It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:48 am 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
I just used detol to strip my necromunda gang and it worked great! Also weakened the superglue...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:48 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Is simple green re-usable?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:07 pm 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge
thunderfire wrote:
Is simple green re-usable?

I have used the same jar full for the past few months. Eventually it will be really dirty and you will have to replace it. But it should be good for a while. :wink:

...Blue

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:48 pm 
MiniWarGaming Regular

Do you guys know any cheap strippers that i can use to strip large amounts of models at a time? i am looking at using them to prepare some old models for the army in a year challenge and also i need enough to strip some old vehicles. i would like to avoid the more toxic strippers like brake fluid.

Thanks for any suggestions.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:36 am 

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge
dndragonx wrote:
Do you guys know any cheap strippers that i can use to strip large amounts of models at a time? i am looking at using them to prepare some old models for the army in a year challenge and also i need enough to strip some old vehicles. i would like to avoid the more toxic strippers like brake fluid.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Have you read the original post here? There is a detailed description of almost every type of solvent we can use to strip our minis. Take a look to see all of the options but I would recommend 'Simple Green'. It's clean (it's actually biodegradable soap), safe and really easy to use. The smell can be off putting at first but it grows on you. I also recommend to soak the minis in water for a day or two first. It helps soften the paint just a bit. :wink:

...Blue

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:11 am 
MiniWarGaming Regular

alright thanks, i did take a look at them but i wasnt sure which to use. but thanks for the pointer. im gonna go and see if i can find simple green

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:03 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges
I thought I'd share my experience with removing paint from plastic miniatures, because I haven't found many people talking about ultrasonic baths & stripping.

I was sick and tired of scrubbing my 30+ plastic minis and soaking them in simple green for 24 hours at a time so I investigated ultrasonic baths.

After seeing one at a decent price on eBay (not one of those cheap plastic ones, but a stainless steel one, that I will be able to use on my airbrush), I bought one.

The minis were almost all stripped after their regimen of 24 hours of simple green, scrub, scrub, rinse and repeat anew (3 times), but I was so fed up yesterday I took them out, rinsed them and put them aside to dry even though there was still a lot of stuff in the nooks and crannies.

When I received my ultrasonic bath (less than 24 hours... fast shipping!) I put some water (with no detergent) in it and dropped the minis in bunches of 5.

As soon as I started the ultrasonic bath, the white primer left on the minis just "exploded" in a puff of white dust in the water. When I took them out, they were clean!!!

Now I can just imagine next time when I put minis to strip with some simple green in the ultrasonic bath... Almost looking forward to it :lol:

I guess the simple green did its job of loosening the paint, and the ultrasonic bath took it out of the hard to reach areas! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:34 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

I have never heard of an Ultrasonic Bath...and am now intrigued.

I recently tried removing paint from some old models with bacon grease and a can of Guiness....IT WORKED....
Ok no it didn't but the bacon was wonderful and the beer was delicious!

Seriously though, great thread. Very useful for those "Master painted" mini's you get off ebay..........

I'm Long Winded :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:13 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Nail polish remover without Aceton should do the job, but make sure you test it before stripping your entire army. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:45 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Just a quick question, Does pinsol work? I am just asking since i have some in my house and would rather not go out and buy something else if i got something that works here.

Tournament stats:
Number of tournaments attended so far: 4
W:5 L:3 T:4
When in doubt, vindicators are the answer.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:52 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges
Spifomie wrote:
Just a quick question, Does pinsol work? I am just asking since i have some in my house and would rather not go out and buy something else if i got something that works here.

It attacks plastic. If you do use it, don't let the minis for more than 15 minutes if they are covered in paint.

DAMHIKT...

I would not recommend for plastic minis. Most likely for metal ones, though. Much faster than SimpleGreen.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:44 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Something Ive found that works the best especially when stripping a lot of miniatures is all about speed. I threw about 30 or so boyz in a tub of 50/50 mix of simple green and purple clean or (royal purple) and letting it sit for about a week. After doing this process a couple times with other various miniatures i found it easier to use an electric tooth brush. Cheap ones that run off of double A batteries can be found at walmart for about 6 dollars. The vibration is perfect to cause no damage to your models and to take off all the paint and prime coat all in one swipe. Hope this helps someone. :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:56 am 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Anyone know of a way to dissolve plastic glue? Or does it form a permanent bond? thanks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:42 am 

MarcoTheGreat wrote:
Anyone know of a way to dissolve plastic glue? Or does it form a permanent bond? thanks

From what I have read about plastic glue is that it really isn't much of a glue but more of an acid that literally melts both ends being glued fusing them together. Ultimately making it one solid piece of plastic. I think your best bet would be to get a razor knife and slice and dice!

Good luck.
...Blue

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:51 am 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Thanks again, Blue. Was wondering because I wanted to remove the arms from my fire warriors to get access to the chestplate, but I probably won't bother. You can't really see the chestplate anyway, so no matter.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next