Homemade modeling Putty recipes.

Want to learn how to paint miniatures better? Have a picture you want to show off? Here is where you can do it!
Stephen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Homemade modeling Putty recipes.

Post by Stephen » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:42 pm

It may be kindergartenish, but it SHOULD work.

After searching for the last few days for something that sounds simlar to the propeties of Green Stuff i think I might have found it.

here's the link to the site then

http://www.kinderinfo.com/crafts/modeling-clay.htm

Hope this works
Sernpidal 25 ABY
Never Forget

lotrmaster6
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by lotrmaster6 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:49 pm

I can't make clay out of this discription, but what I do know is that this is no good use for green stuff. It's nice for cheap clay for sure but not for greenstuff, because they state that you should press out any cracks that appear while the clay is drying. I cannot sit and wait for a crack to appear and press it out ;). But maybe it works anyway, Just give it a shot
Kind Regards,

Lotrmaster6

Vassago42
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by Vassago42 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:06 pm

That would work for non detailed terrain building, but not as a Green Stuff replacement. Green Stuff is an epoxy 2 part resin system that creates an interlinked molecular matrix when it cures which gives it its rigidity. The formula with the cornstarch and water will cure when the water evaporates leaving the starch particles bound by salt crystals which isn't very tough and will not hold the level of detail as green stuff. Plus it is susceptible to water again. The homemade clay would best be used for terrain modeling, like rolling hills, filler, molding rocks and crags, building bases, molding walls or bricks. It would be fantastic for that. It is a good find for sure, but not suitable for green stuff replacement.

-harold
~~ I chew on Lead Minis~~

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:05 am

Well unless we have a chemist in the forums I don't think we have a chance of making something homemade that's on par with Green Stuff.
Sernpidal 25 ABY
Never Forget

lotrmaster6

Post by lotrmaster6 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:28 am

You could use some sort of clay, and dye it. In that way you can change the position of his arms and legs if you play the game. But I suppose you should better use magnets for that ;)
Kind Regards,

Lotrmaster6

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:47 pm

Well I'm all for magnetic hardpoints on vehicles (that way you can put on different weopons suited for each diffeent mission)

But as for minis, just put tham in cool poses.

Like the Dire avenger squad I'm building I got one guy tossing a frag grenade while ducking for cover. looks sweet.
Sernpidal 25 ABY
Never Forget

lotrmaster6

Post by lotrmaster6 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:33 am

make a picture of it and upload it to the forums, I would like to see that :)
Kind Regards,

Lotrmaster6

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:10 am

Actually he still needs to be assembled.

Right now I have the body/ head glued and the grenade glued to the left hand. But me and my friend'll be posting a vlog and some photos on Friday hopefully.
Sernpidal 25 ABY
Never Forget

Vassago42
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by Vassago42 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:23 pm

Stephen wrote:Well unless we have a chemist in the forums I don't think we have a chance of making something homemade that's on par with Green Stuff.
Point of fact. I am a chemist. Organic Chemist specifically, and I happen to work in a polymers labaratory making polymer resin coatings, spray foam polyurea, and similar products. We specialize in epoxy resin systems, polyaspartics, polyurethanes, etc. Which is why I know a little something about Green Stuff and how it works and what its designed for. It will be very difficult to find a suitable replacement for green stuff without access to raw materials used in the industry and a functional lab. You are basically trying to improve on a product that many people with big paychecks spent many hours designing for this specific purpose. Im not saying it cant be done, anythign can be improved, its just that this will take more than what most people have laying about in thier homes.

-harold

lotrmaster6

Post by lotrmaster6 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:42 am

I'm totally sure that it takes more then what people have laying around in their houses. Else there would aready be a tutorial on internet on how to do it ;)
Kind Regards,

Lotrmaster6

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:07 am

Well for some eason I don't think it's completely legal to have a lab with dangerous chemicals (HCl, etc) in your home, lol.

Wel looks like we'll have to pay the 8 bucks after all...sigh
Sernpidal 25 ABY
Never Forget

Vassago42

Post by Vassago42 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:19 pm

Im not sure about overseas, but in America, it is fine to have a home lab. The legal issues arrise if you start using the lab to synthesize illegal products such as narcotics. Or, you illegally possess controlled substances, such as phosphoric oxide.

-harold

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:13 am

Ok, I didn't know that (and I live in WI so c\thats cool)

But I don't think any of us feel like mixing chemicals for hours on end just to make a good modeling putty.
Sernpidal 25 ABY
Never Forget

willowstig
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by willowstig » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:56 am

Vassago42 wrote:That would work for non detailed terrain building, but not as a Green Stuff replacement. Green Stuff is an epoxy 2 part resin system that creates an interlinked molecular matrix when it cures which gives it its rigidity. The formula with the cornstarch and water will cure when the water evaporates leaving the starch particles bound by salt crystals which isn't very tough and will not hold the level of detail as green stuff. Plus it is susceptible to water again. The homemade clay would best be used for terrain modeling, like rolling hills, filler, molding rocks and crags, building bases, molding walls or bricks. It would be fantastic for that. It is a good find for sure, but not suitable for green stuff replacement.

-harold

Did you say matrix????
awwssoommee

A13X
Now we're getting somewhere...

Re: Homemade modeling Putty recipes.

Post by A13X » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:17 am

Thanks for that, I have been looking for ages on a cheap putty/clay substance that I can use to make hills for.

The fact it cracks shouldn't be an issue for terrain making as you can just glue static grass or sand to cover the cracks...

Thanks a lot mate. :)

-A13X