KotH July - Main

In order to keep the main Deathmatch forum from getting too cluttered, Threads pertaining to previous months are moved here.
A Luna
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

KotH July - Main

Post by A Luna » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:19 am

Hello everyone and welcome! This is the King-of-the-Hill-SPECIAL-Deathmatch.

http://www.miniwargaming.com/content/pa ... -king-hill
^ First KotH MWG main forum advertisement.

http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 78&t=63288
^ First KotH.

http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 78&t=70258
^ First KotH results.

What's this?!
This is basically an all VS all. Rules will be stated at the bottom. Over time, a group of painters will come forward who will all paint up the same model, no conversions. Basing is allowed in any way. Painting is up to the painter, as long as you show everyone your best. The system's easy. Throw all miniatures (anonymously) on a big pile and let the judges pick out the winners. Critism/harsh feedback is optional. Again, the miniature can't be converted. This is an anonymous competition, read the F.A.Q.'s about what is allowed. People who entered will get HARSH feedback/critism on their miniatures. They will really get torn apart. If you can't handle that, please don't enter.

How to enter
To enter the KOTH-DM, you have to sign up in this topic AND paint the same miniature as everybody else. If you sign up, please do finish.

When?
The KOTH DM deadline for submitting pictures of your miniature is July 31 (wish me happy b-day that day). This is to make sure everyone has enough time to get their hands on a miniature and have enough time to paint them up.
This brings us to......

What miniature?
http://www.coolminiornot.com/shop/hell- ... ynome.html

For all our Northern/Southern America friends.

Judges
I have the following judges stand-by already because of their fair-share (and because of a keen eye I have, because let's face it, I'm amazing).

- Yurii (Skeeve); Golden Demon judge. Like the first KotH, he'll eat your miniature.
- Blue; You better paint your miniature blue. (lol get it.. imma funny joke!)

YOU CAN BE A JUDGE
Message me. Let me know why you want to become a judge. I will test you in a certain way (whatever I can come up with) and see if you have what it takes.

Pointers
Got some tips for you people, if you not yet know:

Pictures:
1. Make sure your miniature/background don't interfere (black background while you have dark miniature, etc). Also, no noisy background (painting station/other miniatures/room/outside). Go for a plain color or gradient. Usually the best. Also, be careful with photoshopping nice backgrounds since they can distract a lot too.
Example pic:
Good
Bad (I went for a different view there, not for the best pics of a miniature but for the best atmosphere (evil))
Even worse

2. Pictures should be at least 30-40% miniature and 60% background. That means that 40% or 30% of the miniature should occupy the entire picture taken:
Pretty good
Bad

3. Bright & sharp pictures. If you don't want a glossy effect on the miniature because of a light put close to the source; put a piece of blank paper in front of the lamp. This filters the light so you get this:
Good
Instead of this:
Bad

Questions? Ask them here:
http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 95#p599295

Want to nominate a miniature? Do that here:
http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 78&t=70557

Like Durf would say:
Now away with you!

Participants:
Edsgotjive
Lupusj
cheech413
theninjanid
A Luna

Pending for reasons:
Smile!
Tomorrow's going to be worse

Me: "was eating cake whilst drinking. was good"
Jackmrnorris: "This man is close to nirvana. It is known."

CMON Gallery
Youtube

sonofkitrinos
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Re: KotH July - Main

Post by sonofkitrinos » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:19 am

Well, I can say I am in!
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrHghowell?feature=mhee
Commissions : http://www.hghowel8.wix.com/amethysthobbies
Interested in commission work? Fire me a pm!

edsgotjive
Ribbons Earned: Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challengeParticipated in King of the Hill

Post by edsgotjive » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:32 pm

Sign me up, Captain. I should have got in on the first too, but oh well.
Shop Smart...Shop S-Mart.

stevey293
Ribbons Earned: Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Post by stevey293 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:54 pm

Model pending im in.

Blue
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Blue » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:30 pm

I don't have enough time and concentration to participate at the moment but I wouldn't mind helping out with judging this time around.
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

Skeeve
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Skeeve » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:34 pm

- Yurii; Golden Demon judge. Like the first KotH, he'll eat your miniature.
Plastic and resin please. Metal is too hard to chew :lol:

A Luna
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by A Luna » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:27 am

Skeeve wrote:
- Yurii; Golden Demon judge. Like the first KotH, he'll eat your miniature.
Plastic and resin please. Metal is too hard to chew :lol:
preferably painted I guess? Is a nice flavour.

@Blue: To judging you are!
@Eds: Yes! Did we even nominate you? :oops: I really should have.
@Stevey: pending alright.
Smile!

CMON Gallery
Youtube

theninjanid
Location: 221B Baker Street, London with my faithful companion Watson.

Post by theninjanid » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:46 pm

Should I paint some minis up in the next month or two to the best of my abilities and let you choose if I should enter? I ask this as I'm not sure if I'm good enough and I've only just started pushing my painting recently.
Also if I enter (probably a big if) I may not be able to get the model but I will say in advance if I cannot get one.
"don't pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one" - Bruce Lee
Because the TNN is awesome - Tmb
you're just made of pure win - Sniperfex
"Miniwargaming, is that for dwarves" - My dad

stevey293
Ribbons Earned: Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Post by stevey293 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:02 pm

Go for it buddy.

Midge913
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Midge913 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:32 pm

I feel the need to steal the top of the hill from Durf :lol:

I am in.
www.midge913.com
Commissions, Works in Progress, and Gallery
Follow me on Twitter:@MidgesWorkshop

lupusj
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by lupusj » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:31 pm

Is this one running the same system for nominations as the last KotH?

I'm interested in participating - what do I need to do?
Check out my blog - http://lupusj.wordpress.com

A Luna
Gold Vault Member

Post by A Luna » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:46 am

lupusj wrote:Is this one running the same system for nominations as the last KotH?

I'm interested in participating - what do I need to do?
You have to solve this riddle:

I spy with my little eye,
Hairless people who are very sly,
colored with strange dye,
one who waited forever, dog of Fry.

So you wish to enter the maze,
If you use the technique glaze,
You might be worthy to face Arbok's glaze.
Sadly, Arbok can also use haze.

To achieve participation in this match,
you need to capture a colorful batch.
The creatures in your paint may not hatch,
Won't happen if you downloaded the latest patch.

a silhouette in a shadow and movement in a dream,
Sometimes reminded by visions in a gleam.
Still something is missing, much has been destroyed,
Memories far away, long lost in the void.
Of something that happened long in the past,
On the doorstep of our soul, who entered last?

----------------

Good luck Lupusj!
@Midge: Welcome aboard :D
Smile!

CMON Gallery
Youtube

lupusj
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by lupusj » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:03 am

A Luna wrote: You have to solve this riddle:
You have too much free time.
Check out my blog - http://lupusj.wordpress.com

A Luna
Gold Vault Member

Post by A Luna » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:52 am

lupusj wrote:
A Luna wrote: You have to solve this riddle:
You have too much free time.
I know..

I've already added you to the list.
Smile!

CMON Gallery
Youtube

Cheech413
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Cheech413 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:31 pm

This seems pretty cool, can I participate in this as well? It's been a while I've picked up a brush..!

Do I get a shot at a riddle too? :D
Space Marines [WIP]
Imperial Guard [WIP]