Help for a noob painter

Want to learn how to paint miniatures better? Have a picture you want to show off? Here is where you can do it!
tubealloy
Now we're getting somewhere...

Help for a noob painter

Post by tubealloy » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:30 pm

Hi everyone!

I've watched all the painting 101 videos and been painting for about a week now, I had a few questions if any kind experienced folk would be good enough to help me out.

1) Splitting brushes

I've watched the brush care several times and I'm using a 1 and 3/0 windsor and newton series 7 as my main brushes. I rinse between reapplying paint to the brush and I wash and leave brush cleaner in the bristles after bringing to a point each night. Despite that I've noticed a tendency to split when I'm painting which I normally fix by twirling on the palette. Is this normal or showing that I'm doing something wrong? I do sometimes get paint up to the ferrule accidentally when thinning paint on the palette but immediately wash if I do. I have noticed the paint tends to wick up to the ferrule on the 3/0 with any slight bit of thinning at all though, even without thinning if there's any moisture in the brush. I assume I'm doing something wrong here? I'm using vallejo paint if it makes any difference.

2) Painting nice bright white

I'm attempting to paint white t-shirts on some models which have been undercoated white, however I'm up to coat 4 or 5 and I'm still getting an uneven coverage as the paint is pooling in the recesses of the model. Shading will probably take care of this but are there tips for getting a really nice vivid white? Is this the exception where you shouldn't thin your paints? I tried thinning much less ( 3 drops of paint to a medium load of water on the no 1. brush ) which made it a bit whiter overall but still with the difference in tone.

3) Tips for preventing and fixing beginner mistakes ( painting the wrong bit)

I get it, it's going to take time :D I can already see how much I've come on in a week of painting an hour or two a night but does anyone have some nice tips for minimizing painting the wrong areas? What I've started doing myself is painting "in to out" and light to dark so I paint the deepest part of a model first. Eg - Skin -> T-shirt -> armour and for any tie-breakers I paint the lighter colour first which helps but I still slip and overload my brush and all the other beginner mistakes.

Also any tips for minimizing mistakes? The best I've come up with so far is wiping a slipped brush mark with my thumb but I can rarely get my thumb into the sorts of places I'm slipping into :oops:

If you're still here then thanks for reading this far

Iguana1981
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Re: Help for a noob painter

Post by Iguana1981 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:52 pm

Hiya,

Just a couple of points, as you have said keeping paint out of the ferrule is essential, each time you reapply paint to your brush roll on the palette to keep the point, wash frequently even whilst using the same colour. Also look at painting brush soap, they sell it on amazon or in art shops. Experiment with the water, try a little less.

White is notoriously difficult to get looking good. Thin coats but not to thin. Vallejo model colour is a good brand for white, much better than GW's in my opinion.

As far as minimising mistakes, I keep a clean brush to one side, if I make a mistake I wet the brush and gently rub the erroneous paint off. Just keep your brush with small amounts of paint.

Most of all stick with it and keep positive. If you practice, as you have been, you will come on. Oh and start a Work in Progress thread show us how your getting on, there are some great painters on here that can help.
Chaos ~ 679PL/11998 Dark Angels ~ 282PL/5449 Tau ~ 121PL /2152 Eldar ~ 217PL/3828

Chrissmith785 on Instagram

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:33 pm

tubealloy wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:30 pm
Hi everyone!

I've watched all the painting 101 videos and been painting for about a week now, I had a few questions if any kind experienced folk would be good enough to help me out.

1) Splitting brushes

I've watched the brush care several times and I'm using a 1 and 3/0 windsor and newton series 7 as my main brushes. I rinse between reapplying paint to the brush and I wash and leave brush cleaner in the bristles after bringing to a point each night. Despite that I've noticed a tendency to split when I'm painting which I normally fix by twirling on the palette. Is this normal or showing that I'm doing something wrong? I do sometimes get paint up to the ferrule accidentally when thinning paint on the palette but immediately wash if I do. I have noticed the paint tends to wick up to the ferrule on the 3/0 with any slight bit of thinning at all though, even without thinning if there's any moisture in the brush. I assume I'm doing something wrong here? I'm using vallejo paint if it makes any difference.
From my experience that is simply paint getting into the ferrule, so yup brush soap as Iguana mentions, will be your friend. Also, I'd really suggest getting a size 2 brush when you can, a 3/0 (or 000) is great for like, eyes, and a 1 is good for fine details, but a 2 overall will really help a lot. It has a larger belly than the 1, so it dries out slower, holds more paint without having to pick more up and the W&N (or Rosemary & Co) #2 has a great tip, suitable for almost everything I've found.

RE: Mixing - use an old brush (or just a cheap one), or the end of your brush, to mix your paint on the palette it'll get less paint on your good brushes, and also less wear and tear on them.
2) Painting nice bright white

I'm attempting to paint white t-shirts on some models which have been undercoated white, however I'm up to coat 4 or 5 and I'm still getting an uneven coverage as the paint is pooling in the recesses of the model. Shading will probably take care of this but are there tips for getting a really nice vivid white? Is this the exception where you shouldn't thin your paints? I tried thinning much less ( 3 drops of paint to a medium load of water on the no 1. brush ) which made it a bit whiter overall but still with the difference in tone.
That right there is like the holy grail my friend hehe

What I do: I only use off white. Not pure white. If you haven't based or primed a light colour, I will do a brown over my primer (cuz I usually prime black), go up to something like Zandri Dust, or a khaki (Iraqi Sand for Vallejo is perfect), then go over it with my off or ivory white. Then if you want a pure white, go over it with that.

