Help with a color scheme

Want to learn how to paint miniatures better? Have a picture you want to show off? Here is where you can do it!
MrMcOwnage
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Help with a color scheme

Post by MrMcOwnage » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:25 pm

Hi all,
I took a break from wargaming for nearly a year but I'm back and I want to restart my Imperial Guard Footsoldier list. I've always had a lot of trouble with painting cloth, though, so I'm going to need some help with both technique and the type of paint to use.

My first question is how would I be able to achieve this kind of dirty blue uniform? I can manage the armor and metal well enough on my own, but the cloth is really stumping me. (Not my work. Got it from Santa Cruz Warhammer blog)

I know that you guys won't be able to tell me how it was painted, since you didn't do it, but I thought more trained eyes would be able to pick out at least the color and maybe take an educated guess of the dirtying technique. I thought it might be dipped or heavily washed with a black ink.

Any help you can provide would be great. Thanks
Armies:
Salamanders- 1500 pts (Check out my progress at Project Redemption)
Savlar Chem Dogs (IG) - 500 pts
Dwarves - 1500 pts
High Elves - 3000 pts

A Luna
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Re: Help with a color scheme

Post by A Luna » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:16 pm

It is really washed/inked. You can see that on his knee.

Of colors, I think:
regal blue, enchanted blue, wash black or perhaps a tiny bit of green.
Smile!
Tomorrow's going to be worse

Me: "was eating cake whilst drinking. was good"
Jackmrnorris: "This man is close to nirvana. It is known."

CMON Gallery
Youtube

MrMcOwnage
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: Help with a color scheme

Post by MrMcOwnage » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:47 pm

Thanks for advice. I asked because I thought I lost all my paints and couldn't do any testing on my own. Also because I am bad at painting(As I said above)

Fortunately, I found a few pots of paint that are still good and Enchanted Blue is perfect for that look. I tested it on a guardsman's arm holding a lasgun and I liked the result with just a white base beneath. I washed with Badab black after and it was pretty much done.

Would adding a brown wash along with the black wash give a bad effect?
Armies:
Salamanders- 1500 pts (Check out my progress at Project Redemption)
Savlar Chem Dogs (IG) - 500 pts
Dwarves - 1500 pts
High Elves - 3000 pts