Brushes

Want to learn how to paint miniatures better? Have a picture you want to show off? Here is where you can do it!
Vassago42
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by Vassago42 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:41 pm

I'm not tooo awfully picky about my brushes. I prefer natural (camel/horse hair variety) over synthetic. And i buy the cheaper ones from Wal-Marts hobby section. Never payed attention to the brand. Get a good selection, from 000 and up.

A lot of what makes your brushes last long is how well you maintain them and clean them. Wash them under warm running water immediately when your done with them, dont let the paint dry on the brush. Try to avoid using solvents, strong solvents especially will destroy synthetic brushes (or thier plastic handle) if left in the solvent a long time. Rub the bristles gently from side to side with your fingers to scrub the paint out. Be careful not to bend the bristles back or they will start sticking out in wierd directions and create headaches for you later. Dont let the brush stand in a cup of water bristle side down. This will press the bristles and flatten them out also ruining the brush. If you do want to soak them in water because of buildup near the base of the bristles or something, try using a water tray of some sort, where the brush can lay out flat in the water (the warmer the water the more effective cleaner it is). Dont store them bristle side down either or the same effect will occur. Either upright, or on thier side laying flat.

Take care of your tools and they will last a looong time.
And never use a dull knife. A sharp knife is a safe knife.

-harold
~~ I chew on Lead Minis~~

Stephen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Stephen » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:08 pm

Well I'd have to say that I'm in love with Citadel brushes.

They may be expensive but me and my bro still (after a whole year) have our starter set brushes in practicaly new condition thanks to us taking care of them. So for anything smaller than a Tank Brush I'd recomend Citadel Brushes.

As for Tank Brushes, and any/all drybrushes. The Wal-Mart brushes should be fine. Thier cheap and pretty good quality. But when it comes to detail brushes and such Citadel's the way to go.
Sernpidal 25 ABY
Never Forget

MiniWargamerDave
Site Admin

Post by MiniWargamerDave » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:26 pm

Here are very special brushes I purchased made for oil and acrylic painting. They're made from horse hair bristles.

You probably wouldn't think that they cost me $1.00 CAD and that's not even the best part. The package came with 12 brushes from a very fine detail brush to a larger brush. Crazy huh. As many of you know I'm a scrounger and that being said I enjoy getting things for next to nothing or very inexpensive. Not cheap! There's a difference between inexpensive and cheap. Something can still be good quality and inexpensive at the same time.

It's my recommendation that you get good quality inexpensive brushes. They'll do the trick and you'll find very little difference in the workmanship as long as your brushes are made from a type of hair. Good luck!

lotrmaster6

Post by lotrmaster6 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:28 pm

I wouldn't be ashamed to say that I totally agree with Stephen, the Citadel Brushes are definitly the best brushes ever. I never really use tank brushes, but for the large work just buy brushes in any store where they are cheap. ;)
Kind Regards,

Lotrmaster6

Stephen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Stephen » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:32 pm

Thanks LotRmaster. but I'll play devils advecate for a bit.

dave DOES have a point though. If your on a super tight budget then, if it's made from good quality hair. Then an inexpensive brush will do pretty god to.

But as I said earlier. When it come to brushes smaller than a tank brush...you can't beat Citadel. Though expensive thier amzing.

But on a Tank Brush or larger. Good ol' Wally world (Wal-Mart) will do fine.
Sernpidal 25 ABY
Never Forget

lotrmaster6

Post by lotrmaster6 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:26 am

Point made I think ;).
Time to reveal my newly painted miniature online ;).

Check him out all ;)
Kind Regards,

Lotrmaster6