If the paint's pooling in the recesses, you do have it too thin. It's hard to do, you just have to keep practicing to get it where it works for you. Everyone tends to do it a bit differently as well, which maybe doesn't help. Just keep on keepin on! You'll get it :D
3) Tips for preventing and fixing beginner mistakes ( painting the wrong bit)

I get it, it's going to take time :D I can already see how much I've come on in a week of painting an hour or two a night but does anyone have some nice tips for minimizing painting the wrong areas? What I've started doing myself is painting "in to out" and light to dark so I paint the deepest part of a model first. Eg - Skin -> T-shirt -> armour and for any tie-breakers I paint the lighter colour first which helps but I still slip and overload my brush and all the other beginner mistakes.

Also any tips for minimizing mistakes? The best I've come up with so far is wiping a slipped brush mark with my thumb but I can rarely get my thumb into the sorts of places I'm slipping into :oops:

If you're still here then thanks for reading this far
Yes! I learned this the hard way myself, basically I work from "inside out" kinda what you're saying. Now I'm not doing a lot of blending etc on the model, I'm just painting a basecoat, then a wash, then highlight and maybe a second highlight on areas like skin. Some people glaze a lot and blend colours on the model to make the highlights, that's not something I'm conversant with so how you approach it may be different.

So, in my way, you paint hard to reach areas first, nvm if you slop over some. I'm a pretty messy basecoater. I like to do all the basecoat at one time, then move on to highlights. Some people do all the skin first (highlights, everything) I don't like to do that because I can't be messy with the other coats then lol

After you do the hardest to reach areas, I'll pick something with a large area, like skin, or pants, and do them. Again nvm the mess. I mean obviously try to be neat but don't worry about it a ton. Then I move on to other areas like the metals. Once all that's done, I'll neaten up any area that is too messy and apply the wash. Once the wash is dry I am a lot more careful and start my highlighting, again, starting with areas that might brush up on others, or are harder to reach.

Anyway I hope that makes sense! It's a lot easier to do than to explain haha

RE: mistakes - again as Iguana said, keep a spare brush (I actually will hold one in my teeth sometimes) and immediately wipe the area. It'll usually come right off. When it doesn't just mark that as an area to neaten up later.

Another final tip I've learned - hold the model at different angles. Including upside down. This will help show you areas you've just completely missed or couldn't see from the main angle.

Good luck and I hope you do put up a WIP thread - everyone's great here, you'll get lots of help we all had to start somewhere so don't feel like your stuffs not up to 'it', whatever it is lol

Happy painting!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

coldsteel
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by coldsteel » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:16 pm

What I've done for white is start off with a light grey or even medium grey then build up highlights to white...
Crucifiers (SM codex) (11881/703 PL)
Orks (3745/255 PL)
Astra Militarum (####/378 PL)
Fallen Crucifiers (CSM codex) (####/351 PL)
Khornate Daemons (####/65 PL)
Death Guard (2387/128 PL)
Primaris Marines (1099/60 PL)

tubealloy

Post by tubealloy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:37 pm

Just logged in to say thanks to everyone for the great help, I've been up the walls for the past week so didn't get a chance to check in on the thread until now. Here's my first painted models, they're a lot less terrible than I thought they'd be but still a lot of room for improvement. I do intend to give another few coats of matte varnish to take down the shine on the non-metallic parts of the models although I might leave the bruisers sweaty :D

Models are cons from dreadball xtreme box set
[+] Expand
[+] Expand
[+] Expand
Last edited by tubealloy on Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Iguana1981
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Iguana1981 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:15 pm

That's the beauty of this hobby, your progress is evident, right before your eyes.

I've never seen the dreadball minis, I like these. And as for your paint job, that is a great start.
Chaos ~ 679PL/11998 Dark Angels ~ 282PL/5449 Tau ~ 121PL /2152 Eldar ~ 217PL/3828

Chrissmith785 on Instagram

Marit Lage
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Marit Lage » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:58 pm

tubealloy wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:37 pm
Models are cons from dreadball xtreme box set, I couldn't get the img tags working :oops:
What you'll want to do is copy the image's location on the page, and post that using the [ img ] tag. You can also surround it with a [ spoiler ] tag to hide the image until it's clicked on, which helps those with lower bandwidths.
[+] Expand
Chaos Space Marine Tactica (old)
Models painted in 2018:
2 Exalted Champion
Dark Apostle
Abaddon
7 Raptors
2 Chaos Bikers
5 Chaos Terminators
4 Custodians

tubealloy

Post by tubealloy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:45 pm

Marit Lage wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:58 pm
tubealloy wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:37 pm
Models are cons from dreadball xtreme box set, I couldn't get the img tags working :oops:
What you'll want to do is copy the image's location on the page, and post that using the [ img ] tag. You can also surround it with a [ spoiler ] tag to hide the image until it's clicked on, which helps those with lower bandwidths.
[+] Expand
Perfect I've updated my post using this, thanks a million