What brushes to start painting?

Want to learn how to paint miniatures better? Have a picture you want to show off? Here is where you can do it!
That1Dud3
Now we're getting somewhere...

What brushes to start painting?

Post by That1Dud3 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:15 am

So I will begin painting for the first time soon and after going through a myriad of guides and videos, I’m still left wondering what are the bare minimum brushes I will need to start out? I’m only looking for base coats and washes on my models.
“I’ve missed years, I can’t waste minutes now.”

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: What brushes to start painting?

Post by Guildenstern » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:22 pm

There's lots of good options out there, from GW to others. You're looking for a basic round #2 for just about all of your work except fine detail like eyes.

Broken Toad, Rosemary & Co, Army Painter, GW, Windsor & Newton Series 7 - all good brushes, some better than others, tho opinions vary.
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Munin
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Munin » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:53 pm

Save yourself a lot of heartache and hassle and get natural hair (e.g. Kolinsky sable) brushes and a pot of Masters brush soap. if you take care of them, natural fiber brushes keep their tip much longer than synthetics.

hislittlecuzin
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by hislittlecuzin » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:26 pm

I found that GW's "Large Brush" is pretty good for infantry at basic standard but in reality I mostly use the following:

Royal Taklon numbers, "1 BK 60", 5, 6, 10, "5/8"
American Painter 2 "4350 Liner"

Less often I use these:
Citadel Large Drybrush
Citadel Large Brush
Citadel Starter Brush

But I don't dry brush.
Guardsmen are like ants. No matter how many get vaporized, they just keep on coming. Why can't pancakes be the same? I would pass the salt, but I just got tabled.