Death Guard Tentacle/Flesh Help - New to 40k

Want to learn how to paint miniatures better? Have a picture you want to show off? Here is where you can do it!
unflushable
Now we're getting somewhere...

Death Guard Tentacle/Flesh Help - New to 40k

Post by unflushable » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:40 am

Hello All,

Just got into Warhammer40k after falling in love with the Death guard, Papa Nurgle smile upon me.
Been looking at guides all over to paint my Death Guard and I am pretty happy with the results on my first miniature.
C&C always welcome =)
Image Image

Now the issue I have currently that is literally keep me up at night is how do I do the tentacles and flesh like the box art? I have attempted as seen above on the foot to do Rakarth Flesh -> Druchii Violet -> Rakarth Flesh -> Palid Wych Flesh but to me doesn't look right. Would love any recommendations or tutorials to help me out here. I may be a bit silly for wanting the box art standard, especially being brand new to 40k but I really want to give it a good crack =)

Examples of what I am looking for:
Image Image Image

Maybe I have the colour correct but I suck at the flesh parts :oops:

Many thanks in advanced!
Fred

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Death Guard Tentacle/Flesh Help - New to 40k

Post by Guildenstern » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:19 am

I haven't watched a lot of the latest WHTV stuffs but there are quite a few tips for nurgle/deathguard I would check out:

https://www.youtube.com/user/GamesWorks ... eath+guard

IMHO from what I can see the main difference in the painting from what you're doing is they have chosen a direction or almost an OSL for the tentacles, that is, they seem to go from flesh to the wash colour at the tips generally.

I think if you were to highlight with that thought in mind, and do more of the druichi violet wash on the ends, and maybe underside? it would approach the box art more.

Anyway just my two cents!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

unflushable

Post by unflushable » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:38 am

Guildenstern wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:19 am
I haven't watched a lot of the latest WHTV stuffs but there are quite a few tips for nurgle/deathguard I would check out:

https://www.youtube.com/user/GamesWorks ... eath+guard

IMHO from what I can see the main difference in the painting from what you're doing is they have chosen a direction or almost an OSL for the tentacles, that is, they seem to go from flesh to the wash colour at the tips generally.

I think if you were to highlight with that thought in mind, and do more of the druichi violet wash on the ends, and maybe underside? it would approach the box art more.

Anyway just my two cents!
Hi Guildenstern,

hmmm I shall try the extra washes towards the tips and see how that goes, should get the desired affect. Its the colour of the pale parts best seen on the blight lord terminator that doesn't look like Rakarth flesh and is confusing me :?

Cheers,
Fred

Iguana1981
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Iguana1981 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:12 am

Not sure but I think it looks more like Kislev flesh rather than Rakarth flesh.
Maybe Kislev flesh, thinned wash of reikland flesh shade, kislev flesh, pallid wych flesh with thinned washes of druchii violet
Excellent paint job though.
Chaos ~ 679PL/11998 Dark Angels ~ 282PL/5449 Tau ~ 121PL /2152 Eldar ~ 217PL/3828

Chrissmith785 on Instagram

unflushable

Post by unflushable » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:44 pm

Thanks for the replies, just wanted to update I have found a blog from one of the Games Workshop team who did the box art version (or at least their take on it). After weeks of searching I found found it =D!

"The flesh areas are painted with Kislev Flesh, shaded with Reikland Flesh diluted with Lahmian Medium. I added shades with diluted Screamer Pink, before lightening by adding white to my base coat."

Credit: Morbäck
http://leskouzes.blogspot.co.uk/search/ ... th%20Guard