Watering Down Your Paint

Want to learn how to paint miniatures better? Have a picture you want to show off? Here is where you can do it!
lotrmaster6
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by lotrmaster6 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:55 pm

You could just water it down a little by just adding a tiny drip on the top of your brush, else you will probably destroy your first layer and that would be a real waste of time.

Try to water down only if nessacery. When I paint I do use water, but just to make sure that my paint doesn't dry out. Just sometimes I use it for capes, but it is not really needed to give a great look to it.
Last edited by lotrmaster6 on Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kind Regards,

Lotrmaster6

judgedredd
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by judgedredd » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:20 pm

Really tough to give you a starting point as it depends on what you are painting. My best advise that I an offer is to experiment and find out what works. Use old Hot Wheels, strip down old minis and repaint them, etc. Soon you'll know what you are looking for and how to get a feel for the correct mixture.

lotrmaster6

Post by lotrmaster6 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:03 am

judgedredd wrote:Really tough to give you a starting point as it depends on what you are painting. My best advise that I an offer is to experiment and find out what works. Use old Hot Wheels, strip down old minis and repaint them, etc. Soon you'll know what you are looking for and how to get a feel for the correct mixture.
I agree with that. When you paint your own models, you will get a feeling for when to add water and when not. Just experiment indeed, you will get it sooner or later. ;)
Kind Regards,

Lotrmaster6

Stephen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Stephen » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:13 pm

I never use water mixed with my paint. It just makes it more runny and then streaks. I'd only do it if i wanted to add like oil stains or something to the side of the building. Otherwise it's straight paint for me.

If you want thin layers do what I do. BARELY dip the brush in so that just the very tip is ever so slightly having paint on it.
Sernpidal 25 ABY
Never Forget

lotrmaster6

Post by lotrmaster6 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:15 am

Hmm... Oké giving that one a try (if I haven't already done that before).
Kind Regards,

Lotrmaster6

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:00 pm

What are you trying?

the REALLY tiny layers or the watering down?

Because I'm pretty sure Middle Earth doesn't use machinery :lol:
Sernpidal 25 ABY
Never Forget

Vassago42
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by Vassago42 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:58 am

I suggest never watering Reds and Yellows. The physical properties of these colors is such that they are hard to get a good coating on the first layer in the first place. I usually have to do 2 or 3 layers without thinning them anyway!
Other colors are free game, just be mindful of the effect you want and how runny your paint is because its too easy to over dilute your paint.
If you only need a little bit of paint for a small piece like a warpstone, then wet your brush first then dab it into the paint and do 1 or 2 or so light swipes on a paint cloth to remove the extra paint and then paint your bit, this will thin the color and leave just enough paint on your brush to do the bit without thinning a glob of paint and potentially wasting it.
Again, practise is key. Too much water on the brush will overthin your color. Worst case, you make a mess. but thats ok! try again till you figure out what you want and how to do it.
~~ I chew on Lead Minis~~

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:09 pm

hm, I'll have 2 remember that.
Sernpidal 25 ABY
Never Forget