Splashing White

This is for discussing anything to do with Wizard's Magic, the Gathering card game.
Zero
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Splashing White

Post by Zero » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:59 am

My base Golgari Aggro deck is pretty much done honestly, and when I was looking around at a third colour to add I was tossing up between red or white, so Jund or Junk. If I went for Jund Aggro I'd pretty much be buying a new deck, maybe using a couple of the cards I own, but I want to keep going the way I am because I feel like Golgari Aggro is pretty strong against everything.

Before I get to the list, I want to note that I won't be playing with Predator Ooze because I intend on hitting up Grand Prix's and the like with it, but there aren't any in Sydney for the rest of the year so by the time I get there the Ooze will have rotated, and there aren't any in my local store anyway. I also might not get the Township depending on availability and cost for the same reason. Obviously other cards I'm currently using will have rotated by then too, but the difference is I actually own them already, so I'll just have to find replacements later.

Junk Aggro:
Land (22)
2x Evolving Wilds
2x Forest
4x Overgrown Tomb
2x Rogue's Passage
4x Sunpetal Grove
4x Temple Garden
4x Woodland Cemetery

Creatures (27)
3x Arbor Elf
2x Deathrite Shaman
4x Dreg Mangler
4x Experiment One
3x Frontline Medic
4x Lotleth Troll
3x Loxodon Smiter
4x Strangleroot Geist

Other Spells (11)
3x Abrupt Decay
2x Increasing Savagery
4x Rancor
1x Tragic Slip
1x Ultimate Price

Sideboard (15)
4x Duress
2x Golgari Charm
1x Ground Seal
1x Rest in Peace
3x Vampire Nighthawk
2x Vraska, the Unseen
1x Tragic Slip
1x Ultimate Price

White is for Loxodon Smiter and Frontline Medic right now, but I was considering even a few Rhox Faithmenders in the sideboard along with Trostani and/or some other forms of lifegain to really put a stop to any would-be racers so I can play the control player a bit more in those matchups.

Open to other suggestions as well.
What matters creative endless toil
When, at a snatch, oblivion ends the coil?

My awesome blog of awesomeness.

MFletch
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Re: Splashing White

Post by MFletch » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:38 pm

I would recommend concentrating on block before rotation if next year is your plan.

Could we get a vault of the archangel over a gavony township, it would appear to better fit your list.
Resto. angel or lingering souls would be nice in this list, though expensive they should keep some value post rotation.

I would go for the full 4 loxodon Smiters, they are great against Jund midrange and against aggro-that is enough match ups where you would want 4 to have it main.

Vraska is too expensive and doesn't do enough. O-rings would be better alternative. Or big garruk if you plan for the game to go long.
I would not use RIP as it disables your list too much, I would instead use 2 deathrite shamans in the sideboard.

Bone2pick
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Bone2pick » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:28 pm

Cards for the most part look ok, but I think it's a wasted opportunity imo. :wink: Kidding around to an extent, but for my taste junk aggro is the perfect place to play junk zombies. I'm talking grave crawlers, loleth trolls, dread manglers, diregraf ghouls, messengers; plus you get to play cavern of souls for value. That's how I'd do it with junk. 8)
Space Marines excel at warfare because they were designed to excel at everything.

-Primarch Roboute Guilliman

Zero

Post by Zero » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:03 pm

So 4x Loxodon Smiter, 2x Oblivion Ring over Vraska and 2x Deathrite Shaman over RIP and Ground Seal.

I was thinking about maindecking 1 or 2 Garruk, Primal Hunter's instead of the Increasing Savagery's because despite my low land count I do tend to hit 5 lands over the course of a game and with Arbor Elf I don't even necessarily have to do that, and he's probably my favourite Planeswalker at the moment. Card advantage in aggro would also be nice.

I can see what you mean B2P, but the deck has been performing nicely and I feel no real urge to change my game-plan too much, just to improve it.

Zero

Post by Zero » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:24 am

Update:
I bought 3 Frontline Medics and got 4 Loxodon Smiters and I've been extremely impressed with them in the games I've played with them in my deck. Unfortunately the store didn't have any of the proper WG dual lands so I just had to deal with 4 Selesnya Guildgates and a few Plains, but aside from the occassional awkwardness of my mana the deck runs pretty smooth and both the white cards have been some nice additions.

I've also opted for 2x Deadbridge Goliath over the 2x Increasing Savagery because I found there were times when I preferred the extra body over the buff to a creature, and in those times the extra body would have been monumental whereas the Increasing Savagery, while a very good card, never really proves itself to be quite as important. At best it lets me end games insanely fast when I get off to an aggro start, but at worst it just means whatever blocker I cast it on will definitely kill whatever it's blocking. The Deadbridge doesn't necessarily let me end games turn 4, but it's much more reliable in what it does.

I'm also working on what to drop for at least one Oblivion Ring maindeck, if not 2. Maybe just an Abrupt Decay.

Last of all, is my 3-drop slot too crammed? I was thinking about just running 3 of each of the Mangler, Smiter and Medic to keep it to 9 3-drops so I don't get a whole hand full of them, and right now I don't really know which (if any) is more important than the others.

Last little note: The Medic is so OP. Swinging with him and all my other creatures and making them all Indestructible was just crushing for my opponent.

Bone2pick
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Bone2pick » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:58 am

Because I had the time and inclination this morning, I made a list using your cards. Here's what I'd run while trying to keep the spirit of your deck intact.

Creatures (27)
4 x Arbor Elf
4 x Experiment One
4 x Lotleth Troll
4 x Strangleroot Geist
4 x Dreg Mangler
3 x Frontline Medic
2 x Loxodon Smiter
2 x Deadbridge Goliath

Other Spells (11)
4 x Rancor
1 x Tragic Slip
3 x Abrupt Decay
1 x Ultimate Price
1 x Oblivion Ring
1 x Garruk, Primal Hunter

As you can see I dropped the deathrites that were main board, they just aren't aggro enough imo to be there. If it was me, and that's what this hypothetical is, then I only want creatures that I feel good about swinging with (specifically early drops). I also cut down smiter to a two of. The card is super good, but it's the least aggressive of your three drops (non haste or battalion), so they got trimmed for the curve. I also slapped a Garruk in there because it does whatever you need, another body on every turn or card draw to get you out of a bad jam.
Space Marines excel at warfare because they were designed to excel at everything.

-Primarch Roboute Guilliman

Zero

Post by Zero » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:35 pm

I actually quite like that decklist. Cheers B2P, I think I'll run with that.

MFletch
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Post by MFletch » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:39 pm

Playing 22 lands with garruk is a bit optimistic.

I would not worry about the number of 3 drops per se more that you want to have regen. mana or removal open in later turns so tapping out.

Frontline Medic shows how swingy battalion is as a mechanic. Either you have it in which case the card is amazing else the card is fairly lack lustre if well on curve. The definition of a win-more.
In naya humans where he will most likely have a load of creatures on the board before he comes down, also he'll work with champion of the parish and cavern of souls, he may even have haste then the card is excellent.

Loxodon smiter is going to be better when you are not the beat down. Also if being a 4/4 means you can swing in then the smiter will be a better beat stick.

Zero

Post by Zero » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:06 am

In my experience hitting 5 mana is rarely a difficult task, or the Arbor Elves fix it up for me.

I can see what you mean with the Medic, but so far he has been pulling his weight very well and I'm not looking at dropping him at all. Maybe he won't continue to perform super well, in which case I'll consider cutting him, but right now he's a very strong addition.

You've got a point on the Smiter, and I guess I'll test out the numbers that I run him in and just find out what works best that way.