It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Primer problem
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:05 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
I was using spray primer (army painter black) and was doing a jetbike. I look down and it looks rough like sandpaper. I realize the can was just about empty. Now not sure how to fix. Very strange and have not seen it before. Is it something from the bottom of the spray can? What can I do other than dump it in green stuff and try and strip it?

DE: 8640pts/8420 painted llllllllll
Lots of other stuff yet to be painted.

DE WIP: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=76171
Terrain Log: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=80134

Post subject: Re: Primer problem
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:12 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
oh, yeah... probably needed more shaking than normal, try shaving it off/down, if not just strip it and use new primer

"(Lebianism) is rather inefficient... there appear to be interface problems"
- Engelbart Kappa

Kidnapping? I call it surprise adoption!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:27 am 

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
That is what I figured. I have a bunch of models in simple green, I just throw this in when they are done.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:42 am 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge
That is typical for spray cans to do that near the end of their life. I don't know what it is but it happened to me plenty. I would stop using my spray cans after they got too low and save it for terrain or bases.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:08 am 

Any super secret tricks to fix it?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:54 am 

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge
Nope...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:34 am 

Ah, Well...

Threw them in with the other models I am stripping. Hopefully won't be to big a deal.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:40 am 

Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
yeah, you may need to sand/file it down a bit also...

"(Lebianism) is rather inefficient... there appear to be interface problems"
- Engelbart Kappa

Kidnapping? I call it surprise adoption!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:08 pm 

Stripping them should work but if there is still some texture left over hit it with some fine grit sand paper to smooth it out. I would think 660 grit would be enough.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:33 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

I find an old toothbrush works well for taking the surface down just alittle. The GW cleaning brush works well, really any plastic bristle brush will do...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:57 pm 

thanks, picked up a medium cheap electric tooth brush. Hope that will solve all my problems :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:46 pm 
MiniWarGaming Regular

Depending on the shape of the parts that need fixing, you can try microfibre sanding paper. These are used by jewellers to polish metals. The grits are extremely fine, 800, 1200, 1600, 4000, 6000, 8000 etc.; this will help smooth the surface without adding scratches to the plastic or metal model.

I've purchased from this seller before:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Tools-PMC-ART-Cl ... 53eb5446af

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:35 am 

After a week in simple green, no love...well, lots of love between the primer and the model, so no divorce would be better wording. So, I took some 500 grit and went at it, got it tolerable and put a new coat on. There is still some texture, but I think I will try to use that to create some damage effect. It is on a jet bike, so maybe rocks or shrapnel blew into it at speed or something.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:22 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Good idea there nappen :)

http://www.wix.com/saintyminis/saintyminis