It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bubbles in paint.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:45 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
Super quick question here, I can't seem to figure it out myself so I figure I will ask here.

When I am thinning my paints (not always but sometimes), I get tiny little bubbles of air in the paint. When I move the paint around on the miniature, it seems to get worse and spread. I tried loading up my paint brush and then blowing on it to get the bubbles out, as well as tapping but that didn't seem to help.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Bubbles in paint.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:16 pm 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
What paint are you using, brand and color?

I sometimes have this problem with mashed up brushes, but usually adding a bit of water reduces surface tension and breaks the bubbles.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:21 pm 

I use P3, Reaper, Citadel, and sometimes Vallejo.

It doesn't generally happen with the Reaper or Vallejo, but alot more in the Citadel and P3.

I use a wide range of colors, so it would be too much to list. :(

The weird thing is that it happens only when I water down my paints, which I always do..but it doesn't happen all the time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:29 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge
What are you using to thin your paints?

...Blue

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:34 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
If it's tap water I'd say that's the culprit.

Try distilled.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:39 pm 

Reaper Flow Improver and sometimes tap water.

You know, now that I think about it, it must be the tap water. I mainly use the Flow Improver for my washes (I make my own), but when I do use the FI to thin I don't get the problem.

Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:45 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge
Bigbul wrote:
Reaper Flow Improver and sometimes tap water.

You know, now that I think about it, it must be the tap water. I mainly use the Flow Improver for my washes (I make my own), but when I do use the FI to thin I don't get the problem.

Thanks guys!

:wink:

Another thought would be if your brushes came into contact with some type of oil. The cogs and gears I'm using on my current bases had oil on them. (they were stripped from an old dishwasher) I had thought I cleaned them enough but apparently I didn't and my brush got an oily residue. Had to throw that one out. :|

...Blue

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:12 pm 

I remember having this problem when I painted up at my grand parent's house. They have hard water and the mineral content of the water was causing all kinds of problems.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:54 am 
Gold Vault Member

Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge
Hm, I also encounter this from time to time, mostly with lighter colours like whites and yellow. I thin with distilled water and flow improver from W&N. The bubbling ususally doens't harm the paintjobs though, they pop by themselves.

Dark Eldar - 200ish
Dark Eldar painted - 0

"Repent! For tomorrow you die!"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:05 pm 
Now we're getting somewhere...

A friend of mine actually complained about the same problem. At least I figured it was because she was painting on plastic miniatures, but the same issue occurred with the metal ones she purchased. So obviously it wasn't the material that was at fault.

The question of tap water vs. distilled is an interesting one. I'm not entirely sure what she uses, but if she's indeed using tap water, I'll be sure to suggest that she uses a different type. Are there any other types of substances that could perhaps thin out the paint while maintaining consistency?