It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:15 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
using cheap primers

You will always hold a special place in the organ that pumps my blood.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:43 pm 
First post! Good job, now post more...

Would you be willing to share your recipe for your flocking blend? Your "100 Orks in 8 Days" video says that you use a blend of five different grasses/flocks + gravel.

If you are willing to share: which grasses, in what ratios, and how much gravel?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:44 pm 

Hello,I am from Greece and I am new in painting .I am painting my friend's chapter of space marines and they are white.So my question is :what is the best way to highlight white space marines ?

Epic Duck Mike wrote:
Hey gang,

I've been throwing around the idea of doing a video segment similar to Dave's "Ask a Wargamer" that's specifically about the painting and modelling aspect of the hobby, tentatively called "Ask a Warpainter" because I'm feeling very uncreative at this moment.

Here's the conundrum... I need painting/modelling related questions! So on that note, Ask me something! Be as specific or as vague as you want to be.

There's no guarantee I'll answer each question that comes up, or answer your question *exactly* as you worded it - I may tweak them a little to make advise I give more generally useful etc.

Oh and please, don't ask *really* specific things like "How do I paint an Ultramarines Terminator Librarian?" - that's a complete tutorial in itself and kind of beyond the scope of this video :)

Cheers,
Mike

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:34 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

How do you paint white cleanly.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:24 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Are there any special things I should do when painting metal mini's?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:51 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

not sure if this is the right spot to post this, but I don't really see any where else to post it.

Maybe some pro painters can give out some tips of taking care of your brush and how to use the brush well? I know the basics ( don't bend the bristles, don't let paint dry or get up to the fertile) but other then that... I notice that when I paint the paint either dries up really quick. I dip the brush maybe 2 or 3 strokes later and It's dry and needs to be dipped again. Am I doing something wrong?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:46 am 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

what is a good way to paint bleached bone colours and skull white colours?

It really annoying that you hvae to layer them up, and everytime i paint something skull white, it looks horrible, i want a smooth finish but always end up with a lumpy matt-like finish, as shown on my dark angels apothecary on my flickr page

With bleached bone, for some reason, my bleached bone always chips easily and im constantly having to put on extra coats

My WIP http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=70250

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:38 pm 
Now we're getting somewhere...

Here's a noob question: How do I paint me some orky checks and make it look nice?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:59 pm 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
The trick is to paint basecoat the area you want to be checkered in the lighter of the two colors first. For example, if you're doing black & white checks, first paint the area white (you may need to do several thin coats to get adequate coverage, or use a foundation paint like Astronomican Grey to get it light first). Then you can either use painters tape to mask off the areas you want to add checks to or freehand if you've got a steady enough hand.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:34 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge
I cheat when I do my checkers for my orks.

I do start with a gray coat and than paint up to white, so far so good.

Then I take a Sharpie pen and draw squares. I then fill up the squares with Chaos Black. Throw a badab black wash. And that's it.

I don't claim the results to be amazing or anything, but it kinda looks like this:

Just click to get a better look.

==========================

Here's my question:

With the GK coming out, I'm interested in starting a small elite army of them. However, I really dislike the look of 'full metal' army... it's probably because I don't know how, but they usually end up looking flat and detail-less. To me, metalic colors are awesome in small amount (A blade, the barrel of a gun, an armor plate on an ork), but a full on boltgun metal marine... yuck.

So any tips or idea?

Here's what I'm thinking about:
- Prime Gray
- Wash with Badad Black (to make the details stand out)
- Heavy Dry brush with Boltgun Metal followed by a light drybrush with Chainmail
- Do details.... Blue for the eyes, Bleached Bones for the 'bone like' decoration, Blood Red for the 'books' and Stormbolters
- Do smaller wash on the details (Ogryn flesh on the bones, Baal Red on the books)
- Highlight the decoration with the base color.

This is a lot of drybrush, so it'll never win any painting competition or anything, but the model should look a lot more 'alive' than a big wall of boltgun metal.

There is only the Emperor,
He is our shield and Protector!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:36 pm 
MiniWarGaming Regular

I have a question about washes. Well I think it is an ink. But I am painting Blood Angels for Space Marines and after I spray, undercoat it white, and paint it blood red and parts Chaos Black. It says to give it a wash of Dark Flesh.
I would just like to know how do I apply this wash? Do I just paint it on?

MUHUHULAAAAAAAAAA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:44 am 

ok guys, i gotta question. I'm new too the world of warhammer and could use all the help i can get on my army looking good and performing with perfection (almost, its the luck of the dice). Can anyone message me some secrets on painting space marines?? or painting in general? please message me! thanks!!! no spamming -.-

i'd appreciate all the tips and secrets i can get, thanks! :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:32 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges
vertigo116 wrote:
I have a question about washes. Well I think it is an ink. But I am painting Blood Angels for Space Marines and after I spray, undercoat it white, and paint it blood red and parts Chaos Black. It says to give it a wash of Dark Flesh.
I would just like to know how do I apply this wash? Do I just paint it on?

Washes are designed to flow into the deep parts and crevices of a model so basically you just paint it on the area you want to shade. The wash will do the rest.

12,000 points of Marines

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:59 pm 
Now we're getting somewhere...

Dry Brush vs. Wash.

When to use each? I've watched videos with TONS of washes being used and others in which dry brush was king with limited washes. Can anyone explain to me when to use each and why? (i.e. Treat me as if I'm a retarded zoo chimp)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:15 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge
I'm a bit puzzled at the 'vs' angle, as for the most part, dry brush and wash do the opposite thing of each other...

As mentionned, wash will slip into the crevies of the models and make the model look more defined and 'sharper'. As a general rule, you want to use either a black wash (all around) or a wash with the same color tint as the color it will cover.

Unless you intend to do some blending (which is pretty advanced), you should pretty much always use a wash - it's easy and it pretty much is an idiot-proof way to make your model look better.

Drybrushing on the other hand, will usually hit the protrusion of a model. In a way, it's a lazy and unprecise way to do highlights. If your highlight skill sucks, it might actually be better for you to drybrush. There's no shame in that. Even if your highlighting skill are good tho, drybrushing is a lot faster and may be a good option if you're painting a lot of models.

In short:
Base color
+ Wash to darken the models and make the detail more apparent.
+ highlight to lighten up protrusion (Drybrushing can be used to do this).

There is only the Emperor,
He is our shield and Protector!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next