Greygore Boomhowler

Want to learn how to paint miniatures better? Have a picture you want to show off? Here is where you can do it!
MjHammond
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Greygore Boomhowler

Postby MjHammond » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:35 pm

Looking for advice to make Greygore Boomhowler stick out even more. I know the obvious " Make the base more interesting", I'll get to that once all my mini's are ready.

Asrodrig
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Greygore Boomhowler

Postby Asrodrig » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:54 pm

That's a pretty nice model already. I'd say it could be improved by adding some bright highlights. Maybe some very light blues (almost white in the extreme zones) on the skin, and some edge highlights on the axe and gun.

MjHammond
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Postby MjHammond » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:11 pm

Thanks for the input. I'll go ahead and do that. Some of the highlights did get washed out by the light, but Ill try and get them to "pop" better.

wizardv12222
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Postby wizardv12222 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:32 pm

maybe something with the weapons also. They don't really have as much depth as it could, maybe a bit of drybrushing to bring out the details?
3665 - Blood Angels
2000+ - Orks
1500+ - Space Wolves

Check out my YouTube channel for battle reports, and painting videos!
http://www.youtube.com/user/wizardv12222?feature=mhee

MjHammond
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Postby MjHammond » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:14 pm

Yeah, I need to pick up some tin bitz .. I only have darker metallics. However, I'm thinking about doing a gold/devlan mud wash on the main head of the axe to help break up the colors.

Dez
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Postby Dez » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:18 pm

Do you have different metallics? Because painting some of the metal bits a different 'metal' color would go a long way ;)
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

MjHammond
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Postby MjHammond » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:43 pm

Since I joined the army, I had to start over with paints... Right now I have Boltgun, Chainmail, and Shining gold. What would you recommend for the metallic highlights? I'm always at my local gaming store :D

Dez
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Postby Dez » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:07 pm

Actually chainmail isn't bad, and Mithril is good for highlighting all metals.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

MjHammond
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Postby MjHammond » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:08 am

I was able to lighten up my skin highlights a little, as well as worked on the metallics. Still have to pick up some Mithril. Sorry for the slightly darker pic.

wizardv12222
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Postby wizardv12222 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:32 pm

yea the weapons look better now. Nice work.
3665 - Blood Angels
2000+ - Orks
1500+ - Space Wolves

Check out my YouTube channel for battle reports, and painting videos!
http://www.youtube.com/user/wizardv12222?feature=mhee

Return to “Wargaming Miniature Painting”