New 40K unit and weapon stat lines video

Know of a great website for wargaming players? List it here!
dave865
Bronze Vault Member

New 40K unit and weapon stat lines video

Post by dave865 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:21 pm

Hi guys, trying to get a YouTube channel going and would really love to hear any feedback and support, including any constructive criticism you may have. Here is my video concerning the new stat lines for units and weapons coming to 40k in 8th edition.
https://youtu.be/BS98rW3SslI

Scavvon
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: New 40K unit and weapon stat lines video

Post by Scavvon » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:10 pm

Thanks for the video. I missed the live stream.

I think your predictions/opinions about 8th edition seem right on target.

Thanks for reminding me about those poor souls who burned their fantasy armies when Age of Sigmar came out. LOL Ouch!

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:21 pm

blippityblip wrote:Watched your video, enjoyed it, only thing is when you described damage you said d6 would hurt a horde, I'm pretty certain they said that when there's more than a single damage only a single model will take the damage and the excess is lost, for instance you fire a lascannon at some terminators, the first terminator is hit and wounded, fails it's save and then that single model takes D6 damage, on a 1 it's alive with 1 wound left, on anything higher it's takes 2 wounds and the excess is lost

If this wasn't the case, you could potentially fail one armour save, roll a 6 for damage and lose 3 terminators
This is correct. In Age of Sigmar, damage carries over, so d6 damage, rolling a 6, would kill 6 1-wound models. In 40k, they have stated that damage is against a single model only, so a lascannon would only kill a single 1-wound model, regardless of roll on the d6.

Flamers, on the other hand, are Assault d6, therefore would potentially kill d6 models (or get d6 hits on a single model unit)
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

Koonitz
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by Koonitz » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:24 pm

Ronin wrote:I'm pretty sure they said that it's D6 wounds for one model so no spilling over. However it would make sense that it does spill to represent the beam punching through multiple people. :P
But then why would you ever take a heavy bolter capable of killing 3 models, or a flamer, capable of killing 6, when you can just sit back and casually kill 6 from across the board?

It would render swarm killers obsolete. In AoS, they can get away with it because they are generating new models, new rules, and have models capable of doing both, with a flat hit/wound roll, compared to 40k's retention of the S/T mechanic.

If you consider "make lascannons comparatively expensive, they did that with grav. Didn't stop people from taking what was simply superior.

While I was interested to see whether they'd take that mechanic, I'm glad they didn't. 40k has an established arsenal of weapons that aren't being replaced whole-sale like AoS did with Fantasy, so suddenly making a lascannon an effective swarm killer would rub people harder than "LASGUNS CAN DAMAGE LAND RAIDERS! DA END TIMEZ IZ UPON US!"
Armies:
40k: Knights Cynosure Iron Hands successor chapter, House Terryn Questor Imperialis, Thousand Sons/Tzeentch Daemons
30k: Thousand Sons
Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth, Disciples of Tzeentch

dave865
Bronze Vault Member

Post by dave865 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:47 am

Hey guys, thanks for the replies, and you're right they have said the d6 damage applies to single models. Making the video I just went off of the one page article they released and it didn't specify on there. Thanks for the feedback though, always appreciated!

NotAlpharius
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by NotAlpharius » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:10 pm

I'm pretty sure they said that it's D6 wounds for one model so no spilling over. However it would make sense that it does spill to represent the beam punching through multiple people.
In the current rules for D weapons, each D attack can generate D3 or D6+6 wounds per hit. The wounds inflicted do not however spill over to models who were not hit. Example:

Wraithguard shoots Wraithcannon at a unit of Custodes. If the Wraithguard successfully hits the Custodes you reference a special D6 damage chart (1: nothing happens, 2-5: D3 automatic wounds, 6: D6+6 automatic wounds). To illustrate the point, lets say the Eldar player rolls a 6 on the special D damage chart to generate D6+6 wounds. Further more the Eldar player rolls a 5 on the D6 portion of the damage to inflict a whopping 11 automatic wounds! (with no saves of anykind allowed, mind you) Since the custodies had Eternal Warrior, the closest Custodes would eat 2 wounds before having to be removed from play but the remaining 9 wounds be lost as it would not jump to other Custodes models in the unit.

I believe GW wrote that they want to make sure that heavy weapons, such as Lascannons, are significantly more effective at dealing with vehicles which have many Wounds and higher Toughness and that the use of such weapons on troops, while deadly, is largely overkill and not an optimal usage of the weapon.
All generalizations are false.

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Kovlovsky » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:17 pm

Ronin wrote:Oh yeah, I definitely wouldn't have liked it if they did that, but narratively it would have been cool to imagine.
Haha! You think they are marching in square formation in combat like that :D : https://youtu.be/pVKvDW9EXuc?t=31m10s ? Maybe the Mordian Iron Guard does this, but it doesn't seem like that in the fluff. ;)
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG