Prime white over Black?

Want to learn how to paint miniatures better? Have a picture you want to show off? Here is where you can do it!
Newgash
Silver Vault Member

Prime white over Black?

Post by Newgash » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:02 pm

Already primed hexwraiths black, dont want that, should i prime with white again or paint white base layer?

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Prime white over Black?

Post by LordMcAllister » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:18 pm

I'd soak it in sanitizer from the pharmacy for a few minutes and scrub it off with a toothbrush.
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

Rouven
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Post by Rouven » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:26 pm

The main reason for the application of primer is that the next layer of paint has a surface to stick on. So if you use an airbrush, you could just add a few thin coats of white paint. However, if you don't use an airbrush, I would add a layer of white primer (and perhaps another layer of normal white paint) - mainly because this layer will be much thinner than a few layers applied with a normal brush (and you WILL need multiple layers of white paint over black primer).
Painted in 2018:
Death Guard: 1 Malignant Plaguecaster, 2 Rhinos, Typhus, 20 Poxwalkers, 1 Beast of Nurgle, 10 Plaguebearers, 1 Predator
Dark Angels: Cypher
Shadespire: Spiteclaw's Swarm (5)

Rouven
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Post by Rouven » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:26 pm

LordMcAllister wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:18 pm
I'd soak it in sanitizer from the pharmacy for a few minutes and scrub it off with a toothbrush.
Yeah, that's also a good idea.
Painted in 2018:
Death Guard: 1 Malignant Plaguecaster, 2 Rhinos, Typhus, 20 Poxwalkers, 1 Beast of Nurgle, 10 Plaguebearers, 1 Predator
Dark Angels: Cypher
Shadespire: Spiteclaw's Swarm (5)