Assembling Metal models

Want to learn how to paint miniatures better? Have a picture you want to show off? Here is where you can do it!
Bujiga
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Assembling Metal models

Post by Bujiga » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:52 am

Well, I just picked up 3 flamers, 5 old horrors and a lord of change, all metal for $25.

The only thing is, they are partially unassembled. I have tried to assemble the rest of the horrors but gluing metal just sucks. After holding the arm in place for 5 minutes and then realising you glued your fingers the the model instead of the arm also sucks.

I was just wondering if you just have any advice/tips on how to assemble metal models. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Korsarro-Khan
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Re: Assembling Metal models

Post by Korsarro-Khan » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:48 am

have you tried pinning? Drill small holes in the parts to be glued together, then use some small rod, or a pin to hold the parts together.

Bujiga

Post by Bujiga » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:32 am

I have tried that, but the arms for the horrors and flammers are so thin, I can't really get a small enough drill piece to it without the fear or breaking the arm in half :/

Blue
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Blue » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:41 am

I've dealt with those pieces too that are too thin to get a drill bit into. :x
I would try to use a thicker glue like the Loctite Gels. That's what holds my pathfinders arms on and so far only one has fallen off.

Also, I find holding the two pieces together for too long can allow the glue to set then break as I can't hold it completely still for that long. Try holding it for 10 seconds then putting it down and allowing it to cure for a while.

Too much glue will be a problem too. Try applying the glue to an old CD then use a toothpick to get just the right amount onto the mini's arm.
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

Korsarro-Khan
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Korsarro-Khan » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:32 am

i usually prop pieces up with blue tac etc

Bujiga

Post by Bujiga » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:08 am

My dad suggest liquid nails, but im not sure about that.

Would a bit of greenstuff to help reinforce it work as well?

camsmclean
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by camsmclean » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:44 pm

One thing that hasnt been mentioned, but might not be a factor is temperature.

I find being in a super dry room or using a blow dryer can help alot... if the metal is cold, it might take longer to dry.

Even if its summer, the metal can be cold/cool to the touch... blow dry the areas you want to glue together, and keep blow drying while you (carefully) hold it together.

And, ya, one time I glued my finger to the metal and all kinds of skin came off... you could see my finger print... took along time to file and clean off!
Fantasy: WoC = 5000, Daemons = 3000, Dwarfs = 4000
40k: IG = 9000, SW = 4000
Warmachine: Cryx = 200
Hordes: Skorne = 100
All 100% Painted