DrBored's Painting Journal - Pic Heavy - 8/31 pg. 10

Want to learn how to paint miniatures better? Have a picture you want to show off? Here is where you can do it!
DrBored
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #9Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

DrBored's Painting Journal - Pic Heavy - 8/31 pg. 10

Post by DrBored » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:56 pm

I intend to use this topic here to record my progress on my Chaos Space Marines army.

Here are the stats as they stand today:

HQ - Chaos Lord
-Bike
-Mark of Slaanesh
-Daemon Weapon (Blissgiver)

HQ - Chaos Sorcerer
-Mark of Slaanesh
-Lash of Submission

Elite - Chosen Chaos Space Marines - 10 Models
-Aspiring Champion w/ Power Fist
-Power Fist
-x3 Melta Gun
-Icon of Slaanesh

Troop - Chaos Space Marines - 10 Models
-Aspiring Champion w/ Power Weapon
-x2 Flamer
-Icon of Slaanesh

Troop - Thousand Sons - 8 Models
-Aspiring Sorcerer w/ Doombolt

Troop - Noise Marines - 9 Models
-Aspiring Champion w/ Doom Siren + Power Weapon
-x6 Sonic Blaster

Troop - Lesser Daemons - 10 Models

Transport - Chaos Rhino

Fast - Chaos Bikers - 3 Models
-Flamer
-Icon of Slaanesh

Heavy - Havocs - 10 Models
-Aspiring Champion w/ Icon of Chaos Glory
-x4 Heavy Bolter

Heavy - Predator
-Twin-Linked Lascannon
-Lascannon Side-Sponson
-Dozer Blade

Total: Approx. 2000 points

And here are the images I have to share with you so far!

The Frontline...

Aspiring Champion of the Chosen, and Aspiring Sorcerer...

Conversion Work with my Predator and Chaos Lord on Bike...

A few Marines, the first a Chosen, and the second with a Chosen on Left and Noise Marine on Right...

And finally, my army as it stands so far:

As you can see, some Noise Marines with Sonic Blasters have yet to arrive, along with the squad of Bikers... I'll post more as I continue to paint them!
Last edited by DrBored on Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:55 pm, edited 29 times in total.

DrBored

Re: DrBored's "Unmarked" CSM - Journal - Pic Heavy - 1/19 update

Post by DrBored » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:14 pm

A little update...

Here's my Sorcerer close up. I made him out of leftover parts from the Thousand Sons, Predator, and Terminator Lord...

And an update on the Predator. Removed the Twin-Linked Bolter and added parts from the Daemonettes...

And a closeup on the rhino. The banner is from the Daemonettes too, along with some green stuff tentacles coming up around it...

DrBored

Post by DrBored » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:51 pm

Currently don't have the wash inks, but I'll look up some tutorials and the results to see if I can find some that I like.

I've seen other people that seem to take washes way too far, and their figures look really muddy. I'm worried that that's how mine would turn out :P

DrBored

Post by DrBored » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:36 pm

Zeruel13 wrote:If you've seen any of my Night Lords every single one have them has the washes used on almost every major colour on the model.
And your guys look great.

I'll definitely look into that. I don't want to dull any of the black, but I'll see if I can make a dark green wash to go over the green parts.

DrBored

Re: DrBored's "Unmarked" CSM - Journal - Pic Heavy - 2/13 update

Post by DrBored » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:52 am

I've made quite a few changes over the past month, particularly to the army make-up. It may change even more (will probably add a few more rhinos later), but it still stands as a 2000 point army, now completely Slaanesh, lacking a few marks (where they would serve little to no purpose).

