Natural Light

Want to learn how to paint miniatures better? Have a picture you want to show off? Here is where you can do it!
Gavvy
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Gavvy » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:09 pm

Maybe to get an exact colour, since certain colours look different in different sorts of light.

MiniWargamerDave
Site Admin

Post by MiniWargamerDave » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:00 pm

The natural light light bulb is a good idea. The most common light people are accustomed to using is an incandescent bulb which gives off a yellowish tint. Whereas the natural light bulb is more effective at showing the true colors of your objects or miniatures. Also if you're able to produce diffused natural light that's even better. Diffused light allows you to cut down on the amount of shadows that are produced which ads clarity and professionalism to any photos you may take. That's my two cents.

lotrmaster6
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Re: Natural Light

Post by lotrmaster6 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:12 pm

Kosh wrote:I'm in the process of setting up my painting area and I purchased a lamp. I've read somewhere that it's important to use a 'natural light' light bulb when using a lamp. How important is this? I would assume that most of the time models are viewed in gaming stores or gaming days/conventions where it's all artificial light anyway.
I agree with our oppinion about models in stores. They are under artificial lights most of the time. But just for painting them it gives you a better finish if you use the "natural light".
Kind Regards,

Lotrmaster6

Stephen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Stephen » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:10 pm

Or (god forbid) you could actually GO OUTSIDE AND USE ACTUAL NATURAL LIGHT.

Nothing like the real stuff i say.
Sernpidal 25 ABY
Never Forget

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:45 pm

Easy. you wait till the next day. All i'm saying is that i don't see the point in buying a lamp if you can go outside. now if you live in a really cold place (like what Wisconsin is right now) Idon't see the problem with going into your garage or outside, setting up your backdrop and snapping some shots. Plus cieling lights should be just fine if you have to take the photo.

The only exception in my eyes is if thier shadowed by you.
Sernpidal 25 ABY
Never Forget

DavicusPrime
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by DavicusPrime » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:57 am

For me the best light in my house is on my kitchen table due to the vast amount of natural daylight I get there... The problem: I am forced to do most of my work at night.

The next best place then is the florescent lights in my Kitchen. Not perfect but good enough for painting and the occasional photo.

Diffused light is always the best... Using a direct light source makes the shadows so distinct that it's easy to miss a lot when painting.

-DavicusPrime

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:33 pm

Me, I'll always actually take my photos outside if i can. Other wise my room (though small) will do pretty good.
Sernpidal 25 ABY
Never Forget

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:55 pm

ohhhhhhhhhhh :o

Well that case my room would be the best place for photos. thats where me and my little bro do all of our painting.
Sernpidal 25 ABY
Never Forget

Vassago42
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by Vassago42 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:52 pm

Kosh wrote:
Stephen wrote:Me, I'll always actually take my photos outside if i can. Other wise my room (though small) will do pretty good.
This isn't just about photos, you've missed the point. It's also about your eye, you will see color differently under different types of light. Let's say you are painting outside in natural light. You mix up a certain color, but don't finish with that color. Later on, you want to paint inside under a normal fluorescent light. When you try to mix that same color again, it may not come out the same because now your light has a yellowish tinge to it.

when mixing paint, if you suspect you are going to need to repeat the process, try and figure out a way to measure the paint you mixed. Either using a scale that weighs in grams to one decimal point, or by using eyedroppers and counting the number of drops of each color. Whatever you come up with, as long as its reliable and somewhat accurate. Record this information. This will help you be able to better repeat color mixes in the future. Especially if you need to repair a color you mixed a year or more ago and may have forgotten how you mixed it.

For Lighting:

I suggest CFL's. Compact Flourescent Lightbulbs. The little swirly bulbs that fit in a regular incandescent socket. They produce good quality lighting. They are also cheaper on the power bill to use, better for the environment, and are still flourescent, and they tend to have a longer lifespan. Most businesses and buildings use flourescent bulbs so the colors will most closely match under these same conditions. Read the packaging, use the white bulbs, try to avoid the aesthetic colored bulbs.

Also, if your budget allows, maybe think about acquireing a poseable desk lamp or drafting lamp. A free standing one or one that clamps onto the side of the desk is adequate. It allows you to move the bulb around to get different lighting angles on the models you are working with. I have 2 on my bench, a normal drafting light that is poseable and another that has a magnifying glass built in with the light so i can see the really really small bits more clearly.

-harold
~~ I chew on Lead Minis~~

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:12 pm

Ok, Ok. i get the point.

Different lights have different effects on colour. But me and my bro are pretty cheap so we'll manage with outdoor photos and some in or rooms.
Sernpidal 25 ABY
Never Forget