It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Greygore Boomhowler
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:35 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Looking for advice to make Greygore Boomhowler stick out even more. I know the obvious " Make the base more interesting", I'll get to that once all my mini's are ready.

Post subject: Re: Greygore Boomhowler
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:54 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
That's a pretty nice model already. I'd say it could be improved by adding some bright highlights. Maybe some very light blues (almost white in the extreme zones) on the skin, and some edge highlights on the axe and gun.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:11 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Thanks for the input. I'll go ahead and do that. Some of the highlights did get washed out by the light, but Ill try and get them to "pop" better.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:32 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
maybe something with the weapons also. They don't really have as much depth as it could, maybe a bit of drybrushing to bring out the details?

Check out my YouTube channel for battle reports, and painting videos!
http://www.youtube.com/user/wizardv12222?feature=mhee
Latest video, 3000 batrep, IG vs BA escalation rules!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:14 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Yeah, I need to pick up some tin bitz .. I only have darker metallics. However, I'm thinking about doing a gold/devlan mud wash on the main head of the axe to help break up the colors.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:18 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Do you have different metallics? Because painting some of the metal bits a different 'metal' color would go a long way ;)

"I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:43 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Since I joined the army, I had to start over with paints... Right now I have Boltgun, Chainmail, and Shining gold. What would you recommend for the metallic highlights? I'm always at my local gaming store :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:07 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Actually chainmail isn't bad, and Mithril is good for highlighting all metals.

"I dig how in a setting where giant, muscled fungus men ride Mad Max cars and use their own teeth as currency, the concept of little engineering dudes with beards was considered a step too far down the aisle of silliness."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:08 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

I was able to lighten up my skin highlights a little, as well as worked on the metallics. Still have to pick up some Mithril. Sorry for the slightly darker pic.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:32 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
yea the weapons look better now. Nice work.

Check out my YouTube channel for battle reports, and painting videos!
http://www.youtube.com/user/wizardv12222?feature=mhee
Latest video, 3000 batrep, IG vs BA escalation rules!