HQ - Chaos Lord
-Bike
-Mark of Slaanesh
-Daemon Weapon (Blissgiver)

HQ - Chaos Sorcerer
-Wings
-Familiar
-Mark of Slaanesh
-Lash of Submission
-Doombolt

Elite - Chosen Chaos Space Marines - 10 Models
-Aspiring Champion w/ Power Fist
-Power Fist
-x3 Melta Gun
-Icon of Slaanesh

-x2 Flamer
-Icon of Slaanesh

-Aspiring Champion
-x2 Plasma Guns

Troop - Noise Marines - 8 Models
-x6 Sonic Blaster
-Blastmaster

Troop - Lesser Daemons - 10 Models

Transport - Chaos Rhino

Fast - Chaos Bikers - 3 Models
-Flamer
-Icon of Slaanesh

Heavy - Havocs - 10 Models
-x4 Heavy Bolter

Heavy - Predator
-Twin-Linked Lascannon
-Lascannon Side-Sponson
-Dozer Blade

Total: Approx. 2000 points

Of particular note, I removed the Thousand Sons and replaced them with a squad of regular CSM with Plasma Guns. I prefer the higher strength of the plasma guns over the higher AP of the inferno bolters. Losing the aspiring sorcerer will be the biggest hurt, but now my army is completely devoted to Slaanesh. In the future, as I build up towards 2500 points, I'll be adding another squad of Noise Marines (made for assault while the other remains shooty) and at least 2 more Rhinos and 2 more bikers, and possibly even a small squad of Possessed for a little surprise.

I'd like to think I have a fairly good balance of shooty and choppy, and am prepared for different attacks. What I do lack is transport in this army. It's going to get difficult to cut back any farther to add more rhinos, unless I really chop something down. I may end up having to heavily downgrade a few squads, particularly the Sorcerer, and will possibly even have to get rid of the Lesser Daemons completely for smaller matches.

I also like to think that I have a good balance of anti-tank and anti-infantry. Between the las predator and the melta/powerfist chosen, along with the plasma gun CSM, I have some anti-vehicle, and between the havocs, daemonettes, and my HQ's and other CSM (not to mention the Noise Marines) I have plenty of anti-infantry, and am prepared for swarms. Feel free to argue, and tell me your point of view! I have yet to play any games at all.

I do wish I had another Havocs Squad, probably Las or Missile Launcher based, something I could switch the heavy bolters out for, depending on the strategy. Or I could switch the Havocs for lascannons and replace my predator with a vindicator. The blast template would help greatly. I doubt I'd invest in terminators, unless I got rid of the Chosen, which I need for their infiltrate and anti-vehicle orientation. IMO, having more troops trumps more vehicles. One lucky shot from a single las can trump a single huge vehicle, but that same las would have a hard time defeating a whole squad of havocs equipped with proper meat shields. Then again, one large blast template could take out a whole infantry squad if I'm unlucky, so I guess we'll see!

I don't know what you guys do, but what I have is what I have. I have a squad of plague marines and a squad of noise marines, as well as possessed, and a few havocs extras, but nothing that could properly contribute to my army to keep it slaanesh. Essentially, what I have here is what I have. What do you guys do? Is there anyone that has huge numbers of troops or vehicles that they can switch out for depending on the strategy, or do you like to do it like this, having what you have and trying to make an army that can adapt to any strategy without buying extra models to switch out?

Also, personally, I'm not a huge fan of Terminators! For one, 50 dollars for 5 seems a little ridiculous for me, and aren't they metal and not plastic? I love converting, so if they were metal, that'd just be a huge disappointment. On top of that, unless I went for the full squad of 10 in a much, much larger match, I just don't see them fitting in my particular strategy. I have the marks, so I could fit them in if I needed to, but Daemons seem to work just fine, and I'd rather have a Greater Daemon alongside my HQ's. Terminators also seem to go hand in hand with Land Raiders, which I also wish to avoid. Both terminators and land raiders can be greatly upgraded and can find their own place, and considering, if you take 3 land raiders as your Heavy, and 3 full squads of fully upgraded terminators as your elites, well, there's a buckload of points right there if you really had a desire to use up everything for those choices.

I dunno, that's just me rambling while I wait for photobucket to upload the darn pictures! Ignore me please!

I haven't made much progress on painting, but I figured I'd take closer pictures, and give an update of the army as a whole, so here it is! Hope you guys approve!

My new sorcerer HQ...

My Army, and closeups of the squads...

Finally my completed Biker Squad...

And lastly, some conversion work I did to make a Chaos Banner, Objective point or whatever...

