It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:21 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

This is my first miniature ever, opinions and advice will be appreciated :)

I'll be collecting Dark Eldar rather than Orks though, will post some more in future if I'm not too ashamed :P.

Last edited by adm on Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Newbie painter
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:10 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
Not bad, not bad at all! I'd recommend applying a wash on the ork flesh followed by some drybrushing, but pretty sweet overall!

Warriors of Chaos: 4,500-ish points (95% painted)
Chaos Dwarves: 3,000-ish points (85% painted)
Bretonnia: 3,000-ish points (25% painted)
Imperial Fists: 1,500-ish points (40% painted)

Updated 1/7/2014! - WIP here

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:12 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
I agree, the metal looks great, but the skin a little shiney. A little drybrush and some wash would really take it to the next level.

DE: 8640pts/8420 painted llllllllll
Lots of other stuff yet to be painted.

DE WIP: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=76171
Terrain Log: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=80134

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:49 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Use some washes for the skin and metal parts also as stated above try dry brushing on the skin. Also use some highlighting on the face to make it 'pop' and also edge highlight the blade on the weapon. Hope this helps

http://www.wix.com/saintyminis/saintyminis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:20 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Thanks guys, I'll try out all of your advice after I finish my current project. I didn't have any washes while painting big mek, now i do have some so let's see how it goes. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:00 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

No problems buddy if you ever need advice this forum has it all, great selection of gamers and painters. Remember to check out and subscribe to my channel its called saintyminis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:55 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
the metal is indeed very good and a black wash would bring it to an other level as will a highlight do also but I wouldn't do much to it as it is already good
as for the skin I would personally I would repaint it white and wash it several layers of trakka green wash but that is what I would do (you don't have to follow this)
or you could drybrush with a lighter green over it and then lightly drybrush it with an even lighter green
as foor nails and teeth you could use bleached bone and skull white (1part bleached bone an 2part white) or what I use (due to lack of money for paints [and yes I know its rather cheap €3] but that aside) tausept ochre and white (1part tau 5part white)
for the red light on his head also highlighting
enough of my babbling about how you can improve it
I just want to end that for a newbie painter it already is really great and to be honest don't change this model keep it as it is now and paint your other models that way you can see how much you have evolved in your painting skills
I couldn't paint at all and now I'm starting to get the hang of it and even now I'm still learning more and more
so I hope I didn't offend you in any way and we all hope to see more of your work

my photobucket album

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:03 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

dragonianwolf wrote:
I couldn't paint at all and now I'm starting to get the hang of it and even now I'm still learning more and more
so I hope I didn't offend you in any way and we all hope to see more of your work

You didn't offend me at all, the contrary, I really appreciate the advice.
Here's what I've been working on past two days, there're still some corrections and highlights to make, but i won't have much time to paint in a couple of days so decided to put it as it is now. Yeah, I know mandrakes are not the best on the table but the models are sweet :D

Hope it's not too awful..

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:54 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Massive improvement buddy love the browns on it keep it up buddy. 10 out of 10

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:30 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
indeed compared to your ork its on a whole different level but indeed highlighting would be nice as then your model looks even beter
so keep up the good work
a small tip you could use a very light yellow on the tips of the flames (as that will give it a kind of glow but I could be wrong there are more pro's out here and they know how to let flames pop out even better like epic duck mike or blue or A luna) and use some extremely light drybrush of white on the hair to give it even an beter edge to it
but so far an extremely good improvement I guess if you keep it up at this pace you would hit golden daemon level in 2years time ^^ or at least you'll be near that level
hope to see more of your work

my photobucket album

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:40 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Thanks, I'm glad my painting's not totally worthless :)
About the golden daemon I'm afraid I don't have money to keep the pace up :D

New mandrakes are coming, slowly though, don't have much time now...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:09 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Trust me buddy the way that your painting you will soon be a brilliant painter, iv only been painting for 2 years and keep improving. Check out some of my stuff and remember if you need any tips or advice you can always PM me or email me buddy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:27 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Here's my next mandrake, this time I messed up though... I don't like the hair at all, it looks half decent in real life but it's awful in a big camera zoom :P Also the face looks dirty, next one will be better.
And no matter how hard I'd try I can't paint the symbols on it's chest like in original GW pics, any suggestions about doing that? The lines are just soooo thin there...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:27 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Use a light base ciat then give it a once over with a GW wash buddy. It will help you see where the lines are better

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:37 am 
The Duckiest!

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
To "find" all the detail on a model, here's what I do:

1) Prime the model with black primer from all angles
2) Aiming down at the model at about a 30-45 degree angle from vertical, lightly spray it with white or grey primer. Works best if the primer is used in a sweeping side-to-side motion instead of sprayed directly. Spin the model so that this is done from all sides.

I refer to step 2 as "dusting" in some of my tutorials, because you're not directly spraying the model, and you're allowing the colour to settle on raised edges. This will leave all of your deep grooves and creases dark, and basically shade everything else based on the angle. It's also really handy for creating stupidly quick highlights using two colours of spray - for example, basecoating with a green primer, and lightly dusting a yellow primer over it.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.