Airbrushing kit

Want to learn how to paint miniatures better? Have a picture you want to show off? Here is where you can do it!
SyntheticDuckie
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Airbrushing kit

Post by SyntheticDuckie » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:40 am

Hey guys,

I looked for a post about this already, I didn't see one. Maybe I missed it but I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Whats a mid range airbrush kit to do bases and model primers with. Looking for a .3 unless I should look for a different one? Anyway, any directions would be stellar!

For example

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-3-Airbrush- ... vi-content

Is that decent? I'd be willing to pay a bit more.

Thanks

Switchblade
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Airbrushing kit

Post by Switchblade » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:14 am

IMO, you don't need 3 airbrushes, especially since needles and the like are interchangeable in most brands. I'd go pick up an Iwata, it comes standard with a .35mm, which is fine for priming, etc. Make sure the compressor you get has a water-trap, and can pump out atleast 30 PSI.
"I find myself reaching for that giant underbed box of Legos from when I was still a kid for bits." - Switchblade
"Switchblade, you are my hero." - eNi

Check out my Painting Services
http://tinyurl.com/b38xlnp

SyntheticDuckie
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by SyntheticDuckie » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:24 pm

Which Iwata do you suggest for priming and bases ?

Switchblade
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Switchblade » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:26 pm

Iwata Revolution or Eclipse will do you nicely, they do run around $100, and with a good compressor (I paid $50 for mine, but I went cheap.) That will do you very well for base coats and priming. Once you get a little bit of practice under your belt it'll also be high enough quality to do fading, shading, OSL, etc.
"I find myself reaching for that giant underbed box of Legos from when I was still a kid for bits." - Switchblade
"Switchblade, you are my hero." - eNi

Check out my Painting Services
http://tinyurl.com/b38xlnp

Lizardmandk
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by Lizardmandk » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:18 pm

This all being said. Whats everyones opinion on the spary air cans? is it worth starting out with one like that or should someone just go straight out and get the compressor?
~LizardmanDK~

Oceangrave0
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Placed First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Oceangrave0 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:38 pm

I personally started with the compressor and it does make a difference because the air cans will eventually get cold and ruin the paint if they are used a lot in one sitting
OH YES HE HAS RETURNED!
Your local chaotically infused servitor
"I'm starting to wonder if Ocean is in fact a plague marine." - Soria