Ink Washes without the "glossy" look

Want to learn how to paint miniatures better? Have a picture you want to show off? Here is where you can do it!
Sheeb
MiniWarGaming Regular

Ink Washes without the "glossy" look

Post by Sheeb » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:36 pm

Hey guys, does anyone know how to achieve an ink wash look without having it appear all glossy? Is there anything you can do to make it not shinney, and make it dull or dirty???

I'm trying to make my Tau look very ugly, and glossy finish ontop of them just wouldn't come accross.

However i really need to do this wash for my details and effects i'm using on the model.

Any suggestions, or answers???
Bring Back Earthworm Jim!

MiniWargamerDave
Site Admin

Post by MiniWargamerDave » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:11 pm

The first thing that came to mind was scuffing it using sandpaper. That may prove to be difficult especially in hard to reach areas. So you may want to go with a file. Aside from this, you can dry brushing paint of that same or similar color of your wash over top of your wash coat. That'll definitely allow for a worn/rough look. Hope this helps.

Vassago42
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by Vassago42 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:01 pm

Try a matte clear coat sealant (or any non-Gloss type). Either spray it over the whole mini or if you purchase the liquid paint type brush it onto the desired areas and see if this accomplishes the effect you desire. If you happen to get the liquid type, get acrylic of course, so its water soluble, you can try watering down the matte sealant and washing it on just like you did with the ink and see how this works. I havent tried any of these suggestions yet, just ideas. I do use a matte spray sealant for my minis though just to avoid anything being extra shiny.

-harold
~~ I chew on Lead Minis~~

Stephen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Stephen » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:12 am

Hm a roughed up look. Well after you apply the paint what you should do is take a pice of sandpaper to it to get rid of the gloss and rough it up a bit.
Sernpidal 25 ABY
Never Forget

gwarfan
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by gwarfan » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:18 pm

You could water down your ink. Make it really thin, like colored water, and wash your model. It may take a few coats to see the effect. Hope this helps.
Funny thing about weekends when your unemployed, they don't mean quite so much. Except you get hang out with your workin' friends.
Primus