Are Tau's main colours too mainstream?

Want to learn how to paint miniatures better? Have a picture you want to show off? Here is where you can do it!

Do you like the tau's main colour scheme?

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 20

Dtram
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Participated in the Inaugural Painting Pledge
Location: Where the Orks frolic side by side, on roving hills and in gumdrop forests

Are Tau's main colours too mainstream?

Post by Dtram » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:19 am

Now I know alot of people don't usually like whatever the most used and recommended colour scheme for the army their talking about, but for Tau I actually really like their main colours.

Their usual colours I'm talking about are a mainly yellow and light brown, with a more chocolate brown on some parts.

I really like this colour scheme, but if someone was to have them would they not really be noticed as much, no matter how well they are painted, if there not a more different colour scheme.

I really like these colours, but I still want people to like the look of my army even if its not a more unique colour scheme.

So what do you think?

Stephen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Stephen » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:06 am

I admit that yes it's a cool scheme, but I personally like to make up my own schemes. then you know that your army is unique. Like I always liked the Urban Tau armies people made.
Sernpidal 25 ABY
Never Forget

Beren the half-elf
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: RED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Post by Beren the half-elf » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:47 am

I said yes!

But, a white and black colour scheme looks cool, kinda like stormtroopers!
They look really menacing!
I am you and you are me, and both of us are one,
who am I, I ask, you ask, the guessing game's begun

Vassago42
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by Vassago42 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:08 pm

I voted no. I am not a big fan of monochromatic color schemes, but I do understand the need for a uniform army. Tau, in my opinion, arent nearly as pretty as most Marine paint schemes. When the Tau march to war, it seems like a wave of runny baby pooh is creeping across the game board. Maybe thats just me. Change the main color to an offshade of purple or red or white would be much much more pleasing to the eyes. Their main color however does fit thier role in the greater good. Perhaps Grey and shades thereof would suit the Tau well. Anyway, i just find shades of brown across the board quite bland.

-harold
~~ I chew on Lead Minis~~

Dtram
Location: Where the Orks frolic side by side, on roving hills and in gumdrop forests

Post by Dtram » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:12 pm

Thanks for voting everyone.

Well I would probably prefer to make my own colour scheme, but I always worry when I do that. that it will end up really bad and wreck my figures =\

Beren the half-elf
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Beren the half-elf » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:50 pm

There ARE ways to remove paint easily you know!

Gavvy
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Gavvy » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:22 pm

I think that they're just quite bland.

Dtram

Post by Dtram » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:31 am

Beren, is there any ways to remove the paint that can be done pretty easily and without spending alot?

Beren the half-elf
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Beren the half-elf » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:32 am

Do you have rubbing alchohol? :wink: Put plastic models in there and it should work! :P

Dtram

Post by Dtram » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:43 pm

Hmm, so just get a big bucket or bowl or something of rubbing alcohol then just put them all in there (same time or in groups of like 5?) then wait for....?

Beren the half-elf
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Beren the half-elf » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:49 pm

I put 2 or 3 models in acup of rubbing alchohol for about 3 hours and it worked charmingly! :P

lotrmaster6

Post by lotrmaster6 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:14 pm

About the colour scheme, just make up your own, it might not look really good if you try it for the first time, but like everything, you need to fit the right colours together.
Kind Regards,

Lotrmaster6

DavicusPrime
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by DavicusPrime » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:27 pm

I assume you end up with spare parts after assembling Tau minis just like all the other armies out there with plastic models, yes?

I have used spare arms and/or heads to test out color schemes before. This could be a good way to save your self some trouble.

I like all the basic tau color schemes the GW folks have come up with. But I've seen lots of good original colors schemes I like too. I personally like the idea of an Urban camo pattern using various shades of blue and grey.

Saw a temperate camo scheme on some devilfish at the shop last week. I liked it too. But for Tau a blocky/streaked pattern seems to fit the race better than the more organic splotchy (is that a word?) look of some real world camo patterns.

-DavicusPrime

Stephen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Stephen » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:15 pm

If you need to repaint your models just reprime them in Chaos black.
Sernpidal 25 ABY
Never Forget

Vassago42
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by Vassago42 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:47 pm

Reprimeing over layers of paint will mottle the sculpting detail mate.

I suggest brake fluid, or Simple Green for plastic bits. and Metal usually takes a good solvent like nail polish remover (which is acetone and toluene). Nail polish remover will melt your plastic bits in seconds so be careful what you put in there. Brake fluid will not melt the plastic, I've left plastic in that fluid for weeks and it never melted, but it is slow in getting the paint off, usually takes a few days and a few scrubbings to get it good and clean. Simple Green is more costly but can be found in the cleaning section of a hardware store or automotive department i believe, it works pretty well.

-harold
~~ I chew on Lead Minis~~