Which Book to Buy?

Discuss Battlefronts World War 2 game here.
easycompany
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Which Book to Buy?

Post by easycompany » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:30 am

Im thinking of starting Flames Of War and am buying Open Fire! soon and after that an American 101st Airborne army (hence my forum name) but I dont know which book to get (as I dont know which a suitable army list will be in)
Fortress Europe
or
Turning Tide
Which do I buy
??????????????
Curahee!

Makarov
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: Which Book to Buy?

Post by Makarov » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:53 pm

Just buy the main rule book, and use this site to build your army. [url]http://easyarmy.com/index.aspx/[url]
Grim darkness of the 41st Millennium? Good thing I brought a flashlight.
40K: Imperial Guard: 1,500
Flames of War (Late War):German: 2,500 points, Polish Insurgents: 1250 points

SweetSorrow
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by SweetSorrow » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:21 am

well after my game today id say turning tide. And welcome to the Airborne i personally liked the 82nd myself. :D
The Stars Await, Let us now wander together.

Well then, this is rather entertaining
Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

AtlantianWarrior
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by AtlantianWarrior » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:49 am

Well with 3rd ed out you need that book. The Open fire box set is only worth the models and dice in it now. You want tot go Airborne. D-1 or Turning Tide are the books for you. The first is older and still useable, while the second is up to date with point costs. Do remember you will be Fearless/Vet so you will have a small force compared to your opponent. My self I play the Red Devils for my airborne choice.
Daemon Hunters 5719+ points
Wood Elves 6426 points

'I am the Hammer'
'I am the point of His sword'
'I am the tip of His spear'
'I am the gauntlet about His fist'
'I am His sword just as He is my armour,I am His wrath just as He is my zeal'

easycompany
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by easycompany » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:38 am

I went off the game for a while realizing just how small the miniatures are. I'm getting back into it now and am going for a Market Garden themed force so I'll get Hell's Highway. Is it possible to have American Airborne with British tanks?
Curahee!

Makarov
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Makarov » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:10 pm

Yes there is a legal list for that. IIRC it its in the book that deals with Operation Market Garden.

Here, I'd recommend you use this site instead of a book. (It is endorsed by Battlefront)

http://easyarmy.com/index.aspx
Grim darkness of the 41st Millennium? Good thing I brought a flashlight.
40K: Imperial Guard: 1,500
Flames of War (Late War):German: 2,500 points, Polish Insurgents: 1250 points

snowbud5
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by snowbud5 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:35 pm

I personally have Fortress Europe, and, while I haven't used Turning Tide, I believe the former is the better book. If I'm not mistaken, Turning Tide is mostly the Normandy campaign, and Fortress Europe is Normandy and the Russian push to Berlin. It has more options if you ever decide (like me) to experiment with different armies. Turning Tide is mostly American and British, and Fortress Europe is German, American, British and Russian.

I'm a fairly new player, so if any experienced players find mistakes in this post, I apologize, and please feel free to correct them.

Khornate
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Post by Khornate » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:19 am

snowbud5 wrote:I personally have Fortress Europe, and, while I haven't used Turning Tide, I believe the former is the better book. If I'm not mistaken, Turning Tide is mostly the Normandy campaign, and Fortress Europe is Normandy and the Russian push to Berlin. It has more options if you ever decide (like me) to experiment with different armies. Turning Tide is mostly American and British, and Fortress Europe is German, American, British and Russian.

I'm a fairly new player, so if any experienced players find mistakes in this post, I apologize, and please feel free to correct them.
Fortress Europe which is now outdated by some time was the oold "Generic" book up to late 1944 It is replaced by Turning Tide which is the Normandy campaign for the Allies and it's Axis counterpart Earth & Steel. On the Eastern front you have Red Bear for the Soviets and Grey Wolf for the Axis powers. There is also a Generic "Forces" book that comes with your main rulebook that resembles Fortress Europe.
Many of my best friends are Wargamers, and only a few of them are transvestites. Yours faithfully, MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall Khornate, Mrs. P.S. I have never kissed the moderators of the Miniwargaming forum.