Basecoat and primer tips

Want to learn how to paint miniatures better? Have a picture you want to show off? Here is where you can do it!
BeardOfFury
Bronze Vault Member

Basecoat and primer tips

Post by BeardOfFury » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:58 pm

Hey all,

I'm looking at getting a Farsight Enclaves army going (I've been out of 40k for agggeeess) and I went ahead and bought the Tau painting guide. For that awesome Farsight red the guide recommends a basecoat of Khorne Red, a Nuln Oil Wash, and then a layer of Khorne Red. So I'm wondering if I base coat in Khorne Red (either manually or air brush) do I need a primer as well? And if so what kind of primer should I use?

Thanks in advance.

Litanyoffury
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: Basecoat and primer tips

Post by Litanyoffury » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:06 pm

I would recommend a primer first as I use the retributor armour spray and find that of you miss even a small bit it's harder to touch up plus it gives you a better surface to paint on. However for khorne red if you use white or black primer you will end up with slightly different shades of the red . White will give you a brighter red but the black will give you a slightly darker red ( for that farsighted enclaves red I'd pick this one). So if it was me I'd go black and the hit it with khorne red :) hope this helps I can't wait to see them!
It's grim? It's dark? Sounds like my thing .....

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:02 am

You prime your mini in order for the basecoat to grab a better hold on your mini. Else your basecoat might come off more easily. Therefore you should always prime your minis before painting them.
Up untill now I've always used the Games Workshop brand black (or white) primer so I lack experience to compare it to something else. But I've always been happy with it.
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

BeardOfFury
Bronze Vault Member

Post by BeardOfFury » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:16 pm

Awesome, thanks for the tips everyone!

Htedomsa
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Htedomsa » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:47 pm

Citadel Primers have never let me down but recently I've been using Krylon spray paints. They're cheaper and have many colors similar to those found in the Citadel line. If you have access to an air brush though I'd say use that depending on preference.
~Htedomsa~
[/color][/b]
"If your good at anticipating the human mind, it leaves nothing to chance."

Rouven
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Post by Rouven » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:06 pm

According to the GW homepage only their black and white are meant as actual primers. All the other colours, such as Mephiston Red or Mournfang Brown, are meant as basecoats. Have you ever tried using these colours (i. e. not black and white) as primers. I assume that since they contain solvent they should be able to "melt" to the surface of the mini and, therefore, be able to stick to it quite well. However, primers are also meant to provide a kind of (very very subtle) texture that the following (normal) paints can cling to. Do colours such as Mourning Brown also provide this kind of surface?
Painted in 2018:
Death Guard: 1 Malignant Plaguecaster, 2 Rhinos, Typhus, 20 Poxwalkers, 1 Beast of Nurgle, 10 Plaguebearers, 1 Predator
Dark Angels: Cypher
Shadespire: Spiteclaw's Swarm (5)

Iguana1981
Bronze Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting Pledges

Post by Iguana1981 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:19 am

i used the mephiston red as a spray basecoat for most if not all of my Khorne Daemonkin, worked well.
Chaos ~ 679PL/11998 Dark Angels ~ 282PL/5449 Tau ~ 121PL /2152 Eldar ~ 217PL/3828

Chrissmith785 on Instagram