It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:22 am 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Hi,

I have bought a pile of soviet models and have yet to play a single game (also many of my models are not ready for a game yet but im assembling and painting them for a game Im going to have in a few weeks).

Im creating a tank army (tankovy or what its called again...).

This is what i got:

11 x T34/85 tanks
3 x IS-2 tanks
4 x Katyusha rocket launchers (battery)
1 x Soviet strelkovy platoon (bought this at first but then saw I needed more so got the batalon that is after this)

1 x Soviet udarny strelkovy batalon that includes the following:

1x Batalon HQ:
1x Soviet Batalon Command Rifle Team
1x Soviet 2iC Command Rifle Team
1x Soviet Batalon Kommissar Team
3x Soviet Sniper Teams
4x Soviet PTRD Anti-Tank Rifle Teams

2x Soviet Udarny Strelkovy Companies:
2x Soviet Udarny Command Rifle/MG Teams
16x Soviet Rifle/MG Teams
8x Soviet SMG Teams

Now the first ever game I will be playing is a 3000 points game with 4 players. My ally will be playing the british and we are against 2 players who use the Germans.

Am I lacking on something or do you think I can create a fun 1500 points army with what I have? I would prefer not to buy much more before the game but I could perhaps get something... (maybe 2 more IS-2 tanks :-D )

One thing I am interested in getting advice is on the infantry. Like how much should I assemble and paint for the game? also should I try to get some snipers in the game or just go for the Rifle/MG infantry?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:30 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

You should have no trouble making a 1500 point Strelkovy platoon with that. I would suggest Guards so you are a little tougher. I played Russians before the new books came out so I am not 100% on the best options out of the newer late war books but starting with the Udarny and adding the tanks is good.

The problem starting with such a force is you have a lot of rules to learn. The Strelkovy wants to assault, you want to push them towards the enemy to get into an assault, using your tanks to kill off anything with a high rate of fire and your Katy's to keep their heads down (that is pinned) then you roll over them for the glory of Mother Russia. Your tanks (T34s, not IS2s) suffer from Hen and Chicks, on the first turn don't think about shooting you have to get close. Your IS2 will snipe the enemies heavy tanks, that is what they do.

Your tactics are going to differ from your Allie's. So each pick a flank, perhaps he will take a defensive role or at least move pin his side of the table down so they cannot rush to aid your target.

So get the Udarny based, put the tracks on your tanks and if time assemble the Katies. They are horrible to assemble, the newer version is better. When assembling you think of other reasons why they were called Stalin's Organ.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:12 am 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Thanks for the input. Our game has grown in number of players and is now a 3 vs 3 battle (I think its 3600 points per side so 1200 per player).

I have now assembled and painted all my tanks and the "katies" are allmost done also (I quess they are the new ones since I dont think they were that hard to assemble...). Next i will try to get the infantry ready...

Luckully we got a few veteran players in our game so they can point out some good tactics i should use.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:04 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

MORE IS-2's, just for laughs an giggles put in a flame thrower platoon or even a company, but it is your choice