut it to 17 given another shot, lose the Foundry Street Denizen, and then maybe run the Primordial/Gargoyle/Syndic or Tithes.

As for running the Gargoyles purely so I have some 4-drops though, I don't see the point in playing them over an Ember Beast or even Wojek Halberdiers when both cards are better and cheaper. Just because they don't cost 4 mana doesn't mean I wouldn't rather have one down on turn 4 instead of the Gargoyles. I'd probably side in the Gargoyles against someone playing Simic or something though.

Anyway, this is for fun more than anything. No one else is giving it a shot though, I take it?
What matters creative endless toil
When, at a snatch, oblivion ends the coil?

My awesome blog of awesomeness.