It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:09 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
Ugh.... there is one safe way to strip paint. It works just like striping all paints. Its pine sol diluted with water.
Keep your models covered completly in the liquid for 72 hours (thats to remove paint and primer)

Patapon13

ps models may seem to inflate cause the paint just comes off

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:07 am 

Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #8Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges
Well Harold! Nice going. I really needa try stripping a model, but Hvae given up. I have none of those products.

Later our very smart Chemist Harold!

Dark Angels - 650 pts

TERMIES- GK!!! viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12533

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:48 pm 
lol, wear safety glasses

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:05 am 
Now we're getting somewhere...

I'm trying Rubbing Alcohol. Seems to be working fast and well. Any known issues with it?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:53 am 

Ribbons Earned: Participated in the Inaugural Painting Pledge
Anybody know if actual paint remover will work on metal minis? Its this jelly stuff that removes paint off of surfaces instantly. I'm asking because I heard it corrodes the pewter and/or lead in minis.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:57 am 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
I would be hesitant to try that one out, then.
For metal, I almost always use Nail-Polish Remover. It works great and even gives the metal a new shine. I use it before I paint them too, to get all the mold release off of them. The only problem is that it will melt plastic, so I have to pop the model off of its base, as well as any plastic kitbashing or converting that I've done.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:53 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry
Petimus wrote:
I'm trying Rubbing Alcohol. Seems to be working fast and well. Any known issues with it?

Rubbing Alcohol (Isopropyl Alcohol, or Isopropanol, or IPA) is fine for stripping metal miniatures. It is a weak solvent and you may be able to get away with using it on plastic as long as you dont run off and leave a miniature submerged for a week in it. It is flammable so please observe all necessary safety precautions, safety glasses, ventilation, no open flame or crazy orks with flamers.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:57 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry
I am not familiar with the jelly type paint remover you are talking about. Just as principle with all of the above described methods available to everyone, I would recommend using one of the already established methods. If they are not conveniently available to you and the jelly type remover is, then by all means give it a shot, but try it on one miniature first. Test it as harsh as possible so you know for sure whether it will damage the miniature or not. Try it on a plastic and a metal model, preferably something that is not a hugely important miniature. See how it works, and when you are finished, report your findings here so we call all discuss and share the knowledge. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:03 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Participated in the Inaugural Painting Pledge
Vassago42 wrote:
I am not familiar with the jelly type paint remover you are talking about. Just as principle with all of the above described methods available to everyone, I would recommend using one of the already established methods. If they are not conveniently available to you and the jelly type remover is, then by all means give it a shot, but try it on one miniature first. Test it as harsh as possible so you know for sure whether it will damage the miniature or not. Try it on a plastic and a metal model, preferably something that is not a hugely important miniature. See how it works, and when you are finished, report your findings here so we call all discuss and share the knowledge. Thanks!

I just tested it...

It melted the plastic mini XP
For the metal one, it did take off the paint but not a lot of it. I think this happened because it is designed to be used on large flat surfaces. I just wanted to see what would happen if it was used on a mini. Overall, I would primarily use something on the list, but would still use it if there is nothing else avalible. I would not go out and buy it for only stripping minis :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:23 pm 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Ribbons Earned: Participated in the Inaugural Painting PledgeHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge
I saw a brand called "Green Works" is this similar to Simple Green? Or is it just eco friendly ? :P

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:58 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges
haha, the big words in red are correct. :Dpaint+turpentine in your eye hurts ;)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:51 pm 
MiniWarGaming Regular

im contemplating using simple green but i was wondering, does it eat the glue too? i used zap-a-gap glue [i dont recommend at all] i dont know if that makes a difference. my dad washed his truck with simple green and the mirrors fell off becuase it dissolved the glue lol

I'm the weapon they can't outrun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:53 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #9
could i use kerosine on my metal models because it seems to work on removing rust.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:58 pm 
itsn't kerosene explosive?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:40 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #9
kerosine isnt explosive it is flamible but i tried it and it worked well but after about five models i just soaked them in acetone for five minutes and scrubed them with a toothbrush.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next