Tiger tanks

Discuss Battlefronts World War 2 game here.
snowbud5
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Tiger tanks

Post by snowbud5 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:46 pm

I have a few questions regarding the Tiger I, historically, and in the game.

First, I remember hearing somewhere that the Tiger I could not fire and move at the same time. According to one source, the 88mm would burst through the back of the turret if that was done. Is this true, and if so, why? From the same source, I heard that one of the reasons the Tiger II was produced was to allow movement while firing, hence the elongated turret. However, if the Tiger I couldn't move and fire because the turret would burst through the turret, why wouldn't it burst through when the tank was firing from a static position? Finally, if the Tiger I cannot move and fire at the same time, are there any rules in the game that enforce this? I glanced at the statistics for the tank in Fortress Europe, but I didn't see anything regarding that.

I know the historical questions are probably incorrect, but I just wanted to check the accuracy of the source.

Halcyon 7
MiniWarGaming Regular

Re: Tiger tanks

Post by Halcyon 7 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:40 pm

It was due to the lack of stabilizers because you have to realize an 88mm gun, which was a huge gun for a tank back then, created a lot of recoil. The Tiger I didn't have the luxury of shooting on the move due gyroscoptic stabilizers for the guns and sights on all variants. The Tiger I did have an awesome suspension system to give it superb cross-country capability but the gun was without a sophisticated stabilizer system for its oversized gun. Of course the Tiger had the luxury to stop and shoot because not many guns the Allies had could penetrate the thick armor, specially in the front.

As far as the game is concerned I do not play Germans and it's been a while since I played Flames of War, you may have to ask someone who has the German Army Intelligence book to get you all the detials.
"Power resides where men believe it resides. It's a trick. A shadow on the wall. And a very small man can cast a very large shadow." -Lord Varys- Game of Thrones

--Warmachine--
Cygnar - 279 Pts
Retribution - 75 Pts
Mercenaries - 50 Pts

snowbud5
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by snowbud5 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:54 pm

Alright, thanks for the helpful information.

BinPanzerd
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by BinPanzerd » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:38 pm

The rule that restricts firing the same turn you move is called Awkward Layout. The Tiger does not have this rule. It does have Wide Tracks which allows it to have a 50% of avoiding a bog if it bogs down in rough terrain.

There is also a one-man-turret rule in Early War that the French Tanks have to reflect their understaffed tanks which is not an issue with a Tiger tank.

Kingdan
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by Kingdan » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:09 am

The Tiger does have slow traverse which means it's at a +1 to hit if it's turret is tured beyond it fron arc it's also slow and unreliable in mid war.

darkpaladin
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by darkpaladin » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:04 am

speaking historically, the same thing happened in the Sherman firefly and modified m10, putting the british 17 pdr gun cause massive issues with recoil, however, never versions didn't have that problem
"Ninja Pizza!, Pizza that vanish quickly without trace"

2015 Army Win, Loss, Draw thingy

Orks:
Wins - 13
Losses - 2
Draws - 0