Some help needed please. I seriously appreciate it.

Discuss Battlefronts World War 2 game here.
BattleCapIronblood
MiniWarGaming Regular

Some help needed please. I seriously appreciate it.

Post by BattleCapIronblood » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:40 am

So after GW announced the self-destructing doomsday device set to go off this June, I'm considering taking my tabletop gaming elsewhere, with a company that supports its consumers and not take a log on them. And Flames of War appeals to me as a tabletop fan and military strategy/history fan. I probably won't hop on the FOW wagon just yet, but I do have some pressing questions I wish answered.

1) I'm considering building a Soviet army, probably MW. What's a good way to start?
2) What are the strengths and weaknesses of such said army?
3) If I have a friend who decides to play American, can I take him on in a game? Or is that a big no-no since they're actually allies?
4) What paint line is recommended?

I think that's it for my questions. Many thanks in advance!
Only in Death does our Duty end.

Blood Angels 1865

Death Korps of Krieg 200

Kingdan
Now we're getting somewhere...

Re: Some help needed please. I seriously appreciate it.

Post by Kingdan » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:03 am

If you want to start out you could just go for the Hammer nothing says gotcha like 21 T-34's. It's strengths are that they are a medium tank with good front and side armour a decent gun and can be upgraded to have tank riders however they are subject to the hen and chicks rule which penalises your shooting when you move but you have 21 Tanks so you're bound to hit something.

Don't worry about blue on blue you play what you like think of it as a training mission.

I use Vallejo both air and brush paints they have some good historic colour matches.

easycompany
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by easycompany » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:41 am

Flames of War have their own paint line too
Curahee!

darkpaladin
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by darkpaladin » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:00 am

most Russian players ive seen go for a dark green basecoat with a green ink wash then finally a drybrush of a lighter shade of green, makes them look very nice and easy to complete
"Ninja Pizza!, Pizza that vanish quickly without trace"

2015 Army Win, Loss, Draw thingy

Orks:
Wins - 13
Losses - 2
Draws - 0

Fighting Gopher
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Fighting Gopher » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:51 pm

It's a slight Necro on this but here is my info for you.

1) I'm considering building a Soviet army, probably MW. What's a good way to start? You can go two different way with soviets, massive tanks or massive infantry. Infantry is very forgiving and you can still add in 10 T-34's to it. Nice things about Flames of War is a lot of what you use in Mid-War you can use it in LW for less points sometimes. Not everything is inter changable but a lot of it is.
2) What are the strengths and weaknesses of such said army? Russians are quantity over quality. You will out number your enemy about 4-1 however, you will die a lot more. you will be getting hit on 2+ sometimes so you really need to use terrain to your advantage.
3) If I have a friend who decides to play American, can I take him on in a game? Or is that a big no-no since they're actually allies? Yes you can take him on. It's called a training exercise. It's allowed with no issues. You just won't be playing any of the historical battles.
4) What paint line is recommended? I recommend the FoW line or Vallejo (Which I think are the same). They are the best for them and the price is not bad.

I hope you are still looking at this thread for the advice. I plan on being on here more and will try to stimulate this part of MWG as it truly is a great game.
Warhammer 40K - 41,000 points
Warhammer Fantasy - 27000 wounds (I'm guessing)
Flames of War - 6000 points
Warmachine Cryx - 100 points
Hordes Circle - 240 points

pulven
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by pulven » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:55 am

Hello
Soviets is fun in Strelkovy battalions.

In late war i field a lot of infantry :28 bases rifle\mg, 8 Maksim HMG,Batle attached 14mm Antitank rifles, kommisars and the CiC and 2iC, 6 81mm Mortars, 6 120mm Mortars, 4 or 8 Zis 3 or 4 Zis 3 and 4 105mm. 10 Valentines, 10 shermans 76mm and so on.

If you go infantry you will fill up the board in MW as most is FC or CT.
Dont be scared of assaulting you have a lot of bases, surround tanks and watch them die in failed fall backs, need auto pinning for reducing defensive fire though.
Kommisars for thoose rerolls.

Plastic soldier company have a deal on russians usually, box of infantry, heavy weapons and guns.

I have no idea about the tankovy bat. but T70 and T34 or if you can has M3 lees.

Russian in summer uniforms quick painting guide:
Basecoat khaki, paint bags and duffelbags etc, paint faces and hands, rifles, riflestocks, and then quick shade them. Highlight. Done.

Za Stalina