It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:40 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge
So after after soaking up a lot of tutorials and videos, I finally decided to paint my very own, first miniature. I started with a dark eldar kabalite warrior, since they don't involve to paint flesh, hairy or anything else that I didn't felt ready for. Pretty basic these guys.

So here's the gallery, filled with 9 pictures. Sadly I only had a camcorder that cant shot pictures, so I had to film it and create screenshots of the video file,which made them a bit blurry and stuff.

http://imgur.com/a/ClKfU#0

I'm pretty happy with ho it turned out, but nonetheless I'm curios about some ideas how to improve what I did.

Some things I felt doing bad/wrong:

1. I feel like I used to much paint. I sometimes tried to thin it fresh water, but after one drop I already felt like it's to thin and didn't used it.

2. The light blue lines which are highlighting the armor are kinda... bad, aren't they? I tried to be accurate and didn't had a shaky hand, but still didn't got some clear lines.

3. I first wanted to basecoat everything with the skull white spray can, but after first using it (wrong how I realized later) on some remaining parts, I decided to not use it on my models. I basecoated the whole model with a brush in black, and later basecoated the whole armor with blue again.
I guess this wasn't the worst thing I could do, but would it be better to only coat a major part like a armor once, if one is using a brush instead of a spray can?

Do you confirm my thoughts? Is there something else I missed? Feel free to tell me what you think.

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:52 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

To be honest your on the ball there buddy. You first mini looks great {better then my first attempt whice was around 10 years ago lol} i agree with you i would always use a black primer i only ever really use white primer for skeletons and really light colour minis. Keep up the good work and remember to apply your paints in thin layers to get a nice uniformed effect. 10 out of 10 for your first mini and welcome to forum buddy.

http://www.wix.com/saintyminis/saintyminis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:09 pm 
Gold Vault Member

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge
Truly looks great for a first. Compared to mines 6 or 7 years ago:

Remember, push your limits. If you think you're not ready for it, try it anyway. It really helps you a lot with gaining experience.

Me: "was eating cake whilst drinking. was good"
Jackmrnorris: "This man is close to nirvana. It is known."

CMON Gallery
Youtube

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:41 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Still looks pretty sweet A Luna

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:05 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Yo,

Thanks for all these nice words guys. I also appreciate your welcome blacksanity!

After reading this and overall having a pretty cool day, I decided to get stuff done and paint 9 more Kabalite Warriors... soon! Sadly won't have time to paint today while its bright and sunny. I'm thinking about starting a #dailypaint, since I'm pretty close to my deadline (end of april) to finish the rest of my battleforce.

Oh does someone got any words on how to paint straight lines easy and ... straight? Like I said in my first post, I was pretty sure I didn't had shaky hands but yet "failed" my lines to highlight the armor pretty hard.

Last edited by SleepyPillow on Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:01 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

When i started out i used to practice doing straight lines on paper with my paint brush and paint then after i was comfortable i used a old miniature i didnt use and practice on that. Another good tip is to stick your mini (with blue-tac, white-tac or double sided sticky tape) to a cork or anything like that so the mini is standing on that and your not holding the base directly. Alot of people use an empty GW paint pot and blue tac the bottom of the base to the paint pot. You get a better grip plus alround your painting will come in leaps and bounds buddy. Try it out and i hope this helps. :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:28 am 
Gold Vault Member

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge
^^
Experience. I still can't paint exact straight lines. When painting straight lines it's a good idea to keep the paint on the brush thinned down. Better to do it twice and good, than in 1 go and get small chips.

CMON Gallery
Youtube

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:19 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Thanks a lot for these tips! I'm going to follow your strategies on my next armors.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:50 pm 
Gold Vault Member

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9829

A bit silly for me to link that page, but I wrote it and it might come in handy when trying new things. Geez, I should finish that guide one day.

CMON Gallery
Youtube

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:56 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ah well, I even got your thread bookmarked and read it already once, but that was like two weeks ago, good that you reminded me of it.

Also I wouldn't say it silly to post your own thread, as long as it's a good and helpful one.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:00 pm 
Gold Vault Member

For beginner painters it's always good to add more highlights and a wash to the model. Such things really brighten up models.

CMON Gallery
Youtube

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:11 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

I washed the cloth and the brass-metalic parts. Guess it ain't easy to see since its so blurry and stuff.

I'm not sure about which color I could use to wash the armor.

And yeah highlighting... I did some things like the little microphone and the metallic parts. Oh and the armor with a light blue, well I really have to exercise that! :D