MiniWarGamer Tristan
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by MiniWarGamer Tristan » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:21 pm

sweet job! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Don't stand in the way of Tyranids...
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him on your
(")_(") signature to help him on his
way to world domination

nuttyluke
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by nuttyluke » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:52 am

the objective marker is really good
"Never mind maneuvers, always go at them" - Lord Nelson

Cadian501st
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Cadian501st » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:54 pm

Nice looking army, I really like the color of the chaos space marine, they look really cool. :D

DrBored

Post by DrBored » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:56 pm

Just a little update. I finished painting another of the chosen. This was the 'slaanesh' head out of the 10-man csm box. It's the first time I've painted flesh, and seeing as I have a squad of daemonettes, and a few other guys with skin exposed, I wanted to get some good practice. I'm happy with parts, not so happy with others. I think it still needs more work, but here goes.

TheCave
Now we're getting somewhere...

Re: DrBored's "Unmarked" CSM - Journal - Pic Heavy - 2/16 update

Post by TheCave » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:44 pm

I love that first biker. The HXC one with the double base. That guy is sweet.

DrBored

Post by DrBored » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:32 pm

TheCave wrote:I love that first biker. The HXC one with the double base. That guy is sweet.
That's my Chaos Lord, equipped with bike, daemon weapon, and mark of slaanesh on the back there. I'm really glad you like it!

Justin's Eldars
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Justin's Eldars » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:44 pm

Thats one nice looking army
"The mind of the Farseer is utterly inhuman in its depth and complexity. Without mercy or moral feeling, his consciousness stands upon the edge of spirtual destruction...."
Inquisitor Czevak

nuttyluke
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by nuttyluke » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:12 pm

That slaanesh chosen is great
Despite your doubts about his flesh, i think you've handled him greatly :D
"Never mind maneuvers, always go at them" - Lord Nelson

DrBored

Post by DrBored » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:54 pm

Whew.

Well guys.

I've finished my first full squad.

In the past, I thought my first finished squad would be my Thousand Sons, but when I decided to remove them from the army, I stopped painting them. Now the Chosen Chaos Space Marines, with 2 power fists and 3 meltaguns, along with an Icon of Slaanesh are now my first fully painted squad.

A few things to note: I included an 11th guy with a plasma pistol just to show him off. Chosen can only have 10 to a squad. The Aspiring Champion is the guy with the most spikes on his backpack.

Here goes...

Hope you like how they turned out. I know I do!
My next painting project will be my Chaos Rhino. It's already partly painted.

You may also notice a few spots that seem.. blacker than the rest of the black. Sadly, the Citadel spray primer doesn't have the same gloss that the GW paints have, so you end up with that. In normal light, it looks fine, and only a really harsh eye will notice, but when you add in a flash in these pictures, it stands out ridiculously.

DrBored

Re: DrBored's "Unmarked" CSM Journal - Pic Heavy - 3/04 pg. 2

Post by DrBored » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:07 am

Alright, so I got my second Rhino. I had to get a Space Marine Rhino, since they were out of the Chaos ones at my local hobby shop. That's ok though, all the base pieces are exactly alike, and I had enough extra bits to chaosify it up enough. It's nice having some of the SM upgrades too (like a little radar dish and the SM rhino guns) so I've decided to make the new one my 'Command Rhino'. Not that it means anything, but I'll give it some extra detailing to make it look a little spiffier, as if that's where the major decisions are made on the field or whatever.

Also finished modeling my Chaos Sorcerer on a bike. Pics of all of this coming soon. I used pieces from Daemonettes of Slaanesh, Thousand Sons, the bike of course, a Tzeentch Icon, some vehicle bits, and even the whip from Lucius the Eternal! I turned it into a blade-whip, with a power sword blade at the end. Should look pretty sweet when I start painting it. Like I said, pics soon.

Sadly, my Chosen squad is no longer complete. After looking at the strategy, I took out the two Power Fist-wielding Chosen and replaced them with a Meltagun and a Champion with 'lightning claws'. Really, I just used claws taken from the Possessed and gave him one of the Possessed's backpacks to make him look special. But, that means that now I have more models to paint (2) to finish that squad. That'll be what I work on first, and then I'll do my best on my first Chaos Rhino, which has a lot of the first color on it.

I also intend to start work on an objective marker that I made for the first Mini of the Month entry, but never managed to finish. Hopefully I'll be able to make you guys happy with that.

See you next update!